“Superb food and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Don Carlos

Don Carlos
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Don Carlos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #793 of 8,033 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Brera
Description: The Don Carlos, pays homage to Maestro Giuseppe Verdi, who stayed at the Grand Hotel et de Milan for more than twenty years. An intimate and elegant setting with paintings, sketches and scene-paintings from the La Scala Theatre Museum. The Don Carlos Restaurant serves Italian traditional cuisine under the light of its antique silver chandelier. Under the executive management of the Chef Angelo Gangemi, the Don Carlos offers a traditional Italian cuisine which presents all ingredients according to their seasonality, interpreting with originality and refinement menus taken from the flavours and fragrances of the Mediterranean tradition. It is listed in the leading guide-books and reviews as one of the most exclusive restaurants in Milan, having reached a top gastronomic level, with excellent service in an elegant atmosphere. In the cellar, that prides itself on 200 labels, you can find the remains of an old Roman wall that dates back to 250 AD. Open for after theatre dinners, in the warm seasons it is also possible to eat outdoors.
“Superb food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We chose this restaurant on the recommendation of a work colleague who is Italian and lives in Milano. The food was superb—every dish that we had was excellent and the service was very friendly (very good English spoken) and attentive without being intrusive. The restaurant is small—there were only a limited number of tables in the main room, and then four at the entrance which is where we sat. We made the reservation about two weeks in advance—maybe you need to reserve earlier if you want to sit in the main room. But in the end, we were happier to be seated where we were—it was much quieter there. We would highly recommend this restaurant and would go back again.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank pigwrestler
Steven F, Restaurant Manager at Don Carlos, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

first of all I would like to thank you for your positive feedback given; is extremely important for us.

We are happy that recommendation through word of mouth are working well and are matching new guest satisfaction. It means a lot for us and it proof that we are serving a product that clients are undoubtedly sure to recommend to others.

Booking in advance is definitely recommendable in our Restaurant order to get the best table in the main dining room, your feedback let us think that we have arranged the better solution for you that evening and of course we are extremely happy for it.

Please, in case you are going to visit us again, be free to mention this post, I will be glad to welcome you again and to provide you the best table possible!

Kind regards

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Conegliano, Italy
“Quite the experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Ok, so the one thing I read is you have to come here but NOBODY mentioned DON'T bring your kids. We didn't know what we were getting in to until we sat down and saw the menu. It's an incredible menu, the ambiance amazing but it's not a place you bring your kids. I don't think even Brad & Angie would. But the staff was fabulous with my kids! They made them special plates. It is a bit expensive but you get the total package. The food was all wonderful. I would definitely recommend it for a date! Note, it's a bit hard to find. It's tucked in between two buildings and off the street.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank CFroehlich70
Steven F, Restaurant Manager at Don Carlos, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very glad to receive your positive feedback given towards us.

We always try to provide the best for any situation even in special occasion, as it was yours spent in our restaurant.

It is a pleasure for us to satisfy yours and your kid's desires.

The Don Carlos Restaurant provides an unique atmosphere due to its elegant décor.
Our rounded table with linen clothes and candle light, well separated from each other, make a romantic and pleasant ambience where to dine.

We are happy that you have had a positive experience in Don Carlos Restaurant and
I sincerely hope to welcome you again soon.

Geneva, Switzerland
“great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Arrived late in the evening to Milano and picked this one as it had been recommended by a friend (yes, recommendatuions work :-)). great service, athmosphere, deco; perfect wine card (we choose Italian of course), an had a full menu - polpo (entree) and the seabass & shrimp are MUSTs. while priecy (what isn't in the center of Milan), I'd say it's worth it. Great for couples & busienss, wouldn't bring kids.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndiS1972
Steven F, Restaurant Manager at Don Carlos, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

first of all I would like to thank you for your precerence given.

On behalf of the entire Don Carlos's Staff we are glad to hear that the recommendation given to you have been satisfactory and have matched your expectations concerning our service and our food and wine choices.

Be free to contact me for any further informations regarding our restaurant.

Bergisch Gladbach
“real fine dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

A little bit hidden, we found this place by coincidence. One of the best fine dining experiences I had in the las months. Very attentive service, competent sommeliére, and ... excellent food. Free appetizer (Foie gras) as a small goodie, and a free basket of 6 regional bread types. Definitely the place for a romantic dinner.

• Visited March 2013
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for your positive feedback given.

Customer's feedback are vital for us due to our daily improvement in manner of service, wine selection according to our seasonal menu.

Please be free to contact me for any other further informations.

I remain,
Moscow, Russia
“Sometimes ViaMichelin give wrong recommendation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was in this restaurant with my family. I choosed it follow ViaMichelin recommendation. But that time it was a fault. Too pathos place for typical rich tasteless Russian people. At first the staff was considerate but after entrees they lost their attention to us: they forgot to remove empty plate in time, to pour the wine and etc. The food was not so exellent for such money. They paid more attention to another tables in spite of we were there with a child. I regret to spent my time there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Steven F, Restaurant Manager at Don Carlos, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for writing, it is very important for us, to grow and to do better.

I am sorrowful to hear that you have have such a poor experience. We constantly try to provide to all our guests the same impression: for us the guest is really important especially a family accompanied by a child and your point of view is essential to prevent these things from happening again.

Our clientele is European and as well international, a lot of guests are visiting our restaurant after theatre due to our proximity with La Scala Theatre. We are also an hotel restaurant -the Grand Hotel et de Milan- and this hotel has 150 years, so I am really sorry to hear your comment about pathos and tasteless.

If you would think to give us a second chance, please consider me at your complete disposal, I will be glad to show you personally the Roman wall -dated back to 250 AD- made by Massimiano Emperor, that is just under the restaurant, and I will show you the hotel where al lot of important musicians as Giuseppe Verdi, Maria Callas and Enrico Caruso has lived for many years.

Yours sincerely,