“Cosy place to be”

Porta Garibaldi B&B
Ranked #20 of 284 Milan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place is really neat, it has all you need and is really close by to parking garage, metro, and nice places for dinner & drinks. Thanks for everything. Just really recommendable! Arrivederci e grazie!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at this lovely apartment during our 2 last nights of a four week stay in Italy. We truly enjoyed the place and found it very clean, modern and had everything one needs. Alessandra was very helpful and is doing an excellent job. She really understands the needs of a traveller. One tip: take care where to park your car because we had 2 fines totalling up to 160 euro... This was however our own fault and has nothing to do with the B&B.
Excellent stay and really recommendable !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stefaan V
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This was our second stay in Porta Garibaldi (2011 for 5 days) and we appreciated the apartment set up and location even more than our first visit. Knowing that we had a fully equipped self contained apartment we took full advantage of this by cooking all our own dinners this time round. We discovered after eating out for 5 weeks straight last year that you eventually do get tired of it and it is expense so we took full advantage of the cooking facilities in this apartment. By doing this I actually experienced a more ‘’Italian experience”. Why? Well I shopped where the locals shop, talked to the supermarket staff (or tried, at one shop I was teaching the words in English for rain – as it was pouring down, and the friendly cashier helped with my pronunciation of a few Italian words I was not quite nailing). We also saved heaps of money by eating in, which we used later on in some find French restaurants, and we also got to sample some good local produce. The Porta Garibaldi is located within easy walk of 3 supermarkets. One is just downstairs, very handy indeed, but 2 others are about a 10 min walk away in 2 different directions in quite diverse neighbourhoods. And all 3 have a good stock of wine to buy for very good prices.
But back to the B & B. Yes it is set within a normal residential neighbourhood and when on a Friday night Italy has a big soccer match on there is a bit of street noise, but to me that is why I am here – to see and hear how the Italians live. If I wanted to be completely sanitised I could just stay in a hotel. So just close the windows and the noise is muted. It certainly never bothered our quality of sleep.
We caught the train from Milan station to Cadorna station and then a taxi to the B & B. About 12 Euro, worth doing as for a first visit it can be a bit tricky to find the right door to buzz.
I walked around everywhere by myself from the B & B, into town, to the amazing Duomo, via some beautiful streets. I was never bothered or felt unsafe and in fact when I was a bit lost and trying to double check my bearings in a very non tourist area, a lovely old man whom was walking in the opposite direction stopped to help me out. We communicated with broken English and my basic Italian but he managed to tell me to be sure not to miss the Duomo which I was able to tell him was very beautiful in Italian.
Alessandra is a very perceptive host. As it was our second visit, she basically just left us to it. Her newest purchase of a map you could just scrunch up in your hand and was waterproof was a great asset (I got caught in a very heavy rain storm and needed that map to help me get home – a paper one would have been destroyed).
The bathroom in the apartment is huge compared to most European ones. Heaps of space to get all those wet clothes dry and loads of hanging space plus an added bonus of an iron. The Apartment is very snug too. I got back from my walk drenched and it was amazing how warm it was inside without any heating on. There is an air con for use if needed too.
Sadly we won’t be back to Milan next year but if I was I would look no further than the Porta Garibaldi to stay once again. And when we next return to Milan I will definitely be back again Alessandra!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suz003
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Stayed at the Porta Garibaldi Bed and Breakfast for 3 nights. Absolutely loved the place. Everything that you need has been very thoughtfully provided - specially everything you need for a sumptuous breakfast! You can not fault the location, walking distance from all the major sights and train/bus stops.

The best thing about the Porta Garibaldi is without doubt the hospitality and warmth of Alessandra, the owner. She a very cheerful and caring person, speaks excellent English and is there to guide and assist you with whatever you may need.

I would highly recommend the Porta Garibaldi!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rogercharlie
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Hotels in Milan (especially during trade fairs) raise their prices to the limit, a B&B is a very good option. Especially B&B Porta Garibaldi: it has everything you need for your stay in Milan.

The location is great, close to the Corso Como and the Garibaldi train station and Brera ont he other side. Within a couple of subway stops, you're in the city centre. The neighborhood has lots of restaurants.
The owner speaks excellent English and she leaves the fridge stocked with eggs, yoghurt, bacon, bread, cereals etc so you can fix your own breakfast to your liking.

With the reasonable prices she asks for the B&B, I'd say, don't look further! Stay in Porta Garibaldi, it's excellent!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SabineNL
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Due to the high rating and positive reviews by TripAdvisor, I booked Porta Garibaldi B&B and my experiences were beyond any expectations I had formed.
My friend and I spent a pleasant, comfortable and memorable 3 nights here in mid February 2012. No online booking system available, so I just emailed them to inquire about availability, then Alessandra, the owner replied to me right away, set our reservation immediately without any problems. Alessandra is a wonderful person. I cannot write down properly how sweet and kind she is.
Location was perfect for both of us. I arrived at Milano Malpensa airport then took newly added railway service Malpensa Express to Porta Garibaldi station. About 30 minutes of a clean and comfy train ride, the B&B is only several minutes away from this large train station. My friend was from Zurich by driving his car. The street Viale Pasubio was under reconstruction of some sort, so he could park his car just in front of the B&B.
There are 2 metro stations close by, and the bus #37 goes Porta Garibaldi so we didn't have to move my friend's car during our stay, simply bought day-round passes and took metro, tram and bus services quite conveniently.
The property is very well maintained; spotlessly clean, comfortable beds, shower is hot, powerful and spacious, the kitchen is fully equipped. Yes, the kitchen is really remarkable and made our stay very special. Alessandra filled the fridge and pantry with unexpectedly well variety of foods such as fruits, breads, eggs, milk, yogurts, cream cheese… I can't list them up because of too many items she prepared, and all of them are in good quality.
But still I have to note that her homemade cakes are absolutely magnificent, and the numbers of Nespresso cartridges made us happy campers too. Furthermore, if you still want to buy something, a small but well assorted supermarket Carrefour Express is just under your room, ground floor.
Some reviewers are mentioning about the noise. Yes, if you are a country mouse or a very light sleeper, you might need a nightcap or some preparations. Otherwise, a townie, like me, will not have any problems with street noise at all, in my humble opinion. The biggest potential difficulty would be the availability. They have only one room.
Bottom line: if you are not a very light sleeper, book this B&B with confidence.

Room Tip: Only one room available. Book in a hurry!