“Wonderful hotel”

La Palma Hotel
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Stresa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed 5 days at the La Palma and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Yes it is a bit old fashioned but in no way pretentious and we felt comfortable and relaxed from start to finish. All the staff were friendly and welcoming and helpful with the usual touristy requests.
We had a lovely side room on the 4th floor which gave us great views over the lake and Isola Bella. There was even a multitude of English TV channels for those who look for this in a hotel.
Wi-Fi was not free so we didn't bother to pay but generally the room amenities were fine and included robes and slippers.
Everywhere was spotless and well maintained with lovely gardens and a private pool across the road with an attendant on duty.
The breakfast room was excellent, looking out through panoramic windows to the lake. Good service and a wide choice made for a great start to the day.
The jewel in the crown, however, is the sky bar. I can only agree with other comments on how wonderful a setting it is for a lazy rest or lunch during the day and a relaxing drink with nibbles in the evening. Just fantastic views all round, so calm and peaceful.
We stayed at the end of August so maybe just out of the peak season but we were surprised by how quiet things were in and around the hotel and Stresa itself.
This is not a cheap hotel but certainly good value for money and is highly recommended.
Staying in Stresa offers easy access to the various boat trips available and also to the railway station and local buses. All within a few minutes walk from the hotel.
We would certainly return to this hotel if visiting the area again. Many thanks to all the staff for making our holiday very special!

Room Tip: View from the side lake view rooms is great as long as you are on a higher floor ( 4th or above). No...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peterwilliam_8
Write a ReviewReviews (1,380)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and just loved this hotel ŵith it's amazing sky bar, which is just as the website depicts. We spent an hour or so up there every night just taking in the views with a glass of chilled wine, what more could you ask for? My only criticism of this hotel would be that the waiting staff who look after the sky bar are not always as quick to notice you've arrived as they could be, but when you're on holiday and looking out over the lake and the islands on a beautiful night perhaps there is no real need to rush! Well done La Palma for providing something very special and for making our trip one of the best.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Having visited the Italian lakes for many years we find Stresa takes a lot of beating and staying at La Palma for the fifth time for seven nights mid-August we again were not disappointed. Over the years this hotel we find has maintained its standards with improvements like the roof facilities. The service remains excellent and the choice at dinner wide ranging enough to satisfy most. This hotel works well at all levels.
Travelling by car the parking facilities on the adjacent plot are very convenient. Having stayed in both front view and side view rooms, the side view rooms (particularly on the upper floors) being cheaper are good value with views to the north.

Room Tip: For value accept a side view room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edwin75
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went for drinks at the rooftop bar one evening, had a great experience, the views, the breeze, the service everything was worth every penny! The rooftop design is modern Dubai style with the seats and fixtures but the hotel is traditional Italian style so you get the best of both worlds :) We had wine as we listened to chill music, I loved everything about it. The rooftop is open to all and it has a swimming pool but I am not sure if the pool open to all or just residents. Next time I’ll be in Stresa I hope to sleep at La Palma

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights,should have been 2 but enjoyed it so much,we stayed another night.The views from the hotel are stunning,we had a side room,but still had views to the lake which was a bonus,on the second floor.The room was very clean and maid service every day,the staff are wonderful and so helpful,nothing was a bother and a smile to go with it,the sky terrace is amazing I did not want to leave it,sun beds so comfortable and table service,for drinks and food.what a perfect setting also in the evening for a cocktail,and so relaxing.The breakfast was superb,and great choices,the dinner is a set menu at 30 euros for 3 courses and also lovely food.Thank you for a memorable stay,I hope to return some time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Lovely stay at La Palma hotel.. eventually. The room we were initially given was not the one I booked especially for my 40th birthday (at the back on a sude road over looking the car park). After waiting over an hour for the manager to arrive he made excuses about hotel being full and how he would look into getting us another room the next day. My husband complained then after me and eventually we were given a nice side lake view. However, this was not before conversations were openly heard between receptionist and manager about how we had booked through 'Expedia' and we didnt want to pay a supplement!!! I wasn't aware booking via Expedia meant we should be given an inferior service.

The receptionist was helpful in the end did her best to help us find the room we had paid for that day, perhaps after seeing how unhappy I was.

In the week sadly one of the cleaners ruined my favourite dress with bleach after overly cleaning the bathroom - I had unwittingly use the loo and found my black dress I was wearing ended up ruined with bleach on the skirt and on the back of the top I was wearing (from sitting on the loo). The staff on reception seemed confused and a little stern but kindly took a discount off of our bill after much discussion, although my best dress was ruined and it can't be replaced.

The breakfast in hotel is lovely but waiting staff seem miserable and always in a rush - a smile wouldn't have gone a miss. The sky bar is fantastic, but prices could be a little cheaper - 25 Euros for a bottle of prosecco which I also saw for 3 Euro at the local Penny Market supermarket, and frankly tasted cheap wasn't what I expected, especially as the hotel seems to give the appearance of luxury.

The pool in the Sky Bar looks welcoming but its not actually a pool but a large rectangular jacuzzi - the website photos carefully are very clever at making it look bigger. The hotels pool is across the road, we never used it but it looked lovely. Sitting in the sky bar at night next to the pool is obviously what you pay for.

What I liked?
Position, Sky bar, lovely room (eventually), clean and amazing breakfast.

What would have helped?
Happier & more personable staff. Tea and coffee facilities in bedrooms. Sky bar was taken over by loud young Canadians most nights playing music and taking their tops off (men).

What's close to the hotel?
Lovely lake, beautiful walks and boat rides, near to the train station and Borromeo Islands with trips out to the island every 30 minutes. If you want a nice reasonable meal and are a youngish couple (or young 40 year old like me), head to the Bierria bar in Stresa at the far end of town. You can eat there quite late at a reasonable price (stuff like burgers and paninis) and with draught beer and nice atmosphere/music.

I would go back but I think I'd probably book a cheaper room out of the tourist season, and not the lake side superior room we had initially paid for, as it seems you don't always get what you pay for - not without complaining anyway and we could have done without this as it involved a lot of waiting around and embarrassment on our first day.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank 40raen
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We upgraded our room on arrival to a lake view room and were blown away by the views from our 4th floor balcony. We stayed for four nights. The room was very comfortable and cleaned daily. The hotel is quiet and very relaxing. The popular Sky Bar was a good place to start and finish the evening. The hotel is well situated with the town and ferry pier within easy access. The breakfast was very good indeed with the best scrambled egg I have tasted in ages. The only downside to the breakfast was the very slow toaster which tended to create a queue! Staff were very friendly and helpful. Will certainly stay here again when we decide to go back to Stresa.

Room Tip: Lake facing rooms have stunning views
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends