“Good for business travellers”

Doubletree by Hilton Milan
Ranked #99 of 431 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Istanbul, Turkey
“Good for business travellers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in DT Hilton during a fair , 10 min taxi ride , although a little bit far away from Malpenze . The taxi has a flat rate of 90 euros !!!! Dont stay in the heart of The city cause it is far away from the fairground and the traffic was unbelievable , taxis are VERY expensive in Milan , train and metro is highly recommended.
The hotel was good , friendly staff , comfortable beds . Wifi comnections are low or none in some rooms . Breakfast was seper !!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We decided that we wanted to go to Milan for a few days during the Easter break. Having had a very good experience with DoubleTree by Hilton Fort Lee on our last holiday to New York, DoubleTree by Hilton Milan was the chosen hotel for our stay.

We were to land at Milan Linate airport and the hotel had offered 3 options to get from the airport to the hotel. By train, bus or the simplest was to have an airport pickup. The pickup service was offered at €50 (from Malpensa airport this is €90), which felt reasonable and we’d pay the driver direct. It should be noted that this service is actually handled by an external agency. I’d provided the flight details and landing times and everything was booked fairly swiftly by the hotel. Confirmation of room and pickup booking was provided and we were told the driver would be at the arrival hall. Unfortunately, there was no one there when we had finally got through into to the arrivals. After several phone calls from the very helpful airport customer services man, and 30 minutes of waiting someone finally arrived to pick us up. It turned out the original driver had some car problem, and so had to arrange a second driver to pick us up. These things happen I suppose.

The drive to the hotel is about 30 minutes. Having arrived at the airport, the replacement driver wanted €55 as he was not actually part of the original agency booked through, but an airport drop service offered by the airport. Our original driver had contacted the airport to get him out of the woods. So anyway, we paid up and brought the issue up with the hotel front desk (who booked the service for us). They seemed to want to wash their hands of any responsibility to try and resolve what had happened claiming that as it was an external agency, it had nothing to do with them. Unfortunately, if you offer a service to your guests, whether it is directly or indirectly part of the hotel's service, the hotel should still take some form of responsibility to ensure the service offered is fulfilled as quoted. Long story short, the front desk eventually contacted the car agency who offered to take us back to the airport for €40.

The check-in was standard formality. The room was pre-paid however they still wanted my card details to place a €120 block in case of any damages etc. The DoubleTree brand is infamous for the delicious warm cookie received during check-in however we did not receive this.

Access to the lifts and rooms can only be done via the room card given during check-in. Also, for anything to work in the room, the card needs to be placed in the machine as you enter the room. The room we were in was a twin room adorned with the “sweet dreams” bedding. It was fairly spacious, and bathroom consisted of bath and shower. There is a kettle in the room with the usual tea and coffee sachets. The TV consists of about 60 channels, of which only about 3 are English. There is a mini-fridge in the room but this is empty. There wasn’t any complimentary bottled water either. I asked the front desk about this who pointed out the fridge full of soft drinks in the foyer stating that we could take what we liked but it would be chargeable. As a Hilton Honours member we should have at least got bottled water and soft drinks for free like we did at DoubleTree by Hilton Fort Lee! I paid for my bottle of water and asked for my cookie that got missed during check-in.

The room feels a little too modern. There are switches and features everywhere and sometimes not in the most obvious of places. For example, it took about 5 minutes to realise how to let the water drain in the bath when using the shower. I’d spent time pulling, twisting and pushing on the taps and features around the taps only to realise that the plug actually just pulls out of the plug hole! Another example is the bathroom light. Outside the bathroom are several light switches, but inside the bathroom is one more switch by the mirror which controls the light above the mirror. We could not work out how to turn it off until we’d asked the cleaner the next morning after an unrested sleep.

As mentioned by another reviewer, the room is stuffy indeed! The air conditioner doesn’t work very well at all. I’d mentioned it to maintenance and front desk who said “yes it is working”. The view from our room was of a derelict building.

The hotel has a restaurant onsite which hosts the buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfast has a varied selections of hot and cold food and various cakes and pastries. They offer coffee and juice from machines which I didn’t particularly like. The juice tasted very watery and as though it was from concentrate. The coffee wasn’t very nice either. Although, there is a jug of freshly squeezed orange juice that is kept separately (almost as though they don’t want you to see it) on the bar counter. Also, if you ask the man who looks after breakfast service he will make you an espresso.

The dinner at the restaurant is nice. The menu is fairly small and limited but it tastes very nice. The man who looks after the dinner service is also very nice and hospitable.

There isn't much in the local area so one has to go into the main city to do anything. The front desk offer tram tickets at a cost of €1.50 lasting 90 minutes from when you get it stamped in the machine (at the front of the tram) which lets you take the tram the Duomo from which you can go anywhere. The nearest tram stop to the hotel is about 2 minutes walk (front desk offer a map to the nearest tram stop). Duomo is 20 stops or 30 minutes from the hotel. For those wishing to visit Lake Como, from Dumo take the green line metro to Cadorna. From here take the over ground train to Como Largo. The train costs €4.55 per person one way and the journey is about 1 hour. The journey allows for some amazing views of the alps.

Overall, the hotel didn’t meet my expectations from the previous DoubleTree experience. I found (as mentioned by quite a few other reviewers) the front desk staff to be varied in their interest and effort to help with issues and questions, almost apathetic. In comparison, the hospitality staff working in the restaurant and bar were perfect. Nothing could be too much for them and service was always provided with a smile and willingness to please.

Would I stay here again? Maybe if all other hotels are fully booked. Would I recommend? Probably not.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shreebo
Somewhere on the Sea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I recently stayed at the Doubletree Milan for 10 nights. As life sometimes goes, situations arise outside of anyone's control. And, in the end we're judged not for situation, but rather for how we reacted to the situation.

During my stay, life threw a curve ball and I was looking for a fastball. The management and reception staff did a fantastic job of sorting my situation quickly and professionally.

The bartenders and waitstaff are all very friendly, cheerful people.

This was my first stay here. The hotel is located in a bit of a seedy neighborhood ... but one that is clearly on the mend. That's the only downside to the hotel.

I look forward to staying here agin when I return to Milan in the summer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

its a nice small hotel in,the middle of nowhere.. rooms are cozy and amenities are provided. room is clean, but air-conditioning is not very good, room is a bit stuffy. breakfast is average with a good selection of pastries and bread. hot food selection is limited to a few. there is nothing much around the hotel unless you a willing to take a good hike to get to the restaurants and supermarket. the staff are so..so.. some are friendly and some are not.. the welcome cookie is very nice though..

Room Tip: there is no view around the hotel, so i guess all rooms are more or less the same..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Room is comfortable , look new, clean, modern but no nice view.( for room 348)
Toilet is big , clean, beautiful and with bath tub. Shower is good.
Breakfast is good, good variety and serve with fresh fruit.
Service is good.

• Stayed March 2013
Belluno, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel : I was in the city to attend an international fair. The hotel offers comfortable and large rooms differently from many hotels in Milan. Perfect mattress and pillow for a relaxing sleep. Unfortunately one day after being back very tired in the evening I found the room not been cleaned. The breakfast was in the average ( and the same every day ) : but being in Italy ... I was expecting to get a capuccino or a "caffè latte" rather than the poison served by the automatic coffee machine ! In any case I guess the inconveniences I experienced were due to an awful management programme rather than the helpful & nice staff at the reception. Firstly I took 40 minutes to check in despite there was no queue at the reception desk. Then I had to change several times my room key because it demagnetized every time ... I stayed on the 5th floor - that means a lot to wait for the lift to go down to the reception desk to get a new card ! It took long time also to check out ... the hotel was pre-paid : I just had to pay for the city tax ( for some rooms of my colleagues ). Then finally I would suggest not to have dinner at the hotel restaurant. Our company had agreed on two dinners at set menu : quite pricey indeed, but what we got was total nasty food unfortunately. Again - being in Italy - we would have expected some decent & tasty dishes !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
gregoriopecoraro, Direttore at Doubletree by Hilton Milan, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Alerock,

I'm happy you appreciate our wonderful beds and the comfort of our rooms. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding happened for the cleaning of the room, we use not to enter in rooms when the light out of the door shows it is occupied (red light is on when the key is in the key pad) that's why leaving the key in the room we did not have the possibility to clean the room during the second day of your stay. About the breakfast we usually ask at the guest accueillance if they want an espresso or a cappuccino from our Bar and we offer a fresh orange juice, I'm sorry this did not happened with you and I will take care this not happen again. Restaurant is one of our best appreciated service from the totality of our guest and we usually have wonderful reviews on it, but of course this time it seems we have missed something. We are in contact with the agency who organized the package also to understand if someone else was not happy with the service and take the action needed. Thanks again for you time and I hope to see you again in the Hotel to show you our improvments
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here on a few occasions for business, most recently in February. Very nice and modern hotel, well suited for business travelers. The check-in staff are very friendly and the warm cookies on reception are a nice bonus as well. Rooms are very spacious, especially for European standards. Beds are comfy, wifi has been a little hit and miss in some rooms. Breakfast in the morning is very good, lots of choices of drinks, and hot/cold foods. The hotel itself is definitely a good ways from the city center but very easily accessible. The tram stop is a 2-3 min walk away, and takes about 25 mins to get to the plaza where the Duomo is. Taxi's can also be called and usually show up within a few minutes. Very convenient hotel and looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: The area around the hotel is not the best for views, I prefer looking into the nice courtyard rather...
Stayed February 2013, traveled on business