“Elegant, great service, wonderful location”

Hotel Principe Di Savoia
Ranked #4 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Very large room and exceptionally plush. Well located. Excellent service and concierge very patient and helpful to tourists.
Limo service is a big plus. And our price (breakfast comped because roof pool was closed for repair) was a good value.
Polizia all over the entrance. We asked why and were told because King of Togo (really?) was staying there. I did learn that Togo King is UVA grad.
Beware of prices in lounge. A kid's lemonade and Martini in lounge was €27. Yikes!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael D
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear Michael D,
Thank you for dedicating your time to write a review on the Hotel Principe di Savoia. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room and our services. I will be sure to share your kind words also with our Concierge team. They work extremely hard and these recognitions really make it all worthwhile.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon and I wish you a wonderful summer.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed here for one night with my girlfriend on July 24th, and it was supposed to be a nice relaxing end to a ten day vacation (our flight was leaving the next day).

Be aware that the level of snootieness by the employees here reaches epic proportions.

My terrible experience with this hotel began as soon as I entered the lobby. An employee looked up, took one look at us, decided we weren't worth the effort, and went back to playing with his phone. This was after I had acknowledged him with a smile and a hand wave, you know, like a human being.

The check-in process wasn't much better. The guy that processed us (emphasis on processed) was very mechanical. We had to ask for a map, and some places to see. Every other place we stayed at in Italy, the receptionists were friendly, greeted us with smiles, and gave us the maps/places/things we'd need right up front.

So at this point we're in the room. Now I don't want to come off as snooty myself, and maybe it's because I was thoroughly unimpressed with the people here, but the room was nothing special. The TV remote kept freaking out (changing the volume wouldn't work at times, and pressing it multiple times would change the channel). The bathroom was fine, except for the drain in the shower which must have been slightly clogged because the water would build up in the shower (I hate having my feet soaked in shower water).

So at this point, we're pretty peeved, but we had planned on getting a couples massage as a treat to ourselves. So we call down, and order up the book of available services. Lo and behold this 5-Star, who wouldn't spit in the direction of a prole such as myself, doesn't offer said service.

So we decide to just go out and have a look around the city. We head down, and go over to the concierge desk. We ask for a map which he basically just throws at us (we're not decked out in Chanel after all). We leave the hotel, and of course the myriad of employees we pass along the way can't be bothered to crack a smile, or acknowledge our existence.

The next morning, we get a knock on our door @ 9 AM. We weren't planning on checking out until noon (which was the stated check-out time). I wake up in a daze, and answer the door to see a maid. She apologizes for waking me up, and goes about her day. Now maybe I'm to blame since I didn't hang the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door, but seriously, 9 AM!?

So we pack up our poor people bags (I know we're terrible people because we don't have Louis Vuitton luggage), and head to the checkout. We wait online for a good 15 minutes. Funny enough, there is a lady at the reception desk completely decked out in Chanel (down to the slippers), and the lady asks her if everything was to her liking, etc. I make note of that. When our turn comes up, no such luck on being asked about our stay.

So we leave and head to the train station (omg, I was so embarrassed, only poors take the trains, my Ferrari was in the shop guys, I swear!!).

Bottom line, don't stay here if you believe that you should be treated the same as everyone else because you paid for your room just like they did. I don't stay at a hotel just for the amenities. The people are such an important factor. A smile, an acknowledgement, all these little things make a difference.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Dion A

Dear Dion A,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am extremely sorry to hear that your experience at our Hotel was terrible. Please note that we take great pride in offering the best service and attention to all of our Guests and do not make any distinctions. If you could please contact me personally I would like to discuss this further as your input is tremendously important to me.
Looking forward to hearing from you I wish you a lovely summer.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have been to tis hotel probably about five or six time. It is my place in Milan where I usually stay. I asked for an early checkin as I was coming from a red eye flight from JFK. I arrive and all is good. My meeting is not till 6pm and it is only 9:20am, enough time for a nice nab, maybe a swim in the pool and a round of sauna. First think during check in I am told the pool is closed for renovation and so is the sauna. Bad luck! I will mange it in different way and just get a really hot bath after a long run around the park. The room is facing the court yard and even though it is noon the light in the room is so that on can not really see what is in front of me. The reason for the darkness is large dark tarp hanging in front of my window. Not that the count yard would have been something I needed to see but the darkness in the middle of the day was unfortunate. While I poor the water in I hear a group of works screaming to each other before they finally begin their job, which is renovating parts of the hotel, probably the sauna and the pool...I took two sleeping pills and cover my head with four large pillows. Falling in and out of sleep for the next four hours. After all the mostly exceptional visits to tis place now this. What to do? Shall I never go back or give it another try and insist to have room with park few as far away from the noise and construction?

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FileasFoog
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear FileasFoo,
Thank you so much for your review. I have duly noted all your comments and I am extremely sorry that we did not meet your expectations. If you would like to contact me personally I will be happy to discuss further and guarantee you that your next stay will be impeccable as we are not undergoing any refurbishments but just needed to fix an urgent problem with our pool and sauna area.
Looking forward to welcoming you back I wish you a lovely summer.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is a real old-world European Hotel. My room has a fresco above the bed, French doors that actually open! (onto a flowered mini-balcony), brocades and hand-painted walls. The room is decorated in lovely colors of cream, caramel and cobalt blue. The bathroom is all marble; roomy and with plenty of space for cosmetics. The Aqua di Parma toiletries are wonderful. There are really good full length mirrors so you can look your best because this is Milan where everybody looks like a movie star. Today, there was a fashion shoot in front of the Duomo, and the glamorous fashion model looked just like the girl at the reception desk here at the Principe Di Savoia ! The room service is lovely...even your Continental Breakfast is wheeled in with fine linens and heavy silver. I've stayed at old-school hotels like this one before (The Danieli in Venice and The Raphael in Paris) and I like them. I've noticed however (from TripAdvisor reviews) that a lot of other Americans don't. I read somewhere that the French are all about details and superb service while Americans are a self- service, independent lot. I think we feel slightly odd being pampered...Anyway, the lobby is elegant and filled with Italians, there's a bar and restaurant and a spa. I didn't go to the bar or restaurant as I'm traveling alone but the room service is really good and I've been treated very nicely here. Overall: if you're looking for an elegant, upscale experience Italian-style, then this is the hotel for you. One added note: this hotel is a 24 minute walk from the Duomo but once you're in the historic center everything is within walking distance. Milan is a fabulous city with astonishing upscale shopping, fine restaurants, and the most stunning and well-dressed people you'll ever see in this lifetime.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank viacarrozza
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear viacarroz,
Thank you so much for your amazing review. I am ecstatic to hear that your stay was perfect. I am also happy that you truly felt our Italian hospitality and enjoyed all the warmth and style that is placed in the décor of our rooms. I completely agree with you: Milan is a fabulous city and breathes fashion, design and culture.
I hope to welcome you back very soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with friendly staff. Visited with two teenage children and made to feel very welcome. Lovely bar with fabulous cocktails - the passion fruit with chilli gets my vote!
This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel and would recommend it but not so keen on Milan as a city.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Tripadvisor Member,
I am pleased to hear that you and your two teenage children felt welcomed at the Hotel Principe di Savoia. I will be sure to tell our lovely bar manager that you were particularly fond of the chili and passion fruit cocktail. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back soon and hopefully show you Milan in a new light.

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in October 2012 and absolutely enjoyed every minute. Not only are the rooms beautifully decorated and bathroom very large, but the service is top rate. The concierge secured very well seated tickets to La Scala to see Anna Netrebko sing in La Boheme, a once in a lifetime experience. The pool is a wonderful oasis after a long day sightseeing and the breakfast brunch is superb. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Gail S,
Thank you for your lovely review on the Hotel Principe di Savoia. It is with great pleasure that I read your words and I am happy that you managed to take advantage of the various services that we offer: from our wonderful concierge to our Club 10.
I sincerely hope to have you again soon as our Guest and I wish you a wonderful summer.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I'm a fan of the Dorchester Collection and the Principe met all expectations. The room was spacious and elegant, with the added bonus of a small balcony. The bathroom (Room 425) was very large, modern, with a great walk-in shower. The food - and wait service - were exceptional. Housekeeping was prompt, discreet, and provided everything that was necessary.

But as with all DC properties, the staff were the standouts. Whether front desk, bar, or dining they were professional but friendly, with excellent suggestions. Nothing better than intuitive service. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear phildiver,
Thank you so much for your lovely words that I will share with all the wonderful staff of the Hotel Principe di Savoia. I completely agree with you what really distinguishes Dorchester Collection is the amazing people that work in all of the properties. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the room and our food.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.