“We loved the hotel”

Ranked #7 of 428 Hotels in Milan
London
“We loved the hotel”
Reviewed April 17, 2009

This property beat our expectations significantly. On approach my wife was left checking the booking sheet to make sure we had actually booked such a fantastic old style grand hotel. We were upgraded at check in, the staff were very kind to us, the food was excellent (tip: order room service a-la-carte rather than paying €45 each for breakfast). The standard of the new rooms is perhaps the best I have ever stayed in (including some of the Four Seasons chain). The complimentary limo service is a must-do if you want to be driven over to the boutiques or La-Scala area. The public areas were exceptional. This is a top 5 star experience for a reasonable room rate. Food and drink were expensive in the hotel but quality was excellent. Glad we went there, would love to be back some day and can only hope the refurbished lobby looks as good as the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I was so looking forward to my first experience of this hotel as it has great pedigree and it is still a celebrity haunt, but what a let down. I'm sure that those in the know don't spend any time in the bar or restaurant or around the lobby. The hotel is outdated and staid.. The lobby is being refurbished at the moment which doesn't help either and I believe the rooms are also being treated to a remake. If you do book here (and I have no idea why you would) make sure you get a redecorated room at least. This is my main gripe, but service is also poor. When I arrived I asked for my clothes to be pressed and was assured they would be.. It was not done.. No explanation or apology, just a shrug.. Breakfast is 45 Euro per person and is pleasant enough but not as good as most good hotels. The hot buffet was unimaginative and no chef is available if you want something prepared. The scramble eggs were akin to slop and the coffee was awful. My colleague decided he only wanted an espresso and some bread but we were still hit for 90 Euro ($130). This was also supposed to be a leisurely breakfast but at 11.00 it was very apparent that the head waiter wanted us out of there.. Not good enough.. Reception and cleaning staff were friendly but the general mood amongst staff was as tired as the outdated surroundings. The Lounge Bar: Everybody expects high prices in the bar of a five star so I won't object ; but for that we expected good service. The bar has no atmosphere and is just too old in a bad way; I love antiquities and history and The Majestic in Rome has this in perfect balance;The Principe Savoia is more a tired seventies icon rather than a sophisticated old lady... If you are planning to return to recapture some nostalgia don't upset your memories.... This hotel is an arthritic old dog that needs to be taken out of it's misery with a complete refurbishment and personality injection ... Never never again.. and I don't know why but it's left me so angry... Finally they even got the bill wrong and overcharged.. There is nothing worse than a hotel gripping on to its passed reputation for excellence... Next time in Milan I will not even visit... I complained to a receptionist when I left.. who immediately turned to ice.. PS: Also expensive internet @ $37 per day or 50 cents (US$) per minute in the business centre.. Ciao :-)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank CMC777
PRoffice, The Management at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, April 23, 2009
Dear Mr. Charles Mc,

We truly apologize for the lack in service and comfort which we can personally reassure you is something very unusual for us since we pride ourselves in making each stay unforgettable for our Guests.

We completely understand the inconvenience the refurbishment works have caused you but as you kindly stressed, they are nevertheless necessary to make the Hotel Principe di Savoia, today as in the past, the perfect place to stay in Milan, where tradition and design meet in excellence.

Since we realize that the during the refurbishments unfortunately their will always be some inconvenience caused to our Guests the cost of your room was lowered 70% and our reception offered you a complimentary upgrade from a Classic to a Deluxe Room in order to pamper and take care of your comfort.

For what may concern the breakfast charge, please consider that 45.00 € is the actual cost of our Buffet Breakfast, cost which does not depend on how much our Guests take advantage of the buffet itself: nevertheless, we know that even if, as you affirmed, you were joined by a friend, only one breakfast was charged on your room bill.

Since we would be delighted for you to experience the hotel in all its grandeur we would be honoured to have you come back to the Principe after the refurbishments have been completed to erase from your memory the negative image you have of the Hotel and to see firsthand the truly exceptional service and product the hotel has to offer.

Yours sincerely,

The Management of the Hotel Principe di Savoia
Indonesia
Reviewed March 23, 2009

The hotel is truly a luxury hotel. There are not much to do and see in Milan, so we usually spend most of our time inside it. Choosing Milan as our last stop in our honeymoon, we wanted it to be the 'low pace, recharging time' after exploring versailles, louvre, las ramblas and gran via before coming home. And we chose the perfect hotel for that.
I still can't figure out how they knew it was my honeymoon, but they did, and they gave us freebies.. lots of them!
Chocolates, more chocolates, fruits and.. more chocolates.
We are not old money, I did not wear my fur coat and forgot to use my walking cane that day, but we were treated with the uttermost hospitality from elise/elisa at check in. She walked us to our rooms, and it was quite a long walk! We stayed in the principe tower.
The room was big, it was a junior suite, but the decor is too old for me. I know I should have stayed in the renovated tower, but I felt it was too expensive.
They have those old electrical lamps that gives out a sort of a 'yellow' ambiance and combined with the decorations, it can get pretty gloomy.
The room service is excellent! I could not get enough of the pasta, and while a little bit expensive (30-35 euros) it was enough for two. Service is excellent. They were all very polite, very sincere, attentive and got the job done. The housekeeping lady always re-arranged our messy stuff on the washbasin, and folded every clothes that was lying on the floor. The complimentary limousine is a very very good idea. Saved us about 100-150 euro on taxis during our stay there (5 nights). Of course it did not ALWAYS follow the schedule, it was often late 10-20 minutes but they WOULD come eventually, and we liked that. The concierge got us a table for two at a nearby italian restaurant, la repubblica, and we LOVED it.
We have no complaints for this hotel, it was perfect (not to mention breakfast-YUMM!)
The ONLY thing that bugged me a little was the gloomy old room, and the fact I got a little electrical bit almost every time I pushed the elevator button.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cendut
Almaty
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I still remember my stay in Principe di Savoia a few years ago when I had a jumper stolen from my shopping bag by the service personnel. The bag was in the room, and the jumper was not there when I was back. It took a day to talk to the manager who did not even offer a proper investigation, let alone and upgrade or a free meal. He unwillingly said they will look into the issue and send a cheque but this never happened. His attitude was extremely arrogant as if I am making things up.
My worst stay in Milan. Now I go to Four Seasons and am quite happy.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Sunpleaseplz
Italy
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Judging by the last reviews it seems to me that the hotel must have rooms that have been renovated and rooms that haven't. We had a lovely large room overlooking the piazza with a little balcony. The marble bathroom was beautiful with fluffy towels and bathrobes. The bar is expensive; 15 Euros for a cocktail but it's to be expected in a 5* hotel, it's the same everywhere.
A previous review complained about the lack of parking other than the hotel garage but there's an underground garage around the corner about a 2 minute walk which costs 25 Euros for 24 hours.
There are no good restaurants around the hotel, in fact I would avoid them at all cost but if you walk about 10 minutes you'll fid the excellant Cavallini in Via Mauro Macchi or Torriani 25 in Via Napo Torriani.

• Liked — The lovely room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Chrella
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Quite simply a stunning hotel. Yes it is not cheap but for the service one gets it is excellent value. The welcome at reception was highly professsional and a simple enquiry about visiting and viewing the `Last Supper` was immediately sorted by the Concierge for the next morning. We were shown to our room and this had a superb level of comfort with so many thoughtful touches and extras provided.

We ventured down to the cocktail bar and it was truly stunning in terms of the atmosphere, the service and the quality of cocktails produced. I am told they are renovating it for next year and I only hope for our next visit in May that it hasn't changed too much as we found its art deco ambience to be truly wonderful and the Manager of the bar to be highly professional and a joy to talk with. The same has to be said for the restaurant and the service was just right... highly professional but not at all subserviant and the maitre d' combined a fantastic sense of humour whilsyt keeping a very watchful eye on proceeedings.

The free limousine service provided for all guests at the hotel was a bonus and was very useful although the location of the hotel was convenient for both the station and the city centre.
Without doubt one of the best hotels I have had the pleasure to stay in and I will definitely be back for more when I visit Milan again.

• Liked — Everything !!
  • Disliked — Nothing !!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank StAlbansWilbo
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed October 23, 2008

This was my second time at the Principe and it is always a pleasure.
The reception staff was vey helpful and friendly, and the concierge very professional and effective.
One added benefit is that you don't have to worry about all the extras you buy in Milano. When in the shops, just ask for your bags to be sent to your room directly. When leaving the hotel, just let the concierge know that you have left some bags in your room, fill in a form and the bags will be handled by the hotel, carefully packaged and sent to your home via DHL.
The location is also perfect. Just by the center. There is a very frequent limousine service (sometimes overcrowded) to via Montenapoleone and the Scala, and the taxi is 5-10mins away. There is also a metro station in front of the hotel.
The pool is nice, however not large and not deep. There is also a spa and hamam room, but not large.
The staff throughout the hotel is quite professional and polite.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The sometimes overcrowded complimentary limousine service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ppap