“You get what you pay for...”

Hotel Principe Di Savoia
Ranked #9 of 428 Hotels in Milan
New York
“You get what you pay for...”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Have been a middling to enthusiastic fan of the Principe for years. It's got a lot of great pluses and is getting better and better with the Dorchester Collection:
1. Fantastic gym - by Italian standards (note: do not plan on laps in the pool).
2. Stylish bar - interesting crowd and a charming staff.
3. Beautiful restaurant - Alcanto is aging well, it's a deluxe interior, the food's superb and the team very solicitous.
4. Terrific concierge staff - especially Gerard. Tip them well, they're worth it.
Just remember, it's an expensive and older property, so in terms of rooms: you get what you pay for. The recently upgraded deluxe rooms and the 2006 or so deluxe mosaic rooms are superb: great furnishings, killer baths (note: the showers drain slowly) and a good size facing the city or Piazza. The other rooms, well...soft goods updated, but the baths were last updated during the CIGA years (late 80's or early 90's) and it shows. And there are still smoking rooms - which can be very aromatic.
All in all, generally the best value for a 5 star hotel in Milan.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ez2plsNYC
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear ez2plsNYC,
Thank you so much for your lovely and thorough review. I am delighted that during your stay you managed to enjoy our gym, bar and restaurant and I will be sure to share your kind words with our concierge staff.
Please do let me know next time you return as also our Classic Rooms, Premium Rooms and all our Suites have just recently been refurbished.

Looking forward to welcoming you personally back to the Hotel Principe di Savoia I send my warmest regards,
Ezio Indiani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wonderful city for a weekend-trip. central laage, nice staff, clean, spacious and quiet room. staff is very friendly. great breakfast buffet. price-performance true. each time would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonh M
Dear John M,
Thank you for your kind review. It is with pleasure that I hear you enjoyed both Milan and the Hotel Principe di Savoia. In two lines you summarized so graciously so many different aspects of the Hotel. We do sincerely hope you consider this your home in Milan.

I look forward to welcoming you back.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was the last stop along my four country journey and I couldn't have been more pleased. The rooms are spacious and quiet, the service is attentive, the spa is excellent and the food is outstanding! Did I miss anything? Yes, I missed all the details from the inlaid wood throughout the guest rooms, to the pivoting heated towel racks, to room service that is prompt and perfect, to an excellent concierge staff and to a masseuse that provided the best massage I have ever had. Another bonus is the hotel car that transports guest every 15 minutes into the center of town and back again. What treasures and treats! I will return...perhaps after the Design Shows in 2015. The hotel will be swamped during that time and although they will do an excellent job, I'm selfish enough to want a bit more of the hotel all to myself. Thank you all!

Room Tip: Look at your room first and if you are not satisfied, the hotel will try and accommodate you. Excell...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LeahPhiladelphia_PA
Dear LeahPhiladelphia_PA,
your review is so flattering I really don't know where to start from to say Thank You!
We shall be proud if you decide to consider Principe di Savoia your home in Italy now. If you decide to visit us again, please let me know in advance and we shall be glad to give you a proper welcome back.

Warm Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Great location, good facilities, pretty much as good as it gets, but expensive, hotel restaurant is also excellent, and there is a nice outdoor courtyard for lunchtime drinks etc, that is quiet and pleasant to sit in.Breakfast was also great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Eass,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Principe di Savoia. It is with pleasure that I read that everything was great and that you were able to enjoy our restaurant during your stay last year. I sincerely hope that you will come back to Milan soon, and to personally welcome you.

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night at the hotel before flying home from Malpensa. We were greeted warmly and shown to a very nice room. That evening we had a very enjoyable meal in the hotel restaurant. The hotel was very comfortable, restful and quiet, with attentive staff. Although not in the centre they have an excellent, free, limo service to central Milan, only 10 minutes away.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RVMSydney,
I am happy that you left the hotel Principe di Savoia with a favourable impression even though you only spent one day here with us. We all strive to offer our guest a memorable experience and I truly hope to welcome you back again in Milan in the future to enjoy our other services such as the spa with swimming pool, aperitifs at the bar and room service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back personally I send you my warmest regards,
Warmest regards,
Florence, Italy
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We recently spent a few days at the Principe Di Savoia in Milan and enjoyed every minute. Or friends were in one of the more contemporary hotels that felt antiseptic in comparison. The service at the PDS was seamless from beginning to end. As we paid with Amex Platinum, the hotel graciously upgraded us. The room was spacious, especially for a European hotel. The bathroom also was a very good size with two sinks and a separate bath and shower. The room was very quiet, and the linens and bathroom amenities lovely. The spa staff was welcoming and professional. This was especially apparent when, due to the time zone change from the US to Europe, I booked a spa treatment for the wrong day. The hotel removed the charge from my bill with a smile. In addition, as I had mentioned when making my reservation,that my husband and I were celebrating an anniversary, the hotel surprised us with a bottle of champagne and sweet strawberries. Room service was timely and very good. The breakfast was delicious and varied. We will return. Internet was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room and for a duvet to be put on the bed to make the mattress softer
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Houstontravel2013,
Thank you so much for your lovely review, which truly makes all the hard work and dedication that all our staff goes through worthwhile.
While I am delighted that you enjoyed the special attentions we bestow on our American Express clients, I am glad that you also loved the room and the small tokens of attention that we reserve all our Guests.

I sincerely hope that you will celebrate also your next anniversary with us.
Warm Regards,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Room was very spacious and well decorated! Service was great and the little message you get on the tv was a nice touch. The view from the balcony was great too, looking over the city! Overall great and pleasant experience !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TommysNorfolk
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear TommysNorfolk,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that overall you had a pleasant experience at the Hotel Principe di Savoia. The view on Milan is really changing and I am glad that you had the chance to appreciate the city's new profile from your room.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Milan.