“The Legend of Vasco”
Review of Da Vasco

Da Vasco
Ranked #24 of 456 Restaurants in Mantua
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

My business partner visited Vasco numerous times and all I heard was Vasco this and Vasco that. Mostly about steaks and some strange yellow custard type dessert.

Well I finally got my turn last week as part of my visit to my friends at Supersprint. They even asked if I wanted to go for lunch there but I said let's save it until the evening when he serves steak.

Steak this evening was courtesy of a Bison. Never had Bison steak but the fillet was soft and melt in the mouth. The sides of mushrooms and pototoes were equally well cooked and tasty.

The yellow custard Zabionne..served with a puff pastry was sweet and sticky. Difficult to describe the taste but it was a nice way to finish the meal.

The service was fantastic as the was relaxed atmosphere. Look forward to visiting again.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Following previous reviews we gave De Vasco a go during our short stay in Mantua. Upon arriving at the restaurant (about 9pm on a Friday evening) we were a little concerned that it was so quiet. There were only two other couples dining and the atmosphere was a bit flat. However, any concerns were banished when the food arrived. We had opted for the Canadian Fillet and as one of the priciest steaks on the menu our expectations were high. The steak arrived on a circular slab of heated Himalayan stone. Perched atop a slice of toast, it was possible to slice into the steak and if you preferred it cooked a little more, you could rest it on the stone which cooks it in milliseconds. This unique stye of service ensures the steak stays warm whilst you eat it without being in danger of overcooking it. I wish other steak houses followed this procedure - as a very slow eater my food is invariably cold by the time I get towards the end! The side dishes were slightly less impressive - roast courgette and aubergine was a little dry but the chips were good and the meat was so tasty we were happy to overlook the veg.

The proprietor recommend wine for the meal - which was delicious and affordable - and we enjoyed ourselves so much we hardly noticed the restaurant was so quiet. I would certainly recommend to fellow beef lovers.

Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

This is a steak house, Italian style. Beef and buffalo of US, Australian, Italian and possibly other origins, in various cuts, well prepared. Probably more unusual for an Italian than an American.
They serve you a small complimentary antipasto while you wait for you main dish.
Typical Italian vegetables accompany the meat. You also get a hot salt rock to heat your pieces on if they cool down.
The wine list is not very long but well chosen and nicely priced (we had a Lagrein from Alto Adige). We ate early and the service was quick and friendly as you'd expect. They speak very limited English.
Obviously, don't go here for a typical Italian meal, but it's a nice venue for a carnivorous interlude.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

Have been to Vasco's restaurant 3 times in 2011.
The service is absolutely fantastico!
A very friendly and welcoming environment whether your going in for a quick snack or a full 3 course dinner.
The steaks are some of the best quality I have ever tasted and the variety of different meats is vast.
Vasco himself is somewhat of an artist with his food tastes!
Outside of the meats, there is also the 'Angry Pasta'. If your into hot food this will give your taste buds a real treat.
Then there is the very 'strange' desert called 'Zabionne'. This is a traditional dish of the Montovan area and you should do some reading on it's purpose... it's quite entertaining.
A thick alcoholic custard looking sauce with a grape jelly. It has a real kick and just leaves you wanting more. Be careful not to have too much otherwise you'll be quite frisky later on :)
I visit Italy many times a year and VASCO always gets most of the visits.
Now, we just need to convince him to open in London!

1  Thank Salman J