“Stay away!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Centro Storico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

My wife and I were charged 5 euros each for unrequested dry bread which we didn't even eat (no explanation for this charge on the menu or elsewhere). We asked a single question to the pushy waiter and he literally through the ticket at us and walked off (should have left at this point but we were tired and hungry). 15 min later, the the owner took our order without issue. Food was mediocre at best. Anchovies were of the canned sort you buy in grocery stores all over the u.s. We were then charged an 11% service fee (bringing the total cost of 2 people just sitting down to 11 euros). Hard to imagine that italians would be willing to pay their ridiculous service fees. My guess is that these fees are reserved for tourists. There is a great panzatti place right around the corner. Go their instead.

1 Thank Jpwiii

Ottawa, Canada
“Rotten meat and stale bread.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Add the terrible wine and strange cover charge for the worst food experience in Milan.

• Visited May 2011
Milan, Italy
“A horrible dirty overpriced bistrot (not a restaurant)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

I was there with my girlfriend. We were sitted in the center of the bistrot. After some time spent there an owner started complaining to a waiter that put us there. I live in Italy for 8 years so I could clearly understand what he was saying. And that was something like: "Why did you put those youngsters in the center of attention?" I swear to God not to interfere with waiter's choice of a place.

We started with a plate of Tuscany prosciutto. After that we were served two beef fillets (alla bue as they call it) which is supposed to be there specialty with a portion of typical boiled potatos and a carciofi salad. We took their house Chianti as I usually do in Milan (I go with guest wine) and had 2 desert. This choice will cost you 150e as they are one of the few places that still charge 11% for the service! In 99% of other places in Milan that is included. So pay attention when ordering and add 11% to the price you see in the menu. A simple salad in a very simple plate costs 11e. That much you will pay for simple plate of boiled potatoes. That is insane in my opinion.
We were rushed to eat everything in 30 mins even though most of the tables were empty. I ve been to dozens of other restaurants in Milan and one of the things that I loved about them is their time management. They really know how to accomodate to the needs of their clients and understand immediately how much time we want to spend ther. On the contrary at La Bruschetta they are rude and pushy and wont let you eat in peace but would always be there to check whether they can take away your plate.

There is another restaurant just around the corner. I will not write its name so others dont consider it an advertisment. I found that place expensive with a very tasty food and treatment that each person regardless a tourist or a citizen deserves.

Do NOT enter there. La Bruschetta is a place for locals that get there a 20% discount and like to immerge in the atmosphere that saw their fathers become rich. It is not a nice atmosphere. You deserve more for your money.

• Visited December 2010
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“overcharged and cramped”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2010

tables so close together you feel as though you are sitting on the knees of the people at the next table. We were charged 5 euros for a basket of dry bread which was brought to the table without request and 4 euros for service charge ( 9 euros before we even start eating). Pizza was okay but a bit greasy. Would not recommend this restaurant. Food mediocre, overcharged and rude staff.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Kent, UK
“Terrrible and a complete CON”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

Food not up to standard and also conned on cover charge. When queried a very angry and rude waiter tried to explain the charge but not in a nice way. Would not recommend.

1 Thank TravellerKent_UK