“Watch out!”
Review of Aparthotel Navigli

Aparthotel Navigli
Ranked #31 of 288 Specialty Lodging in Milan
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I was very happy to book this place for the Grand Prix. I started to read more reviews after I have booked and realised some people had their reservation cancelled by the owner a few weeks before the grand prix. I got a bit scared and I went on hostelworld.com and realised I had no current reservation in my file! One month before the Grand Prix! Then the nightmare starts. I had to call in europe many times to figure the reservation was canceled by the ownwer, without me knowing! Took me a month, calls in europe, a million emails and a lot of persistance to finaly get my deposit back. And I had to find an other place and that was not easy. I wish I had never book this place, and I wish this guy goes out of business.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Beibis

Reviewed September 17, 2011

This apartment hotel through booking.com is a good option for staying in Milan. It is easily accessible by Metro, buses and trams. It is about a 8 stop - 10 min ride on tram 2 to the Duomo.
Marco was very efficient in responding to our booking enquiries. Although we were not asked to pay a security deposit, we noted the rules of the apartment - ie keep everything clean, particularly the fridge and hotplates or else there is a E25 charge. Fair enough. If you make a mess clean it up. The apartment is a bedsit type of arrangement with an alcove kitchen comprising 2 burner hotplate, sink, a small fridge and a microwave. What is missing here is a small frypan and egg turnover. There is crockery and cutlery for three and a bigletti, salad bowls, two pasta/rice cookers and a tiny saucepan. We were able to shop at the large supermarket near the Agostino metro (15 min walk) but nearby there was a good alimentari, gelateria and close to a numerous cafes and restaurants. A five minute walk to the navigli canal area opens up a whole lot more eating choices. There is a small Billa supermarket on Via Manzini two tram stops from the Duomo and further along, a Punto supermarket. There are no churches nearby so there are no bells but the Viale Gorizia is a busy road. Although the trams stop at around 1.00am the traffic does not. The area is safe and well lit. There are the occasional party rousers but nothing else. Families walk by at night with their children to buy gelati at 10pm!
The apartment has a very comfortable bed which can be lifted into a cupboard and then you have an upholstered seat, a bucket chair, small pedestal table and two chairs. There is a large walk in wardrobe/luggage storage near the front door and the clean and modern bathroom has a large basin with a plug that works and the water in sink and shower is hot. The cleaning service removes the trash once a day and towels are changed every two days. The windows are double glazed but can be opened which is a good thing as the air conditioning is not excellent. We did not have instructions on how to operate the air conditioning but I am sure that Marco could have assisted had we asked. There is a small hydronic heater in the bathroom. The downside is the poor lighting in the main room. The lights over the kitchen nook and in the bathroom are excellent. The overhead light and the bedside lamps can only be described as low candlepower. There is a flatscreen TV mounted on the wall.
The apartment is very safe and quiet (except for the ambient road noise). Perhaps if you kept the windows closed that would keep the noise out. There is a lot of ambient laneway lighting but it does not shine directly into the room. If one likes to sleep in complete darkness, then just pull the heavy drapes across. There is a tiny lift to get to the first floor. Would we stay here again - Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard rather than one of the streets for a quieter room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2011

The location is execellent next to Navigli area and Porta Genova station. The room is very clean.
What you have to be really careful about, though, are many little things you'll find out AFTER booking. There are fines basically for everything: separating rubbish, cleaning kitchenette, late check-in (which is in any case by appointment). All those things aren't written in the on-line contract (a part from the late arrival thing). For the separating rubbish for example, the owner asked me if i could do it "to help them" and didn't say anything about the fact that if I didn't I would have paid a fine (I didn't pay because I did it, but I have read about the fine on others reviews).
I paid the entire amount online with my bf's father's credit card and he wanted me to give him a photocopy with the credit card, my bf's father ID and an authorization of use. Something like that has never happened to me and it really wasnt any big deal, but then again, I would have preferred to know it before paying. Other thing I discovered after paying is that they want a cautional deposit of 200 euros.
In conclusion, even if I got annoyed by all those things, I have to say I hadn't any particular problem during my stay, so my only suggestion is to write clearly all those things in the online description of the Hotel, so people are aware of what they are paying for.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank rachi16
Reviewed November 16, 2010

The hotel is located in neighborhood with great public transportation and good neighborhood restaurants. There aren't many tourist sights nearby, which is one of the reasons I chose it, to get a local feel. The booking and check in were problem free and the room was very clean. A very large bathroom with a nice soaking tub, something very rare in Italy. Our room overlooked a quiet side street, so noise wasn't a problem. Marco offered to help us with train reservations for the other legs of our trip. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank kerib
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Well I am utterly disappointed with this hotel. I had a booking with a group of friends to watch the grand prix. We booked sometime in advance as we all now how difficult it is to get accommodation close to big events. It was also just in my price range too as I could not afford anything higher and my whole basis on going on this trip was only if I could keep the cost down. However this unscrupulous hotel owner decided to cancel our accommodation a few weeks before the grand prix and we were told to find alternative.

The hotel owner was very impolite to our group booker and provided an “I don’t care” attitude. We can only guess that he managed to charge a higher amount to other people by cancelling our booking. I ended up not going to the grand prix as the alternative accommodation which we spent a long time searching for was more expensive, so effectively this hotel owner ruined my holiday and I passed my ticket onto someone else.

Thanks for ruining my holiday.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank chocolate-eater666
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Booked this Aparthotel in November 2009 for 13 people so a mix of apartments due to stay September 2010 through booking.com (who talk the talk but don’t walk the walk) In July made contact with the owner to advise that we would be arriving at 14:00 and to check the make of the apartment of 5, got rude reply telling me that it wasn’t the Hilton (like I didn’t know that?) and that our 4 originally booked apartments had been altered? Why? No explanation given, got on to Booking.com (when round the block there never getting the same person twice) then got an email telling me our booking had been cancelled by Marco at Aparthotel Navigli. We think he sold our original apartments at a higher price as the Monza Grand Prix was on so he didn’t charge a higher. Booking.com dragged their heels sorting our this problem, so in the end 1 week before we are due to go I managed to get all 13 of us into another hotel and booked through hotel.com obviously forked out more money but at least Hotel AC Milano which looks fab and the contact we have had with them so far has been amazing. So I am happy that the buffoon Marco cancelled us it looks like he’s done us a favour after reading the other reviews I think he would have spoilt our break anyway. Avoid this Aparthotel Navigil and Booking.com if you don’t want to be stressed out and spoken to like they are doing you a favour.

• Stayed: September 2010
3  Thank Panna
Reviewed August 31, 2010

booked in January this year. enquired about a month before we were due to go, owner had cancelled our booking and not told us. very worring time for us as flights and tickets to Grand Prix were booked - BEWARNED

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends