“An absolutely wonderful and memorable experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ristorante Il Cigno dei Martini

ristorante Il Cigno dei Martini
Ranked #5 of 431 Restaurants in Mantua
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“An absolutely wonderful and memorable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and I unexpectantly turned up at the restaurant only to be greeted at a large glass door by a very warm and hospitable owner. We spoke very little Italian but that didn't matter as he and our waiter provided us with a wonderful dining experience. The food was one of the best meals we had on our 5 week trip, the wine was delightful (a red, from the owner's own vineyard) but the service you couldn't fault. Set in a very serene area (I think they were originally the palazzo's stables) I / we highly recommend the experience. I mentioned it was memorable and this is because we purhased a bottle of the red wine we had and carried it all the way to Australia. Also the signed cookbook the owner gave us is another reminder of this experience. Truely a 12 out of 10 rating

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Stuart W

Brisbane, Australia
“A very enjoyable dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband & I had dinner here one wet Sunday night, easily able to get a table without reservation. Our waiter was very friendly and spoke some English. The dining room was very pleasant and we had a table looking outside to the pretty garden. My husband was originally going to order the ravioli entrée until the waiter explained it was quite sweet, pumpkin and some sort of sweet almond mix - not really what he was looking for. When the waiter delivered our entrees he also brought a plate with a piece of the ravioli and two forks, so that we could try it. We were very impressed, both with the ravioli and the gesture. The entrées that we did order were a thick spaghetti served with beans and pancetta and an eggplant parmigiana. Both were very good but we didn’t finish either plate in anticipation of our main course. For our mains, I had veal served with both some polenta and mashed potato (I thought the side dishes were a bit heavy served together) and my husband had lamb served with fresh artichoke and roasted potatoes. We also shared a chocolate pudding served with sabayon for dessert and a glass of Italian dessert wine. When we finished our meal our waiter happily phoned a taxi to drive us back to our hotel out of town. It was a very enjoyable dinner experience.

Visited May 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Traditional sophistication”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

A delightful setting overlooking small peaceful garden. Professional discreet service, selected food from "specials" menu, local delicacies so interesting & well described by knowledgeable waiter. Owner's welcome & farewell showed traditional values are alive and well.

Arezzo, Italy
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

After a 10 day trip around north-east Italy, the dinner here last week was probably the best we had, the tortelli di zucca are to die for!! So much so that I returned and asked the chef how to make it and was generously given the recipe!

Visited November 2011
“Gorgeous Dining Room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had a lovely dinner here in October 2011. When we walked in the first thing my wife said was "I smell white truffles". She was right, they offered them on a simple pasta that night and, although a little mild because it was early in the season, they were a nice bonus for our last night in Italy this trip. Beautiful setting, great artwork on the walls in a very nice room, looking out on a very well-tended and pretty garden courtyard. The service was very professional, although we were not overwhelmed by our entrees (I had the squab which was braised, which apparently is a traditional Mantova style preparation, but squab breast is so much better when cooked medium rare), it was a nice experience. I would return and try it again in a heartbeat, and hopefully order better.

• Visited October 2011