“attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Solferino

Il Solferino
Reserve with
Il Solferino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 8,078 Restaurants in Milan
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Stazione Centrale
Description: Solferino", well known reastaurant in Milan since 1909, placed in the famous and typical district "Brera", show its special clientele its new face; even keeping its historical features, "Solferino" shows today its perfectioned image, supported by the new furnishing and colors.
Miami, Florida
“attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I had high expectations when Il Solferino was highly recommended by the hotel concierge at Principe de Savoia in Milan. We had a reservation for 9 p.m. We were standing in line until 9:30 p.m. when we were seated next to the bathroom door. There were at least 20 people in line with prior reservations. It took the waiter 20 minutes to come and take our order. Finally, when the veal milanese arrived, it was extremely dry. The waiter apologized and asked us to give him a few minutes to prepare another. What was our surprise? After one minute the owner came to our table, with our dish in his hand, demanding to know what was wrong with the veal? My wife (who never complains about anything, not even me) told him it was dry. The owner lectured us that we did not know "Milanese Cooking" and we did not know what we were talking about, and then proceeded to huff and puff back to the kitchen with the plate. We never saw him again. Needless to say, we did not expect this kind of treatment from a reputable restaurant, with high recommendations. When we returned to the Hotel Principe de Savoia, and we told them of our experience, they could not believe it.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank StevenK305

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London
“Lovely place but disappointing experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I was really looking forward to some proper old school milanese charme.
The restaurant looks the part, charming and wonderfully old school.
But service was sloppy and distracted from the start.
And food wasn't outstanding.
Wine list was good though.
The olive oil and dressing for my bufala and tomato never arrived.
The oil finally arrived with the main course. Ridiculous.
The main dish was fresh pasta, so average that I can't even recall what it was.
What I can clearly recall is the liquid soap in the toile. It was so harsh and industrial strength, the smell staid on my hands and had whiffs of it all through dinner.
What a pity, I so wanted to love this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank lapis-philosophorum
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Italian excellence”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Yes, it's a bit touristy... But we were tourists. Expensive, but excellent. Good food, service and wonderful wine. Definitely worth a dinner visit if you are in Milan. We let the waiter choose for us and he chose well. Enjoy!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Duncan M
Barrie, Ontario
“Fantastic meal and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

How many travelers will relate that a bottle of water landed in their lap, and they still love the place! I walked into the restaurant as I knew there were a few very good ones in the area, without a reservation, as a solo. The best liquor store in the city happens to be across the street. The owner kind of made a table for me to be accommodating, which was great of him, but I was kind of in the way of traffic. Ordered a wonderful Amarone and a bottle of water. Waiter proceeded to bump my table shortly thereafter and both bottles started to fall. I grabbed and saved my wine glass, waiter grabbed the wine bottle and saved it and the only casualty was a wet shirt and lap from the water. Waiter was beside himself apologizing profusely, as I was just laughing it off as a part of travel, and no big deal as the wine was saved. New table cloth, new candle, new water and I was back in business. I had the best burrata I have ever had as an appetizer, followed by the best osso bucco with Milanese risotto I have similarly had. The marrow was incredible. With no complaints from myself at all, the owner who also apologized, took money off the bill, and provided me with this great dessert tray and a bottle of grappa. I will make sure next time I have a reservation, and this has of course become another "must restaurant" on my list in Milano.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Don R
Madrid, Spain
“ITALY AT ITS BEST”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We are becoming regulars at Solferino, it has that italian feeling of a small restaurant, less than ten tables, full of real Italy. The crowd is mostly local and the food authentic and pure Lombardía.
The service perfect and the tastes delicious.

Visited September 2013