“Do your research first...”
Review of OstellOlinda

and 1 more site!
OstellOlinda
Ranked #342 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The thing that frustrated me most about Ostell Olinda was how unhelpful/bemusingly confused the staff seemed to be. One lady, possibly in her late 20s with dark brown hair, checked me in and gave me NO information whatsoever. I had to go down and ask her for a blanket as well as a towel. Any queries were met with a confused expression.
The location was decent imo - off the beaten track, and a little different - but the grounds (an ex-psychiatric hospital) were a little creepy, especially I imagine for a young lady. Some parts had literally no lighting so I was walking with my arms outstretched in fear of tumbling over some misplaced bench or the like.
Wifi - pointless. It doesn't work. Anywhere.
Bites, yep I got them too. Still all over my arm now.
Resident playing music at 6am, yep.
ALSO... They all go home at 8pm. Seriously. What is that all about?! People were turning up at like 9pm and they couldn't get in so obviously a guest would then let them in, but they were then just wandering with no idea what room they could go into etc.
I wouldn't recommend, unless you are completely prepared.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Dean W

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I can see this was a functional hostel, and some might have had an enjoyable stay. the bathrooms are good and the staff are ready to help. The hostel is quite far out, but the metro is close and convenient (10 min to centre), but this info was not provided in booking confirmation so we had to get an expensive taxi (27 euro) from the train station - the only directions provided were by car. The rooms were very hot in August and there was no air con, but open windows meant we were eaten to death by mosquitos. And potentially fleas, seeing as how bites started appearing under our pyjamas. The worst thing was there was a man living in the room opposite who played his music loudly until 2am. We had a reservation for 3 nights. We stayed for 2 and then decided we'd rather sleep at the airport for our last night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hannah S
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Well to start with the only directions they give you on booking are by car but we arrived from the station. The taxi driver had a really struggle to find it because it had no number 45 on the outside like it should have done. Just OstellOlinda in tiny writing on a huge wooden yellow arch on the front of the entrance. What they don't tell you is that it is an ex psychiatric hostel on a dodgy looking site with a few live in residents. The people who own it help those who are jobless (this is a good thing!) The hostel was easy to get to on the Metro line though and the guy who checked us in was helpful. The room was nothing like the pictures, very plain and hospital like beds which were however comfy. We had a good first night but my friend was very bitten by the mosquitoes despite having a plug they had given us and huge amounts of jungle formula. I was lucky and only had 4 bites the first night. The second night was horrendous. We were covered in bites when we woke up but the worst thing was being kept awake until 2 in the morning by the live in resident in the room opposite us playing music very loudly (the hostel was empty they could have put us anywhere!). He obviously didn't care that people were staying in the room opposite as he started playing it again at 7am! He also had no skills in putting the lid down and flushing the loo either. We checked out a night early as we had an early flight and decided we would get more sleep in the airport! We also would have had to get a taxi back to the station and a shuttle bus to the airport which we didn't want to contend with at 4 in the morning. We were exceedingly glad we did as we asked the lady on the desk to order us a taxi at 8pm (just before the reception closed) she said it would take 10 minutes. We went outside to wait and wait and wait. We saw her leave about quarter past 8 (she didn't check the taxi had come). Well after half an hour we weren't sure what do (originally thinking the metro stopped at half 7). I rang on the doorbell and an old lady appeared who I hadn't seen before. I told her that our taxi hadn't turned up but she was very rude and told me we hadn't waited long enough! After 50 minutes and attempting to find the guard (no-where to be seen) we walked to the metro station in search of some help. Luckily for us there were 2 very kind Italian policemen in the security room at the station who informed us that the metro went on until midnight. Still the fact that the hostel had left us to wait for a no show taxi was awful. We were glad we hadn't gone through that at 4 in the morning! The women in reception let down the 2 helpful guys who did reception.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank archere
Reviewed August 5, 2013

So I booked this hostel simply because it was one of the cheapest that I could find. Trust me its cheap for a reason and you're much better off finding a nicer place to stay than a creepy former mental hospital in the middle of nowhere. The absolute worst hostel I have ever stayed in and it was also on the last night of my trip in Europe so talk about ending on a sour note. So lets get started the bathroom I used to take a shower has a lock that jams and will literally lock you inside the bathroom. I had to climb out the window and buzz the reception to let me back in so less than an hour of being in the hostel things started on shaky ground. The keys that they gave me didn't work so when I returned to the hostel at 10pm I had to buzz the front door and pound on it for 10 minutes but nobody answered I tried the cafe entrance (they have a sign that says to go there for late arrival) and what do you know can't get I'm there either. So once again I had to climb back into the hostel after whih I promptly wrote this review to warn fellow backpackers coming to Milan to think twice about staying here. There reception closes at 8 and the staff is incredibly unhelpful hopefully you find a nicer hostel and enjoy your night in Milan more than I did!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank JohnSLee
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is literally in the middle of nowhere. Its the second last stop on the metro line. It is also not easy to find-hidden in an old hospital complex with no signs!
The rooms are okay, spacious, but youll have staff members walking in and out for no reason and the rooms arent cleaned everyday.
There is a communal kitchen, but you cant leave food in there, even clearly labelled because the staff will eat it.
There is nothing in the area and for the price youre paying it really is not worth it. The building is run down, the gardens unkept, the staff make you feel unwelcome and if you're looking to meet people, find somewhere else. The hostel is empty more often than not.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank kfaith90
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The beds are old hospital beds. The area is really remote with tons of misquitos. The grounds don't look like that picture. It isn't awful but I am still itching from the experience and I had a private room. Def find another option and use this as a last resort. The people with the 5 stars must be employees because no way would it ever be 5-stars!

Room Tip: It doesn't matter. the rooms are all empty in August you'll be alone no matter what you choo...