“Oh dear! Apologetic but a total let down!”

Maggiore Discovery Day Tours
Ranked #7 of 9 Tours in Stresa
More attraction details
Owner description: We believe in enjoying and exploring the area that you have holidayed to. So many excursions these days take you away from where you are staying meaning that you miss out on the history, culture and nature which can be found right on your holiday doorstep. Having fallen in love with the lake many summers ago we realised the wealth of exciting places, of beautiful sites and of fascinating history that are only a boat ride away. All you need to do is sit back relax.
Kent, England
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Oh dear! Apologetic but a total let down!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We were staying in Cannero which is an extremely quiet resort on Lake Maggiore so we booked some excursions in advance.
Our first was to Lake Orta and we were due to be picked up at 8.10 in the morning as we were quite a way out of Stressa where the tour normally starts from. We had an early breakfast and i mentioned to reception that we were expecting a taxi and told here where we could be found if it arrived early. Ten minutes later she came with a note saying that Fabri had phoned to say that his driver had had an accident that morning so he would have to cancel our tour. No problem - these things happen.
We had arranged for a taxi through Maggiore Discovery. For the following day to take us into Stressa and Fabri had offered to do it at a very good price - 50% of what it would have cost so we were pleased to get such a discount. The taxi arrive on time the next day and we had no problems with the collection or the return pick up.
We were due to have the second of out pre arranged tours the following day so got up again nice and early and had an early breakfast and were ready waiting outside at our agreed time. We couldn't believe it when the guy from reception came out to tell us that they had phoned again but hung up when he offered to get us to the phone. We gave it another half an hour in case it had been a traffic problem but then gave up waiting. Fabri and I had been communicating by email, text and phone so there was absolutely no excuse for not letting us know what was happening. We had rearranged our first cancelled excursion for the following day but had no desire to be stood up again so i emailed and texted to tell Fabri we were cancelling.
We heard nothing from him for the rest of the day until we were just freshening up before dinner when the phone rang in the room and it was Fabri wanting to apologise in person. We were not ready to go down so we accepted his apology over the phone.
Half an hour later there was a knock on the door and we were given a bottle of Prosecco with a hand written note apologising for all the problems and telling us that the taxi trip into Stressa would not be charged for and that the trip due the following day would be certain to go ahead. He did explain that he had never had to let anybody down like this before and it did come across that he was very distraught that he had let us down so badly. I can only assume that we were the victim of circumstance but we declined his offer for the following day - just in case.
We had intended on this being a really chilled out, relaxing break as I am recovering from some health issues so we weren't too disappointed to cancel the trips out as we just stayed in Cannero and chilled out which was fine.
Let's hope it was just a one off!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Duffer56
Director O, Owner at Maggiore Discovery Day Tours, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Carol.

Thank you for your review. Such a shame we never gotthe chance to meet personally during your stay.
There are a few little details there that I would like to clarify for the benefit of people reading this review.

1) I as never given the choice by reception to talk o you on the day, if I did, I would have certainly not hung up (why would I do such thing, when I actually came personally to see you later on).
During my phone conversation with reception (it was a very rude gentleman who I spoke to, unlike the two very polite ladies that were working on the evening of my visit), I asked 3 times to be put through to you and he declined. It was him who hung up on me. I texted you to inform you of this, while the bus was picking passengers up for the tour, but as it was not mentioned in your review, I can only assume now, that you did not get this message.

2) I asked him to kindly book you both in a taxi to Stresa to join the tour(we were till in time to get you there), as due to the Luino Market taking place that day, the traffic towards Cannero was standing still, and our driver was caught on that traffic. The reception man, shouting at me on the phone, once again refuse to help, which in turn meant we could not get you to join us.

3) I was on that tour, hence why I could not contact you during the day, and why I visited you personally in the evening.

As the comments in here show, we are all about customer satisfaction, and have been delivering unique experiences for a while now.

And I am sorry, we failed to deliver them for you. Your case, as I stated in my note, and you have kindly written here, is an exception and not the norm.
If you ever visit Lake Maggiore again, my offer to you still stands.
Hope you have enjoyed your visit to the Lake, and tat you have a speedy recovery.

Zurich, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tour around the islands and wine tasting”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We contacted Fabri just a few days before arriving in Stresa. He put the perfect little tour together, exactly what we had in mind. We went to see @ dei Pescatori first, than Isola Bella and in the end we had a lovely wine tasting once we got back in Stresa. He gave us some insight into history, let us walk around by ourselves but he was always there to answer any questions. We truly enjoyed the tour and he made our stay in Stresa unforgettable. Thank you again Fabri!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank 905Andrea
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“brilliant day out”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have thanked Fabri personally by email for the trip he organised for us to Oira and Lake Orta. We wanted something different to celebrate our friends 50th birthday and Fabri delivered. Picked up prompt from the hotel and taken to Oira where he relayed the story of the rebuilding of part of the village by students from Oregan State University. The wine and cheese tasting was a great experience that we also shared with some American travellers; great company. The Garrone family are passionate about there wines and local produce.
Lake Orta is a great trip; the views from the best vantage points were breath-taking. Like other reviewers, to tell too much would only spoil the surprise.
Thanks again Fabri for a truly unique experience.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Paul O
Carlsbad, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The California Tour Group”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were a group of 12 people from the San Diego area who spent 5 days in Stresa. Dana Kaplan from Stresa, provided us with Fabri's information and we booked him to pick our group up in Milan upon arrival. Then he took up to see the Last Supper, which we purchased our ticket's months in advance. Then he drove us up to Stresa where we spent 5 magical days at the Hotel La Palma. On our third day there he drove us up to Val Fomazza, where we toured the Italian village that had been built in the 14th century and was destroyed by an earthquake. Then some engineering students from Oregon rebuilt the city using it's original stones and the style that was used hundreds of years ago. While we were there we had the pleasure of wine and cheese tasting.

On our 4th day he took us to Lago Como and we took a wonderful boat trip from Como to Bellagio and we even got to see George Clooney's home that is now for sale.

On our last day he picked us up at the hotel and drove us to Geneva where we met up with the Avalon Waterways group for our river boat cruise.

We are looking forward to working with him again in 2014. He was so kind, knowledgeable and helpful....we wanted to take him back to America with us!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Valerie92008
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fabri Oira Tour Fabulous”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We travelled with Fabri to the village of Oira which is at the beginning of Val Formazza. This small town is very old, very typical of the valley, but has had a portion restored by students from the University of Oregon over the past 20 years or so. By restore it means that they built over the landslide area that had buried part of the town hundreds of years ago. Each house is built stone by stone. Truly amazing. Never knew students could work this hard without a student center and a cafeteria, among other things. Fabri arranged a tasting of wine, cheese and sausage at the town vintner and a tour of the town cheesemaking place. All a fabulous trip from Fabri.

Visited August 2013