“Just Arrived and extremely unhappy”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of TownHouse Galleria

TownHouse Galleria
Ranked #146 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Bend, Oregon
“Just Arrived and extremely unhappy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We just arrived to Town House 8 and upon arrival we were led out of the main building and sent 2 blocks away from the main hotel. (we found out its called "the annex"..) As the person that was leading us to the entrance of the room (by the Gray Hotel) told us this is where we would be staying, we were extremely surprised and shocked. The second floor room, when walking in, was extremely dark with NO windows in the room. The room is lit by LED lighting and has a feel of being extremely sterile and ultra modern. The room has fluorescent blue lighting in the bathroom and neon yellow accents everywhere. I was able to open a tiny door (the only view to the outside) which overlooks a service area. That is the only view we have, garbage cans, a cigarette smoking area and the sound of the kitchen below (for another hotel). I voiced my concern with the concierge and they told me the hotel was booked unless I wanted to upgrade to a jr suite. This would be another 250 Euro otherwise they had no other rooms available. After 15 minutes they called me back to inform me they could transfer to a second room for another 170 Euro per night. From this room all we can hear is pounding, service kitchen noise and the staff on smoke break talking very loudly. This is NOT what we expected. This hotel is listed as a 5 Star hotel but they cannot claim this hotel level based on the "annex". The conciere stated they work closely with Expedia and Hotels.com and they understood that no pictures were on the website or travel partners websites of their Annex. So just beware when purchasing rooms at this hotel to ensure you are not staying in the Annex.

(Lastly, we have communicated twice with the staff and they have not been willing to do anything out of customer satisfaction. I know that they will apologize for my experience and provide the "canned" I'm sorry statement but we are here for 3 days and they have every opportunity to make this right, if they choose! Until then we will stay out of our room as much as possible and NEVER return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you do ask not to stay in the Annex.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

The location is faultless for vista. The hotel is poor value.
The breakfast - poor choice, mediocre and very expensive
The dinners - is there a chef? and poor value
I caught the front desk clerk smoking on the internal stairs
They may give water but only one offer; they didn't fresh the Nespresso capsules
The internet is good speed and free.
So far there seem to be almost no guests
Overall: I give it 2 stars as its not what it says it is. I will look for a better value location next time

Room Tip: Mine pointed into the rather dismal Courtyard
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hässleholm, Skåne Län, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

On a stay in Milano I wanted something special and found five star rated Town House 8. With high expectations I finally found the somehow hidden entrance outside the galleria. It took some time to understand that the outdoor elevator "door-bell" should be used if no doorkeeper is there (which there however were most of the time).

About the hotel: The overall impression is that the location, balcony view and restaurant exceeded my expectations. The room and service did not quite met my expectations, but wasn't generally really bad either. Note: My rating is based on what to expect for five stars and the price paid.

Positive: As mentioned the view and the extremely central location. The galleria is the very most central spot you can find in Milano. Right between La Scala and il Duomo with the shopping district right next door. (Though Salvagente outlet at Via F.lli Bronzetti 16 can be paid a visit for the curious and economic aware person. Just a tip...)
The fact that one of few existing seven star hotels is located in the galleria was also known by me, but that the restaurant and reception was shared with Town House 8 was a pleasant surprise. In fact the lounge and restaurant (with the same nice view) was really excellent. High rates but was it too much? No. With that service and well presented and tasting food it was worth the price. Especially our first evening the waiter (Asian guy) was extremely attentive.

Negative: The room (Deluxe gallery view) was good but not very big. I would also have appreciated a bed lamp but there was none. The TV did not work on the Sunday when we arrived and had not been fixed when we left on the Tuesday. My teenage son was not very pleased by this. Network problems they said... "Nothing we can do about it, the same in the whole hotel". If I've stayed at the seven star part downstairs with their rates I've gone crazy about such answer. Go buy a separate receiver then for god's sake. Not acceptable at all. No discount was given for the inconvenience either.
I've stayed at other just as expensive five stars hotels and I've experienced better attention there I'm sorry to say. Compared to e.g. Grand Hotel Stockholm they are not really close.

However... The view, the location, the restaurant with its service. It almost makes up it all. A three star turns into four. Could have been five though with just a little bit better attention. (And by now the TV problem hopefully is solved...)

For visitors that want this little extra experience and that does not fear the price I can strongly recommend this hotel. But I strongly advice to pay that little extra for a room facing the galleria. I would NOT stay here for a room with a window to the backyard. The whole thing was about the galleria view for me.

Room Tip: Always, I say ALWAYS choose a room facing the Galleria.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ToWest
TownHouse_Italy, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at TownHouse Galleria, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Sirs, it was great having you at Town House 8. We hope in the future to offer always a better service. Head of PR Town House Collection
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed recently for 2 nights in theTownhouse 8 traveling alone. Highly recommend for women traveling alone seeking safe and luxurious accomodations in Milan.
4 and a half stars.

Pros:
-Location and accomodations:Perfect location in the Galleria and just a few steps away from the Duomo. Typical luxury boutique hotel feel -- modern galmour-ish.
-Shopping: Just a block or so away from the mall and other shopping. Also, I asked the hotel to make arrangements to the Foxtown Outlet (In Switzerland). In about an hour, a Mercedes was waiting for me at the hotel to take me to Switzerland (for a reasonable price, in my opinion).
-Arrangements for other entertainment, etc: I'm from San Francisco, and the Opera I wanted to see at La Scala was all sold out. I emailed the hotel couple of weeks before my travel and the ticket was waiting for me when I arrived at the hotel. Not only that, it was the ticket to the most perfect seat -- second row from the front in the middle. It was the amazing experience. The hotel was able to find a ticket to go see The Last Supper also at just a few day's notice.

Cons:
-Though one of the safer spots near the Duomo, the hotel entrance is in an alley way. The night I came back from the Opera, it was pretty dark...and there was no door man to greet me. It was a bit scary walking from the cab to the elevator. (You have to punch in a code to operate the elevator--so it takes time). I would recommend calling the front desk ahead of time and asking someone to come out and greet you.
-The restaurant food in the hotel was not impressive though the room service food was decent. (I think it comes from the same source...but I probably have a higher standard for restaurants in Italy).

Overall a very pleasant experience. Would like to take my husband (who was skiing in Switzerland at the time) next time I'm in Milan.

Room Tip: Make sure you have some Euros before you arrive. The cabs usually don't accept credit cards.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank S K
Benghazi, Banghazi, Libya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My stay with my family was beyond amazing , starting from the punctual Taxi service provided by the hotel ( Bentley :) ) , up to the fast check out service !
the room service was fast as well , beds were soft and warm ,
the room over all was HOMEY !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Botalak
Dear Sir, we would really like to thank you very much for the review that you have left. We are very happy about the quality that we were able to offer you. We hope to see you again in the near future in this Unique Home in the centre of Milan. Head of PR TownHouse Collection
Milan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I returned to Milan after a 9 year absence and found Townhouse to be the perfect quiet and centrally located place to stay. We had a heating problem the first night and staff were right on the problem to ensure our comfort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

TownHouse_Italy, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at TownHouse Galleria, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear guests, Thank you for your comments, that are much appreciated and always helpful. We hope to see you again in the near future in this Unique Home in Milan. Head of PR TownHouse Collection
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at Townhouse 8 and would thoroughly recommend it.
The entrance to the hotel is discreet to say the least. From a courtyard you are able to access the hotel only via a security controlled glass elevator. Reception is small as befits a small hotel . We found the staff to be pleasant, courteous and helpful at all times. Our room was small but not claustrophobic due to the high ceiling. Decoration is modern and understated.
Then you open your window and step onto a small balcony. What a view! The hotel is part of the famous Galleria Vittorio Emanuele and you look down onto the thoroughfare, it's designer shops and amazing architecture. Double windows keep the room quiet when required.
We could hardly ask for a better location for our visit to La Scala, 150m away. And when you want to see the magnificent Duomo you need only walk 100m in the opposite direction.
The bed was comfortable with excellent linen, coffee (nespresso ) is provided along with water and tea making facilities. We were also given a glass of champagne on arrival which was most welcome.
This is a small hotel in a listed building so facilities are limited (on gym or pool) but this is more than compensated for by its position, style and wonderful staff.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neil K
Dear guest, Thank you for your comment, which is much appreciated and always helpful. We hope to see you again in the near future in this Unique Home in Milan. Head of PR TownHouse Collection