Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
An architectural gem

Reviewed yesterday
Grammycoco
New York City, New York
Very interesting and lovely gardens, cafe and shop

Jennifer L
Sydney, Australia

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Milan
from $18.90
More Info
from $18.34
More Info
All reviews guided tour sewing machine original furniture family history amazing villa extraordinary art italian speaking interesting visit house museum decorative arts an english speaking tour downtown milan works of art book in advance architect film fai
Reviewed yesterday

If you enjoy visiting house museums this is a total treat. Nestled in a chic residential neighborhood, a manageable walk to the shopping district, the villa Necchi is a 1930's house designed for comfort and elegance. The residents once upon a time were the "it couple " of Milan and entertained lavishly. The furnishings are all there, and the art , some original to the house, some of it donated by generous patrons, is a wonderful addition to the decor and craftsmanship of the interior. There are guided tours, which you can buy online or at the door. It was the setting for the film "I am Love" with Tilda Swinton
which I am now so eager to see.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A friend had mentioned this as a hidden gem in Milan and I wanted to visit as my mother had a Necchi sewing machine. English speaking guide gave lots of information including on individual artworks. Would definitely recommmend this but you’ll need to find out when the next guided tour starts as they don’t seem to encourage people to just wander around the gardens.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am SOOOO happy I finally managed to make it here. Years after seeing "I Am Love" I wasn't able to come by in previous trips to Milan, but this time I went out of my way. It was a bit confusing trying to arrange tickets but it was absolutely worth every penny.

The architecture, history, and beauty of the place cannot be understated, but probably not something that appeals to everyone.

Be sure to take the guided tour (you cannot walk about freely) and try to get there early. The gardens are also tranquil and unique--especially considering their location in the heart of Milan.

The volunteer tour guide was incredible. Worth every penny.

1  Thank NottyJ
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

Our tour guide Elizabeth was really easy to follow. She was very knowledgeable and friendly. No attitude. She was willing to answer any questions. She brought all to life.
The story is very interesting.
I highly recommend the tour in English or Italian.

Reviewed August 19, 2018

My partner and I really enjoyed our tour around this stunning building. Due to her and me being impatient we opted for the Italian tour (even though we speak no words of Italian), even though we were advised to wait and hour for the English one. We arrived and were the only two people at the time, the staff being incredibly accommodating, found us an English translator, a lovely Cambridge University student who was spending a year in Italy on a placement. The in-depth information given whilst walking around the house was so interesting, learning about the family who lived there, what they did. They not only show off the furniture which was originally there, but the owner's hat collection, scarf collection, even the head servants room and dress. Genuinely such an interesting experience, there's even beautiful paintings dotted around, even a room temperature controlled to protect works from Picasso!
One of our favourite experiences in Milan, and for such a good price too!
My partner and I only paid five euro each, granted we're students, but still! For that price...you really can't say no.

3  Thank tan023
Reviewed August 17, 2018

I found this place of TripAdvisor looking for things to do in Milan and was overwhelmed at the gorgeous design aspects. Anyone interested in architecture and design should visit. Fabulous shop at the exit too. Fascinating history of the villa. I would visit again on my next trip to Milan

2  Thank snowflake29
Reviewed July 27, 2018

You might not be a guided tour sort of person. I am not but it was well worth trailing around with the tour guide here. We got an insight into the house and the family that we might not otherwise have had. Great building and interesting to hear about the history and how much they liked/did not like what their radical architect designed for them. Made me love my Necchi sewing machine just that little bit more!

1  Thank keke22
Reviewed July 18, 2018 via mobile

We were asking them for information on what the villa or the tour consisted of. They turned us away saying you have to book. No explanation about the ticket office or the contents. Absolutely appalling but the garden was special. We decided we didn’t want to contribute to their salaries. Idiots.

Reviewed July 5, 2018

A great example of timeless modernism, with an interesting family history. We were originally turned off by the fact that visits through the inside of the home require a one hour guided tour (included in ticket price); however, the tour was interesting, informative, and moved along quickly. The tour also highlighted history that we would never have known about otherwise, making the visit all the more special. Architects, interior designers and even those with a slight interest in design should enjoy. Note: most of the property is not air conditioned so it was a bit stuffy on a warm day but not unbearable.

3  Thank EvanSK85
Reviewed June 28, 2018

We joined the English speaking tour of the villa and it was very informative and enjoyable. It is a beautiful house and garden. Don't miss it if you love Art Deco. Also, have a walk around the neighbourhood. Other amazing buildings are nearby, especially in the Art Nouveau style.