“Bookings beware....poor poor customer service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Nuovo

Hotel Nuovo
Ranked #271 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Birmingham, Michigan
“Bookings beware....poor poor customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked my hotel 12 hours before I needed to arrive and had to cancel due to inclimate weather into Milan. Contacted hotel in writing...Roberto the manager only works in the early morning hours to address my concern. NO ONE ELSE could handle this. Although there is a cancellation policy of 48 hours nothing about within 12 hours of booking you couldnt change. THEY charged me full price with tourist tax on top of it for a service I did not render. I understand cancellation fee but not the full amount.!!!

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank nnv22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

... and that's the best thing about it. You really are in the heart of Milano and within walking distance to some of its main attractions. The palace is pretty from the outside, inside it's just a place to put your baggage, have a shower and sleep, but if that's ok for one night then it's a good and unexpensive choice within the fancy and expensive surroundings.
We had breakfast at a caffé near the duomo, so we can't judge what they'd offer within the hotel.
Rooms were clean and had all you need, beds were ok.
Even though the house is on a square without traffic, you'll hear the garbage truck early in the morning and all other kind of road noise, because the window isolation is very poor.

Room Tip: Maybe there are rooms with windows away from the square - then they might be less noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Elafonisi2000
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed two nights in the Hotel Nuovo in September 2011. There are many wonderful things to say about the hotel - considering its rate, it is truly a gem, and the service is great.

I have requested a quiet room via e-mail, and I received it; the views were not something to brag about - the bedroom window was facing a tiny courtyard and the room itself was quite dark, but there was no street traffic noise, just as I wished; my bags were delivered to my room by the front desk attendant, who was a very helpful host throughout my whole stay; for example, he went to a nearby restaurant to get a screwdriver to open my bottle of wine.

My room was spacious and I had a large bathroom with a bathtub; certainly it is not a modern squeaky clean plastic paradise hotel, but it had some ambiance, the bed was comfortable enough, it had free Wi-Fi internet in the room which worked very well. The closet was an old-fashioned wardrobe, but it was large. Also there is was a little foyer with a full-length mirror and a board with hooks and a chair; I found this charming and convenient for hanging street clothes.

My purpose was to attend two operas at La Scala, and to visit museums and cultural sights, I was alone and for my needs the hotel was ideal, considering what it provides for its rate.

There was really no negative surprises; for everyone's information, the hotel does not have an elevator, no fridge in the room, no breakfast provided; it is quite spartan and I would not spend my honeymoon there. It is tricky to lock the door from the inside. Safety is overall in an old-fashioned sense, and I would not recommend the hotel to those who require absolute security with electronic keys, window alarms, safe deposit box in the room, and so on.

I must also note that when I stayed (late September 2011), the weather was perfect, so I cannot comment on the quality of the air-conditioner or heating.

The shower in my room was part of the bathtub, with no curtain; but the water was hot and with good pressure. The pillows were hard. However, for its rate it was a true bargain - much more expensive properties are right next to it - StarHotel Rosa Grand, Hotel Ambasciatori, etc. There is no doubt more upscale hotels would provide more comfort, but they will charge for it at the modern Milan hotel scale which seems to rise stratospherically in the last 7 years.

Finally, location is ideal - 300 meters to the Duomo, a pleasant walk to La Scala, and it seemed to be in the heart of shopping district, full of shops, restaurants and vivacious crowd. A taxi ride to Stazione Centrale takes about 15 minutes and costs 11-13 euros, depending on traffic conditions.

Naturally, there is a metro station Duomo in the same 300 meters proximity, from where one can connect to anywhere, including airports. I found, however, that the elevators at that station did not work at the time of my stay, and I could not use the metro because I had heavy luggage. It was not a problem in Vienna, where lifts work like clockwork everywhere, and the metro is heavily used by women with children in strollers, old people and travelers with some luggage like me.

What I loved about the service at Hotel Nuovo was that without any haggling or commenting the porter carried my two bags to my room on the third floor. I did not get the same service in some other, more prestigious and expensive hotels during the rest of my voyage to the Lakes.

I would definitely stay at Hotel Nuovo again if I need to visit Central Milan or go to the opera; this hospitable place remains on the pleasant souvenirs list from the voyage.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
8 Thank Gradiva
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

Right Next to Duomo. Easy to reach from subway. 1 star hotel. Clean, small but great for one night in Milao. A little noise from street early in the morning. But it is a typical noise of street cleaning in a City center. Tale a shower makes a little mess in the beathroom. But shower is good and plenty of hot water.
Easy to go anywhere in the City.
Recommended for a single or couple of nights.

• Stayed October 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

I'm sorry to say that I can't recommend this hotel to anyone. Although the location is excellent, the room is better than expected for one star (though I should add the shower is quite primitive), everything is clean and the staff is nice, this hotel is unfit for it's primary purpose: sleeping. Starting before 6 am, the square outside is cleaned with surprisingly loud machines. On Tuesday mornings, this lasts until about 7:30, while on other days it lasts for about 15 minutes. This makes it simply impossible to get a good night's rest here.

Room Tip: Wireless internet is free, but the access point on the second floor doesn't work. Ask for a room...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evdk

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels