“An excellent gallery and exceptional value for money”

Museo del Novecento
Ranked #30 of 951 things to do in Milan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museo del Novecento, located inside the Palazzo dell'Arengario in Piazza del Duomo, hosts a collection of over four thousand works that catalyze the development of 20th century Italian art. The Museo del Novecento was established on 6 December 2010 with the goal of spreading knowledge of 20th century art and offering a more comprehensive insight into the collections that the city of Milan has inherited over time. Beside its core exhibition activity, the Museum is active in the conservation, investigation and promotion of 20th century Italian cultural and artistic heritage with the final aim of reaching an ever wider audience. With an eye toward the city, the Museo del Novecento develops around multiple locations. The Permanent Collection follows a chronological path where collective exhibitions alternate with solo art shows. The grand spiral staircase inside the building welcomes visitors and introduces them to the visit of the Museum with the Il Quarto Stato (The Fourth Estate) by Pellizza da Volpedo. The bookshop and the restaurant are the Museum's meeting places. The Neon by Lucio Fontana represents a final embrace to the city. Reflecting Milan's feverish cultural dynamism, the Permanent Collection is essentially the story of several private collections that have been brought together thanks to the generosity and passion for art of many private collectors. Since its inception, the collection has been augmented by major gifts from artists, collectors and philanthropists who play an active role in the growth of the Museum's heritage, which today reflects the rich trajectory of art from the early 20th century through the present. An outstanding example of architecture and, today, an impressive installation communicating directly with the city, since 2010 the Palazzo dell'Arengario has accommodated the Museo del Novecento. This landmark building, designed by Griffini, Magistretti, Muzio, and Portaluppi, was renovated by the Rota Group to host a richly layered collection of 20th century Italian art. The transformation of the Palazzo dell'Arengario was dictated by the need to organize the composition of Milan's Civiche Raccolte d'Arte (Municipal Art Collections) around two distinct poles. While the historic premises of Villa Reale were meant to host collections dating from the 19th century, the Palazzo dell'Arengario was singled out for the exhibits of 20th century artwork. The latter was particularly meaningful for the harmony existing between its architecture and the collection it was meant to display. This project enabled to best exploit the interior premises, while turning the building into one of the major cultural places in Milan. The grand spiral staircase inside the building is probably the most impressive architectural feature of the Museum: a functional element that connects several levels, from the subway up to the panoramic terrace overlooking the Duomo.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is an excellent gallery that tells the contribution of Italian artists to the history of art. It's a great way to get a comprehensive insight without being too much to take in, I would say you need between 1-2 hours but you could easily spend longer. The building itself is very impressive and much bigger than it first looks from the outside and is an excellent blend of old style Italian and modern architecture.

As you work your way around the building it has sections dedicated to key periods and the layout of the gallery forms a timeline enabling you to easily see how the various movements developed and what the key features are that linked them. The layout is also interesting and is not your usual collection of several floors of large, rectangular white (boring!) rooms and this helps make it more interesting to navigate (you also get an excellent view out over Duomo Square as a bonus) as well as give you time to really appreciate what is on show without ever feeling you need to rush as the gallery is not over crowded. There are even some pieces you can walk through.

I am lucky to live in London where we have many, many amazing galleries but I have to say this is one of the best I have ever visited. The whole collection is well thought out, interesting and has an excellent story to it; the (free) Warhol exhibition at the end was an added bonus. You do not even need to have a good grasp of art and it's history to enjoy this place as you learn so much as you go along and I left this gallery feeling truly invigorated, it was a definite highlight of my trip to Milan and I would definitely want to go again should I return. Had I have gone on my first day in Milan I think there’s a good chance I would have gone back for another visit before I left!

And the most amazing thing about all of this? The price – just €5! An absoluter bargain and a must-see for anyone visiting Milan. Highly recommended!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,625)
All reviews
"excellent collection"
"twentieth century"
"fascinating collection"
in 3 reviews
"great view of the duomo"
"piazza duomo"
in 10 reviews
"two hours"
"centre of milan"

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had a couple of extra hours to kill at 4:30pm in Milan on the last day of our holiday and so we Googled some of the museums to spend a couple of hours in. We noticed this one opposite the Duomo and didn't know what it was until we did some online research.

First good point, it was open until 7:30pm.
Second good point, it was only five euros to get in.
Third good point, it was a museum of twentieth century art, so Milan's answer to the Tate Modern in London.

Now, the Tate Modern is fine and relatively enjoyable, but I found the art here in a completely different league in terms of my tastes. I'm not one of those poncey art lovers or critiques; I just like looking at odd pictures and sculptures.

Some of them were really to my taste and the fact you got some amazing views of the Duomo and the Piazza out of the windows as you wended your way up the different levels was a nice bonus.

Completely out of the blue, we stumbled on an Andy Warhol exhibition (apparently on until September), which topped the visit off nicely. I'd missed one recently in a local town, so to get this one, Marilyn Monroe, Campbell Soups et al, was a great treat.

I know we are spoiled in London that so many of our museums are free, but for five euros, that's hardly a bank balance sledgehammer and it was worth every penny.

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Right next to the Duomo cathedral, I loved this gem of a gallery. Featuring a who's who of the movers and shakers of modern Italian art, it really taught me my Martinis from my Modiglianis. That gave me a great base of knowledge to appreciate the other key galleries and houses of Milan.

The perfect antidote to the hustle and bustle of Duomo. Plus as a bonus, its view of the cathedral and piazza are breathtaking. Don't miss.

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Art Lovers Go if you have a 1.5 hours to spare, and only €10. Get the audio headset bc it explains ALOT that you might not get by just looking at art. There was no line to wait to enter.
Location beside duomo is fantastic.
Be sure to check out the Programmed & Kinetic Art in Palazzo Reale level 2- Fun Art Installations!
As the century comes to the end, the art becomes more and more obscure and odd. I enjoyed it! If you are one of those people who can look at ART and say, I don't understand how they call that art, go and enjoy the history thru ART the 1900's ...