“Food was good, service just ok”
Review of Giglio Rosso

Giglio Rosso
Ranked #1,547 of 8,230 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stazione Centrale
Description: Il ristorante Giglio Rosso è sinonimo di quella qualità che solo una gestione famigliare può tuttoggi garantire. È il 1955 quando la famiglia Fontanelli decide di tradurre la propria esperienza e il proprio amore per la buona tavola in un ristorante a Milano in cui alla buona cucina si abbini la massima professionalità.
Seattle, Washington
“Food was good, service just ok”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I had a meal here one evening later in the night (9pm) and was pleasantly surprised with the food.

I started off my meal with a Caprese which was very tasty and a nice portion. My dining partner ordered the same thing but the waiter either didn't hear him or forgot to bring his dish so there was some waiting while he also received his plate.

For dinner I had the Chicken Curry option (yellow curry) and that also was very tasty with some rice on the side to mix with it. For drinks I had a very well priced (7 Euro) glass of Red. The food was great for the price and a good value, the only issue I had was with the service on a couple of notes... the previously mentioned salad that was forgotten was one. The second item was that we asked for butter for the bread at the beginning of the meal and the waiter failed to bring the butter out at all and by the time he was back so we could ask for it, we already had moved on to our meal and were not interested anymore in the bread.

The setting is great, food is great, wanted better service in summary.

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cairo, Egypt
“Upscale and worth it!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Arriving from Malpensa airport by train, we walked over to check in to the Hotel Michelangelo. On the way we passed the Giglio Rosso. I was carrying a cheap 4 pack of wine that I had picked up on offer (the tag was still on it) in La Spezia. The maitre d' was standing in the doorway and remarked, "We have good wine." Hahaha!

So we asked at the hotel desk and they confirmed that the restaurant was indeed good. After settling in to the hotel, we went back - a party of four. We were ushered clear to the back - maybe it was our casual dress - and Carlo waited on us. We ordered and we had a nice bottle of wine.

Everything on the menu was ala carte and the bill with tip was Euro 200. Carlo was a hoot and well worth it!

And I know they have a wine reserve because I walked over a window in the floor that shows it off.

• Visited May 2013
UK
“Bad, surly, arrogant service”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

It was clear from the start that our waiter wanted the dining experience to revolve around him and his needs rather than ours. He didn't listen, got orders wrong and was slow in responding to requests.

It was all about him, and we should be grateful that he was there to serve us - mere customers. The food was good, but not good enough to compensate for the shortcomings. There are lots of restaurants in Milan, we'll be choosing different ones from now on.

• Visited November 2012
Singapore
“Never again!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Four of us were in Milan on day one of our holiday. As is our custom in our country, we normally order a few dishes to share. However this earned the apparent disdain of the waiter assigned to us. As dinner progressed, his service sank to an abysmally low level. We left him a zero tip.

San Jose, California
“How much can bread cost for them to reuse it?”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I had the displeasure of visiting this place on our last night in Milan. The outside looks ok but the decor inside is very clean and nicely decorated. The service was alot of better then the service we got in most places in France but not that much better. The majority of the waiters in Europe I've noticed are servers not waiters. Waiters offer tips or explain the menu and are attentive. Servers basically brings you your food and leave you alone. Would you tip someone at Mcdonalds?
The food is decent but the portion is kid's size. The plate is big so you can enjoy eating the plate after you finish eating to food off it. What disgust me is they bring you a basket of bread. Any uneaten bread is then taken to the side where you can see and they recycle the bread in the bread bin. The next customer comes in and the waiter pops open the bin and grabbed the recycle bread for the next customer to enjoy. How much can bread cost?
The bread that everyone else touches is then serve to the next customers with all the germs and finger prints on it.

• Visited September 2012