“Good choice for a short stay in Milan”
Review of Canada Hotel

Canada Hotel
Ranked #31 of 427 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Good location, Close to the city center (10min walk to the doumo square) , clean room, friendly staff. The breakfast was ok (good coffee, but the orange juice was bottled, not fresh;-) ). The room size was very good for a 3 stars hotel.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We spent a weekend in November in this hotel. Our stay at Hotel Canada was very nice. This three star hotel is absolutelly above the average. Rooms are comfortable and clean and the bathroom very well equipped. Big and copious breakfast. It is only a short walk from the city center (but the street is busy). Staff is very friendly and ready to provide an answer and a solution to all my questions and extra-requests.
I suggest it.

Room Tip: Higher floors to hear less noise from the room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2012

If there is one hotel that is cold, unaccommodating and perhaps hostile, Canada Hotel certainly fits the bill. I'm writing this review to let Trip Advisor users be more informed in their decisions by stating the experience I had with them factually.

I booked two triple rooms with Canada Hotel for a trip in late Dec. Like many other Trip Advisors users, I was attracted to the hotel because of the good reviews and location of the hotel. However, my wife got pregnant recently and the doctor advised my wife against travelling. Naturally, I have to cancel my travel plans.

I approached Canada Hotel to request if they can refund the rooms out of goodwill or convert my bookings into credits for future use, knowing that my bookings are non-refundable. As expected, Canada Hotel replied that the bookings are non-refundable and only allowed me to credit my bookings till 10 Jan 2013. I'm not sure whether Canada Hotel knows that pregnancy takes a total of 36 weeks when they offered that 10 Jan 2013 deadline. I further explained to Canada Hotel that 10 Jan 2013 will not work for me and requested for a one year deadline. However, I got the same reply from Canada Hotel. I wanted to share my experience with other Trip Advisor users on how cold and unaccommodating Canada Hotel is to pregnant mothers and fathers to be. Guess what? Canada Hotel accused me of blackmailing and said they will work with Trip Advisor to prevent my review from going out. How amusing.

So, I will let all of you be the judge and decide for yourself if this is the hotel you want to stay and the customer experience you want to have.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Alltime_Travel_Lover
Reviewed November 11, 2012

positive surprises: great staff, clean, nicely appointed washrooms (modern, good shower, well-lit, etc.)
satisfactory: pillows, TV and channels, breakfast, location
cons: climate control: in winter the rooms can be warmed and in summer they can be cooled, but not both in Spring/Autumn. We opened our window to cool the sun-warmed room but a) traffic was loud on street at night, and b) the window was broken (it would not "tip").

tip: ask for a room facing the back if possible

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraNicoletti, Direttore at Canada Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear guest,
thank you for your review. you're right about when you talk about warning because we have two different sistem for the summer and for the winter.
about the window we apologize and I advise you to allert us when something doesn't work so we can fix it.
we have a different kind of rooms, bigger or smoller and three rooms are in front of the street and two laterally.
if somebody want can write to us a special request and if the rooms not in the front of the street are free we can pre-.assigning the room.
Thank you again and have a nice week.
best regard

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I found this hotel to be quite a decent choice for Milano as it is located quite close to the center of town withing 10-15 minute walk to the Galleria and Duomo. It is located on a quite street with convnient super market a minute away. The rooms are small but modern and the bath has a very good shower. Internet is free but was down during our stay. I would consider staying there again. A solid 3 star rating

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
we are so happy for your review! We apologize for our wifi. we want to give a special service with wifi free but at time but can happen that it doesn't work.
We hope you will come back!
Have a nice week.
best regard

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our stay at Hotel Canada was very pleasant and I was impressed with the cleanliness and quality of the room given the 3 star rating. The bathroom was very new and well-equipped, the bed very comfortable, and the staff very welcoming and accommodating. Only problem was the air con, which didn't seem to be working. It wasn't hot outside but it would have been nice to have air flow in the room. Opening the window is not a good option at this hotel, as the street noise is quite loud. Other than that, it is a very economical place to stay, only a short walk into the centre of Milan.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
BarbaraNicoletti, Direttore at Canada Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review and we are too happy to read you stayed well with us.
about the air conditioning during the autumn we can't use because we stopped it.
Usually the weather and the temperatures are low and we turn on the heating.
We are so sorry but we hope to see you again next time.
Best regard

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Unfortunately, we did not have the good experience of other reviewers. We stayed in October when Milan was having a mini-heatwave. However, the air conditioner was not working. We were not told this when we arrived, so we turned it on the first night and it blew hot air. It was dreadful. The next morning, when we complained, a member of staff told us that the heating was shut down in early October, for the winter, and could not be turned back on. The following day, another member of staff told us a different story, that the AC was broken and would take some time to fix. We had a colleague staying in another room, and like ours, her room was very stuffy - she had the good sense to ask for a fan, but there were none to be had. In the end, we had to open the windows, but the street noise was so loud as to be unbearable, and the mosquitos equally unbearable.

We stayed for four nights and the breakfast service was exactly the same every morning, so it was a little dull. Great coffee though (I imagine it is a crime to serve bad coffee in Milan).

On the up side the room we had was ok and clean, as per the other reviews.

No discount was offered as recompense for our complaint, however they offered us a two-for-one stay for a future visit, but we declined and told the staff we would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Christiana S
BarbaraNicoletti, Direttore at Canada Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Guest,
we are so sorry for what happened. You are right for the problem of the air conditioning.
earlier this week the outside temperature was low and customers were complaining about the cold so we decided to turn off the air conditioner and turn on the heat.
unfortunately the day after the outside temperature has risen and we phoned the supplier to operate new air conditioning but they arrived only two days after and the air conditioning was broken. For this reason, we have caused a disservice to our customers and we are sorry.
usually we offer a discount, and I'm sorry that it was not proposed to you.
we regret very much and unfortunately we can not always solve the problems in a short time.
We apologize again.