“Hotel is perfect / Beware of street noise coming into the room”

Antica Locanda Solferino
Ranked #216 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel fulfills all wishes you might have for a pleasant stay.
Nothing more to add.
Beware of the street noise. Keep earplugs with you or take the ones provided by the hotel.
Street cleaning trucks 1am.
Garbage collection 2am.
Empty bottle collection 3am.
Crazy Italians !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Stefan B

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I am writing this review in response to dpatters "nice but not quite up to expectations". OK he's a senior contributor and stays in a lot of places, so have I but I don't often review them. I want to comment on ALS. It is reminiscent of a time gone bye, another era, another world. My husband and I stayed here and we absolutely LOVED it. My husband doesn't necessarily like antiques, old places, lack of modern facilities but he actually loved this place and the Brera area and Milan. For me it was like staying in a true Pensione, something out of "A Room with a View". The breakfast was served in the room but it was excellent. The bathroom was fantastic (clean, decent size, great shower, etc etc.) and the room we stayed in overlooked the front street and had a balcony.....it was delightful. Stefan was the guy on the counter and could not have been more helpful.
I couldn't disagree more with the previous commentator, it lived up to my expectations, I was thrilled to stay here, I loved the atmosphere and ambience of this place, the surrounding area and Milan. I have travelled all over the world, stayed in some of the best hotels (I was Groups and Tours Co-ordinator for a chain of International hotels) but for me this was a real Italian experience and would love to return again. I am just so pleased that these sort of places still exist and that we all have a choice where we can stay. Thank you Antica Locanda Solferino.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LouiseN_10
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have tried for years to get into this hotel. I finally succeeded with a last minute offer. The hotel is located about 12 minutes walk from La Scala, so the location cannot be bettered. I reserved a double room for single use at a price of 150 euros (got the price on the internet. Better than the posted rate). This is not inexpensive. Doubles at larger, more modern hotels are often available for 175 euros. I mention this because while the ALS is charming in its way, its not exactly great value. As mentioned, the location is good but what else? The staff, to the extent there is one, is attentive. I arrived mid-afternoon at the hotel and hit the buzzer. A voice welcomed me and opened the door. A nice man who was clearly not the owner appeared and checked me in. He was efficient and friendly. Then he disappeared. The desk in the "lobby" (more on that in a moment) is not manned. You have to call (a number is provided) or buzz for someone. The "lobby" is just a counter and a few chairs. 4 people with luggage would fill the entire space. The rooms are up a narrow set of stairs. I saw one other room (on the front) and it was very sunlit and inviting. My room was on the interior side of the building and it was quiet. The furnishings (apart from the flat screen TV) were vintage and decaying nicely. There are too few outlets on the walls (I had trouble finding a place to plug in my computer). Bathroom amenities were minimal and the shower was of university dormitory quality. The water pressure was great and there was plenty of hot water. Breakfast was served in the room because there is no breakfast room. This is annoying because I always like a second cappuccino and I had to ask for it. Breakfast was a brioche, freshly-suqeezed orange juice, and coffee. No fruit was offered. I needed a taxi early and one was ordered for me by the young lady who are my breakfast. The neighborhood around the hotel is the Brera and it's wonderful. I lost my way home and asked a group of gentlemen standing outside a posh restaurant for help. They were very kind, pulling out their Samsung Galaxy smartphones and mapping my way. I wondered who they were guarding but I did not have long to wait to find out. As I turned to go in the direction of my hotel, I saw the profile of Silvio Berlusconi in conversation at a small table just inside the restaurant. So, all in all, the ALS was nice, interesting, but a bit expensive. Would I go back again? Maybe. But only if Berlusconi eats somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the street
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dpatters
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This hotel is a former palace with lovely rooms, some with terraces. The staff was friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Stephanie B
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I arrived in this small hotel at the suggestion of a friend who had warned me of the special features. Fantastic, I could not expect better. The reception is not full time but are so kind and thoughtful of you to feel at ease at any time. simply call the number of hotels for any kind of service. breakfast served in your room until 11 is excellent, freshly squeezed orange juice and newspaper, mineral water and coffee, including all wonder

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank sosuite
Reviewed April 12, 2010

After flying for 12 hours, we unintentionally took the express train from Rome and unexpectedly ended up in Milan. We found this hotel in Frommers. When we arrived by taxi we had to wait for the manager (Stephano) to drive to the hotel and let us in. Stephano could not have been more helpful to two weary travellers. He brought our luggage up via the outside elevators, phoned a couple of restaurants to make us reservations and actually walked us to the restaurant to help us find our way. The breakfast they serve you in your room is wonderful - home baked croissants, freshly squeezed orange juice, delicious coffee and chocolate. Although this is a quaint, 130 year old hotel, the room had all the modern amenities including satellite t.v. where you could changed the dubbed shows to original language (English). Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vettyblue
Reviewed March 3, 2009

this small hotel is situated in one the most beautiful area of milano.
a deprived central zone of wealth and luxury but flood of the charm of other times.
Here you can discover some small secrets of a authentic charme of true hospitality and felt. The rates are not always the same and some time are very high but they appear as something symbolic to preserve this place from insensitive people to this oneness

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business