“an absolutely wonderful place”

Grand Hotel et de Milan
Ranked #11 of 428 Hotels in Milan
london
“an absolutely wonderful place”
Reviewed December 12, 2008

What a wonderful, wonderful experience, I will most definately be using this as my home away from home. A very big thankyou to all the staff for their professionalism and hospitality in reception, concierge and in the bar, I especially extend this to the front office manager who gave me a lovely airy room with ample space, but that said I did think this room could have a slight refreshment. and the standard of cleanliness in general could be higher. overall this is a hotel I would highly reccomend.

• Liked — service and location
  • Disliked — cleanilness of bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank sarahtomjanan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I have stayed there few times during last years but will not stay again before they remodel the rooms.
The hotel lobby and service are luxurious but not the rooms. The rooms have unxepectedly simple furniture and those are even little dated.

• Liked — lobby, location
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
mpage, Moreno Pagetto, Executive Assistant Manager at Grand Hotel et de Milan, responded to this review, January 18, 2009
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us; We would like to express our most sincerest apologies for the poor impression and inform you that we have recently started a total restyling of the hotel rooms.

With the hope that you will not hold this past experience against us may we ask you to let us know when you will be next staying with us so that we make sure that a newly redecorated room is allocated for your stay.

I hope that despite this past experience we will have the pleasure of your return visit where I will personally make sure that you have a most pleasant stay.
Berkshire
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We enjoyed the room and the Hotel a quiet oasis in a hot and bustling city. The quality of the hotel and its furnishings is high and the food good although breakfast here is more limited than at some hotels essentially cold continental. The area around has few charms but you are only 10 minutes to the Duomo and also the Gallerie Victor Emmanuelle, a good restaurant near here is Papa Fransesco's, excellent Osso Bucco a Milanese speciality.
We would use again if wanting a Milan city centre hotel.

• Liked — Quality Decor
  • Disliked — Area of the City
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Grj
UK
Reviewed June 20, 2008

1. It's a fabulous hotel set in the heart of the city.
2. Paying €12 for a cup of tea sours the experience.
3. On balance I wouldn't go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Surrey, UK
Reviewed January 20, 2008

I have stayed here a number of times in recent years.
Key is the location - cannot be improved (although it can be noisy as reported by some). The key to this place is that it is THE grand old hotel of Milan and is of considerable importance in the history of the city (Verdi, Callas et al - the connection to La Scala is very strong) but it is not a 5* establishment.
The rooms vary and come in different shapes and sizes and some are much better than others. I personally find most of them perfectly adequate (4* standard) and enjoy the atmosphere (compared to the Park hyatt for example) but I can see some may be put off if they come with very high expectations. That said, it is usually quite a bit cheaper than 4Seasons, Bulgari or Park Hyatt.
On the issue of breakfast: don't waste your money (this is true for any hotel in Milan). Walk 50 yards into a bar and you will get much better for half the price.
I find this a good choice but know it's not a deluxe hotel - rather a first-class piece of history. Probably not suited for most American travellers who look for modcons rather than atmosphere.

• Liked — place in history
  • Disliked — can be noisy
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Gastronauta
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 9, 2007

Dont usually stay in Milan overnight, usually an in and out job in the day - always on business, wouldnt come as a Tourist

My company stays here a lot on Business, it is one of the better Milan hotels at an ok sort of price

Milan is very, very expensive for reasonable hotels. This one cost 290 Euro's (Breakfast 30 Euro's on top) for a loft style room (with balcony - that you can just about see out of).

The reception were fine - very professional
Lifts small but ok
The Hotel has a feel of ancient opulence, you get a warm feeling in the bar area - I liked the place but did find it a little 'stuffy'

Room was small but adequate - bed comfortable

Bathroom of a high standard

Overall room was good, nothing special though

For the price of 290 Euro's if it was my money I'd expect a lot more - certainly a room much bigger that you had a bit more space

I ordered room service Breakfast - this was a bit of let-down as the quality wasnt really there and as such I didnt eat anything - i would have given it a 4 rating had it not been for a poor breakfast

The hotel is centrally located in Milan - fairly easy to find a decent restaurant if your walking

I'd stay here again if it was on business, as there are far worse hotels in Milan but would never stay on Tourist money. Hotel is maybe about 50% overpriced

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank sti5brigade
california
Reviewed December 7, 2007

We stayed one night which was the last night of our stay in Italy Given the history of the hotel and that it has the honors of being distiguished as one of the Leading Hotels of the World, I was a bit disappointed from the moment I walked in the door. The service was poor. We arrived a bit early so our room was not ready yet - which was fine with us given that we had not informed the hotel of our unexpected early arrival. We didn't expect or demand a room. However, check in was poor and when asked if we could check in our bags until the room was ready we were told to just leave the bags in the lobby. We did not want to leave our bags unattended in the middle of the lobby and after waiting I reminded someone to attend to the bags. I was assured that our bags would be in my room upon my return and they were not. However, when I did call to the front desk and remind them that the bags were supposed to be brough up they were indeed brought up very quickly. I am not a demanding traveler but the service is not quite what you would expect from a hotel in this category. And especially what we paid for it (Approx. $500 U.S.) We never even opened the mini bar but upon check out there were 6 or 7 items on the bill. When I pointed out the charges and informed the woman that we didn't take anything from the mini bar, she revised the invoice without saying a word let alone an apology.

The lobby is stunning so I was expecting the guest rooms to match. The room was small with wonderful high ceilings and beautiful wood floor and spacious marble bath. We had two wonderful balconies accessible from the bedroom and bathroom. The room decor was very simple in nature, lovely, but tired looking. The rooms could be so splendid with an upgrade. the bed was comfortable.

The location can't be beat. It's in close proximity to exclusive shopping, the Duomo, and La Scala.

Would we stay here again? No. I did enjoy my one night (heck, I am in Milan!) but the service was unacceptable. Given that there are plenty of other options in this price category go somewhere else!

• Liked — Great bathroom, lovely balcony, stunning lobby
  • Disliked — Terrible service
  • Stayed October 2007
3 Thank CAJetSetter
mpage, Antonio Cailotto, General Manager at Grand Hotel et de Milan, responded to this review, January 28, 2008
First of all please accept our sincerest apologies. Your comments have received all our attention and the necessary measures have been taken so that such accidents may not be allowed to happen again. We would like to assure you also that the poor service you have received does not reflect our usual standards of service and we would like to believe, considering many positive comments that we regularly receive, that it was a series of very unfortunate circumstances. Our goal will be to improve our standards and, reiteratine our apologies, thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of your experience. We do hope that you will not hold this past experience against us and that we will have soon again the pleasure of your return visit.