“excellent”

Hotel Residence La Luna Nel Porto
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Stresa
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Stay in room 106
Fantastic views overlooking the lake. The large terrace had sun loungers and table and chairs.The lounge and bedroom and bathroom where superb. Great location minutes to the lake ferrys and restaurants (recommend il vicoletto, taverna del pappagallo).Breakfast was served outside, adequate. All the staff we very helpful
We used the bus service from stresa to the airport the reception made the booking the day before. Better option than the train if the times link up
We used the bus then train on our arrival from the airport.
beware of tha taxi fares one taxi driver quoted 37euro to the train station another quoted 20 euro 10 minutes away.The bus fare was 1.50euro each. the taxi fare from Stresa station to the hotel 10euro less than five minutes.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 3, 2009

This was our first trip to Italy and the lakes and were immediately welcomed at La Luna. We arrived at 11.30am and knew we were too early for check in (3pm) but thought we could just leave our bags. We were told it was too early but then given a great brief guide around Stresa and provided with lots of maps, hints and tips about Stresa. Our lovely receptionist then told us our room was ready which was great. We had 207 which has a side balcony which did us for a 2 night stay. The room was very clean and spacious, the bathroom prestine with shower, WC and bidet (no bath, but again for 2 nights not a huge problem for us). Hotel has a great location at the end of the main road, but near the ferry port and 5 mins from the square with all the bars and restuarants, 15 mins from train station.
Buffet breakfast was fine with cereals, meats and cheese and of course great bread and coffee.
Great places to eat and drink are Al Buscion (run by Massimo and sister Barbara, really friendly wine bar, with beers and great antipasta), there's a great pizzeria/pasta restuarant next to the Black Cat bar on the same street as Al Buscion. Avoid eating establishments right on the square as they are tourist traps and not 100% authentic.
One thing I must tell everyone is to ensure you all have a European Health card with you. My partner had a big fall on a day trip to Locarno in Switzerland hitting his head on a wall needing 16 stitches. We paid nothing as this card gives you free healthcare - thank god we had them. I had to leave him in hospital and went back to La Luna where the staff were absolutely amazing in helping me change flights etc - Simona was brilliant as at 10pm at night I was in a bit of a state and she sorted everything for me - on my own having to travel between Italy and Switzerland with all the luggage etc wasn't fun. The next day I got the 3 hr train back to the hospital and Simone rang me to let me know she had faxed all the new flight info to my hotel and to ask how my partner was. I was so impressed that as soon as he was released from hospital 2 days later we made sure we went back to La Luna for our last night, thank you gift with us to show our appreciation. They were all really concerned about us and I felt we had to return to thank them. I have never experienced such great service as they reallly went beyond what I expected, even texting me when we got back to the UK to see how we were!
Overall, Stresa is a lovely town, really friendly people who genuinely care about their customers and La Luna I would absolutely definitely return to.

4  Thank boo1902
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Stresa is an upscale, expensive place for a holiday but with this hotel you can stay for a week without worry -- and love your surroundings. Immaculately clean rooms which are really suites, incredibly helpful staff, wonderful location, and kitchen facilities for less that £150 per night is too good to miss. For one night or for a week, this is definitely a find.

3  Thank Rjh74
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Exceptionally helpful and friendly staff in this family-run hotel. Their recommendations for restaurants and excursions were spot on. Location is very central to shops and restaurants. Rooms were very clean and comfortable, bathroom looked new. Buffet breakfasts plentiful and the kitchen corner perfect if you wanted to self-cater - we didn't. If any criticism, there were a lot of rules and regulations, which didn't bother us but might be a bit off-putting at the outset.

2  Thank Mollymaggoo
Reviewed September 27, 2008

stayed here for a week in late September and cannot praise the hotel enough. We had ground floor apartment which was huge with amazing views over the lake. Everything VERY clean and tidy, place looks like a showhome and I made my husband clear up after himself incase we made a mess! Only downside for us was bath only with shower attachment - girls a bit tricky to wash your hair without soaking the floor! Found little kitchenette a great bonus and ate in one night having bought fantastic fresh food from local supermarket. The staff here were really excellent and went out of their way several times to take care of us. Little things like putting the dishwasher on after we went out and making sure the heating was on for us coming in at night (it was VERY chilly in the evenings). They will tell you where to eat/shop, how to get around, what to see and do - nothing was too much trouble and they all spoke perfect English (unlike our Italiano). Stresa is the perfect location to explore the rest of the Lake and the hotel is easy to find on the main street right over from the ferry landing. All shops/restaurants easy to reach and lots of nice bars en route for the final drink of the night. We booked based on other tripadvisor reviews and although a little over what we planned to pay was worth every penny.

3  Thank corsie
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I booked this studio earlier in the year on the strength of the reviews on TripAdvisor.
Had I known that we were going to be at the back of the property when I booked, I would have chosen an apartment rather than the studio, which was on the 2nd floor. (I think the apartments are all at the front and the studios at the back.)
The main room was spacious and beautifully decorated, but the covered terrace at the side was quite small compared to the outside space other rooms had, and was overlooked at the back and the side so I didn't feel like sitting out much. There are only sheer curtains so if you put the lights on in the evenings or a dull day then you have to close the shutters as people can see in, but that's OK - it's Italy, you use the shutters.
The kitchen corner was good - two ring hob, microwave with grill, sink and dishwasher. Bear in mind there is no kettle or toaster, but you can use the grill in the microwave for toast. We didn't bother with the hotel breakfast (it did look nice though) as we thought 10 euros a little steep. My husband likes to cook so we ate in a few nights.
Bed was fine to sleep on, plenty of storage space - the wardrobe was out in the little hall area and the hanging area was so high they provided a window pole to get the hangers up and down (it didn't work and I resorted to standing on a chair)
Bathroom was OK - no bath (which I love) only a leaky shower cubicle (but I suppose more eco-friendly). The toilet was wall hung and very high(!)
So all in all good, not great and I probably wouldn't rebook - originally I had to choose between a large apartment set back from the lake for 350 euros and La Luna Nel Porto just by the lake but costing considerably more - I probably should have gone for the lake view at a distance.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Pinkypetula
Reviewed September 17, 2008

This hotel is fantastic. The rooms are like mini apartments with their own kitchen which is very useful. We had a lovely little terrace overlooking the lake where we could eat breakfast. Breakfast is also available at the hotel which is very relaxed and again can be eaten on the terrace. The hotel is centrally located near the ferry dock and the three Borromean Islands. There is plenty to do in Stresa and the surrounding area. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definately recommend it.

2  Thank BecMat24