“Service takes the cake!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of UNA Maison Milano

UNA Maison Milano
Ranked #12 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Singapore, Singapore
“Service takes the cake!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Service staff: The success of the hotel would most probably be due to the awesome staff they have at the hotel. Everyone whom we met during our 2 night stay were very warm and friendly. They are always eager to help with directions or recommendations for restuarants (fabulous ones indeed). When we wanted a taxi to take us to the airport (which charges a flat Eur 90), they arranged a car service at the exact same cost, so we got to travel to the airport in a very comfortable Merc. Also the service staff went over and beyond to make our stay extra special - Many thanks to Daniele and her team (I should have gotten all their names).

Location: Very central! It's located near the Duomo where all the shops are. You can always shop and drop your bags off at the hotel and continue shopping at the Fashion City. However, if you are shopping at the high end area, i.e. via Montenapoleone, then the walk back to drop off the bags may be a slight hassle.

Rooms: We had the junior suite. Tastefully done. Comfortable with amenities. Windows are sound proof so you don't really have to worry about traffic noise. Wifi strength is really good - facetiming is not a problem.

Tip: add the wifi to your package when you book online for Eur9 a day - it's alot cheaper than getting the wifi when you are at the hotel which will cost you almost 3x the amount. They charge Eur 30 for breakfast but I will suggest that you skip that and head to the many cafes or patisceria for your breakfast.

Con: The lobby is rather small and the reception area is just a small desk. If you have more than 1 group checking in, or you are waiting to ask a simple question, you would need to wait. Not a big deal since they serve drinks when you arrive and some fruit nibbles as you wait.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pcess_jo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

That just about sums it up: you're in the best spot in Milan (while you're checking out the Doumo and the shopping) make sure to check out the bakery behind the hotel), the service is friendly, relaxed and helpful, but the rooms are very small and incredibly high priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tiredfeethappyheart
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed for three nights in this delightful hotel. It's situated in an ideal position for visiting the cathedral and all the main shopping area, Our room, although overlooking the street, was extremely quiet. There was ample room for the two of us and our large bags. We opted to have the 30 Euros breakfast each day and were completely satisfied with the variety and quality. It was worth every cent. Carlo was extremely welcoming as was Deborah. We were given a welcome cup of coffee and after being shown the room, we were also given some very good directions to places of interest. I have no hesitation in recommending this small, personal hotel to anyone who visits Milan

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rosie1166
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had to have a real think before writting the review.

You see I knew milan was going to be expensive for the hotel. but when i considered what was involved for the money I just couldn't endorse this hotel as good. I stayed for one night and didn't have the breakfast.

the problem is not the staff! but the hotel. its white for sure. but when I got to my room I was underwhelmed for the amount I paid for it. it felt distinctly four star with no real character. a refurbished room, but the bathroom felt like it was a late 1990's bathroom, like the owners spent the money on the foyer (which I'll get to in a minute) they basicly got in a cream leather framed bed and painted everything else white.

the problem is the white walls and even the frame of the bed has scuffed marks which makes the room look alittle tatty against the stark white. Now the room is clean and the bathroom too.
location is good, and the soundproofing did it's job it was quieter than I imagined it would be for a city hotel.

but my big beef is with 2 things breakfast and the foyer. On booking the room you notice that breakfast isn't included! and although I got a email after I booked saying if you book breakfast in the room for a discounted price before arrival, I ignored it as I wanted to get breakfast in the city. but still this will push your costs up. but it's only on arrival that you realise why they do breakfast in your room. because there is no dinning room in the hotel! it room service all the way. in otherwords it lack amenities to be considered a four star in my opinion.

As I understand it, it has 26 rooms with a tiny foyer with a mini bar and a lift. and to me it is a scrape above a b&b in facilities a 240 quid a night b&b for (2 with breakfast)

then the foyer/bar
clean, bright, white! it has a desk about 5ft long and a cupboard behind which contains another two staff members the printers a computer system. It's quite comical at check out time. you have 3 staff all cramped within 8sqm. they a practically falling over each other they have so little space to work. this creates a reception desk that is just surrounded by guest with little space and doesn't seem personal at all.

The staff
now the interaction of the staff was good. I arrived late at night and they called a local restaurant at 2230 boked the table and give us directions and a map to it. they where knowledgable, polite helpful. But the hotel setup inhibts the staff, in hotels its usually the other way round! I distinctly remember thinking that the staff want to do better like they know this is not great. In essence they are trying to rise above there surroundings.

Now to point out the fallacy of my review. service. as you are awear i didn't book my breakfast with the hotel. so if you are booking a suite with a dinning table and breakfast then your experience will be diffrent to mine. I read that it does well on these points.

However if like me your booking the room without you are really just paying for the bed and location and at this price it feels like a average experience. Underwhelming is how I felt upon leaving. given the reviews I thought I would put this candid review up.

if your the managment I suggest you relook at the ergonomics of the gust interaction at checkin and out. give staff handheld units allow them in room check out because the foyer space becomes to cluttered to quickly as the desk becomes to congested and the entrance blocked.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SquiffyMonkie
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We picked the UNA Maison based on location - close to La Scala, the Duomo and the Galleria. Was surprised that these places were closer than I thought from the map. The hotel appears to be a narrow doorway, and it is, but the little lobby is first class and the staff extremely efficient. We were greeted with a serving of fresh fruit while we checked in. A nice touch. Our room was long and narrow as the building is that design, but the rooms were large and comfortable. The room was surprisingly quiet considering the street noise out the window. The bed linens were soft and cozy. A nice treat after a long flight. Our breakfast tray arrived on time and was laden with everything we desired. Our room entrance had a table for two so we did not have to eat in the bedroom or mini office.
The desk manager assisted immediately in arranging dinner at a nearby restaurant - there was nothing they would not do for us.
When we checked out, our tour bus could not park on the street by the front door and had to park a couple streets away. Without hesitation, the hotel staff assisted in wheeling luggage the two blocks to the bus.
I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Nice hotel, good location with bars and restaurants very close. A bit noisy inside because of thin doors etc.

But the internet is useless. I'm sorry to say. And as a buisness traveler that has to be fast, and working properly. 24/7

And because of that. I will not return.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank clausfrederiksen
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Excellent service, fantastic breakfast, superb location about 200 yards from the Duomo. The staff is energetic and attentive, very focused on pleasing the customer, spoke excellent English, continually wore wall-to-wall smiles. We arrived at 0900 from the states, were offered coffee/tea while our room was readied. Hotel had been/was fully booked (as it was throughout our 3-day stay). We had an executive king room on the fourth floor in early October 2012.. Made excellent use of the space, looked into/away from street, no view, but was very quiet, especially considering the hotel's location. Easy walks to all of central Milan's attractions. Our king bed was very comfortable, room was well-appointed, all-in-all we thought this an excellent value for the price, especially given the advantage of superb location, which enabled us to make the most use of our time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple