“Terrible customer service and room”

Mercure Milano Solari
Ranked #126 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Terrible customer service and room”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I booked a room for a one night stay while attending meetings in Milan. Mercure was close to my meeting's location so it seemed adequate. Same as another reviewer on here, I go a room for limited mobility people, built to make people in wheelchairs have easy accessibility. The room's setup is therefore inaccessible in certain ways. There's a "seat" in the shower so it isn't possible to stand under the shower. The bathroom seat is almost inaccessible, the sink is at the level of my knees (pictures attached). I did not book this room as part of an offer or anything. I paid the full rate, a rate that would be enough to get me a double room elsewhere.

The hotel's excuse was that it was fully booked. The truth is that they overbooked it. I booked 2 days in advance and I saw on Booking that the last booking was 2 hours prior to me checking in that day. They must have given the same type of room to other people as well or I'm very unlucky. The fact remains that if you stay here there's a good chance you'll end up in a room for limited mobility people.

I brought the room's status to the attention of the receptionist who apologized. I have not yet found a market where apologies can be traded for comfort or exchanged for currency.

The receptionist offered me a drink to make up for the room. I refused, because I like to be bought a drink before I get bedded not after.

I imagine the hotel's PR will reply to this and make up an excuse for the room's status. I do not care for such excuses. My advise is do not book here if you value comfort. The hotel isn't cheap so they least it can do is provide adequate service for the money they're charging and they do not do that. Period. An apology for a premeditated decision to rip people off is useless.

I really really hope they do not come back and say "Come back and try us again". Fool me once, Mercure, fool me once.

Room Tip: If for some reason you have to stay here make sure you don't end up in a limited mobility room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank hhourani
AmelioAurora, Sales & Marketing Executive at Mercure Milano Solari, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Mr. Elhourani,

Thank you for taking the time for let us know your opinion about your stay here at Mercure Milano Solari.

I regret to learn that your experience at our Hotel didn’t meet your expectation but I want try to convince you that all the Staff is working hard to reach the quality and the standard habitual in all our Accorhotels worldwide.

Just as it’s reported also in our website, some of our rooms have a bathroom equipped for disabled Guests, as required by law. We understand perfectly that it may not be appreciated but, as you could see in the room description when you have made the reservation, the typology of room you have booked expects that some of these rooms are equipped for limited mobility Guests.

I deeply sorry, also, for the seeming fickleness the problem has been managed by the Front Office Agent. During your stay in our Hotel, we was really fully booked so we weren’t able to propose you another room: the only thing that our Front Office Agent could do was to provide something at the Bar on the ground floor, what she has actually done but I understand perfectly that wasn’t enough respect your poor impression about our Hotel.

Mr. Elhourani, we regret that your stay didn’t meet your expectations and that you have a such bad idea of us and of our Hotel: some of our best Guests are CEOs of some of the largest national and international companies and we are constantly engaged to meet the expectation of all our Guests, who decide to choose Accor hotels just for the quality of services offered.

Best regards,

Sales & Marketing Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel was located very close to the metro and a tram line, making it very convenient to access the main attractions in Milan. The rooms were small, but very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was especially nice and the shower very spacious. The breakfast was worthwhile, too. Hot and cold breakfast items were available and the food was very good. I thought the rate per night was very reasonable and the accommodations exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: There is an elevator, so it doesn't matter which floor you end up on.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
AmelioAurora, Sales & Marketing Executive at Mercure Milano Solari, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your beautiful review.

Your beautiful words make us proud and we are glad to know that everything was good and you appreciate us and our Hotel and this encourage us to keep up our efforts.

It will be a pleasure for us welcoming you again in our Hotel during your next stay in Milano.

A warm greeting from all the Mercure Milano Solari Hotel Staff.

Campinas, SP
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Well located near the underground and night life of navigli. Good value for money. The only negative was that the restaurant does not work at weekends evenings, but there are a couple of opcions couple steps away.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Katrin,

Thank you for taking time for let us know your opinion regarding your stay here at Mercure Milano Solari.

It’s always a pleasure for us know that our Guests are satisfied and we hope to welcoming you again during your next trip in Milano.

Kind regards,

London
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for just one night prior to our return home from a tour of Italy. From the start we were pleasantly surprised that we were actually given a room with a king sized bed (normally reception see two girls and assume there was a booking error and that we wanted twin beds), so full marks for that! The hotel is clean, bright and in good condition. The room was more luxurious than I was expecting for the £60 we paid for it, the bed very comfortable and the shower hot. Exactly what we needed for our brief stay! It's not massively central - it's about a half hour walk into the middle of the city - but as another reviewer has noted, the tram no14 departs from just outside and takes you to Duomo in 15mins so this isn't an issue at all. Very happy with our stay overall.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very nice review. We are glad to know that everything was good and you appreciate it. It’s very important for us to meet Guests expectations ensuring the quality of all the services you expect from a Mercure hotel.

Your beautiful words make us proud and we will be delighted to welcoming you again in our hotel during your next stay in Milano.

A warm greeting from all the Mercure Milano Solari Staff.

Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This hotel was booked for me for a week-long conference in Milan and I could not have asked for a better hotel. Front desk staff was always very helpful. It's located very close to the #14 tram stop that takes you right to the Duomo and a few blocks from the San Agostino metro stop on the green line that can get you anywhere else you need to go. Breakfast was very good and had a nice variety of things to choose from. I didn't notice any noise from outside at night, though sometimes you could hear someone in the hallway.

My room (one queen bed) was very clean and while not super spacious had plenty of room for my needs. A desk is included and a closet with hangers and drawers which was great.

For Americans, you might not realize you need to put your key card in the slot inside the room to "activate" it once you're inside so that the lights will work. Just make sure to take it out before you leave so you don't lock yourself out. I had some trouble getting my door open but that might just be me! The outlet in the bathroom looks like it switches from US voltage to European voltage but when I put it on the lower one I couldn't get my 120v hair straightener to turn on so unless you have a European one just leave that at home. The shower was very nice with wood plank floors, which I thought was great.

The air conditioner didn't really seem to work so be prepared for it to be a little stuffy at night. I visited in late April/early May and it was ok without it though I would have preferred it to be a bit cooler at night. I might be a bit worried if I was visiting in the summer though I believe it was programmed so it couldn't be used this early in the year.

Overall, great place to stay!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
AmelioAurora, Sales & Marketing Executive at Mercure Milano Solari, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Mrs. Chelsey,

Thank you very much for taking the time for let us know your opinion about us and our Hotel.

Your beautiful words make us proud and we are glad to know that everything was good and you appreciate it. It’s always a pleasure for us know that our Guests are satisfied and this encourage us to keep up our efforts, ensuring the service we provide always meets your expectation.

A warm greeting from all Mercure Milano Solari Hotel Staff.

Panama
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Very pleasant Hotel modern and clean. Staff very helpful. A short tram ride into Duomo ... Breakfast really nice. We took a taxi to the train station which was €20. There were banks and restaurants close and a supermarket if you needed. Free wifi

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan G
Dear Mrs. Susan,

Thank you for your nice review about us and our Hotel.

It’s always a pleasure for us meet the expectation of our Guests and we hope to welcoming you again.

A warm greeting from all the Mercure Milano Solari Hotel Staff.