“Superb accommodation in a great location!”

Hotel Residence La Luna Nel Porto
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Stresa
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“Superb accommodation in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at La Luna Nel Porto. The owner, Marisa, and her excellent staff are to be congratulated on providing such a high level of service. The suites are beautifully decorated in a modern way and equipped with all that you might need for a pleasant and comfortable holiday. It is the quietest hotel we have ever stayed in and we slept so well. We haven't self-catered since our children were young but we really enjoyed making our own breakfast and eating it sitting on "our" terrace in the sun each morning watching the boats. The residence is located very near to the boat jetty and just a few minutes walk on the level lake front pavement from the bus stop. Marisa arranged our Alibus transfer from Milan Malpensa airport (tickets €9 each) which took about 40 minutes. We were really lucky and had beautiful weather which made exploring the attractions of the lake all the more enjoyable. One of the best trips was taking the boat to Intra then changing to the ferry across to Laveno. The funicular there takes you up to Sasso di Ferro for a magical panoramic view of the lake. There is a good restaurant with tables both inside and on the terrace. There is also a snack bar. We thought this was a much better trip than the Mottarone cable car in Stresa.

Room Tip: The lake-view suites at the front are excellent
4 Thank Jackie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

We spent our first 5 days of our 2 week stay in the Italian Lake district In Stresa at La Luna nel Porto. The staff, especially Chiara, were very helpful and gracious. The breakfast was adequate, 10 euro extra per person, elsewhere it was included. Our room was quite spacious with a grassy terrace and with a Lovely view of the lake. The Internet access was quite good and appreciated as I needed to update our photos and genealogy for my search for my ancestors. The staff was quite helpful in communicating with mi cugini (cousins). The location in town was extremely convenient to restaurants and to the ferry service.

2 Thank Cal_Travel_Lover
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

We had a wonderful suite with a gorgeous lake view with small balconies in the living room and bedroom. Our bathroom was very large and roomy. We didn't use the kitchenette since we stayed only 2 nights. The staff was very helpful; they even contacted us ahead of our trip to see if we needed transportation reservation to or from the airport. They made our reservation to airport on Alibus which was good, on -time and very reasonable (9 euro each). Stresa on Lake Maggiore is a good location for the start or end of a trip since Milan's airport is about 45 minutes away. We also visited Lake Como and stayed in Bellagio which was very nice. I think Lake Maggiore is a bit nicer and quieter but still has things to do and many restaurants. We took the ferry boat to the Borromeo Palace on Isola Bella. The house and gardens are very beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
2 Thank VTHokie81
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

Beautiful hotel, beautiful view, friendly and helpful staff.....what more can I say. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phylo82
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

Almost everything has been said by others, so I can only describe how the wonderful staff handeled a mishap which I went through: unfortunately, on my way to the wharf I tripped and fell , my face bleeding
I rushed to the hotel - which was just a minute away. The entire staff immediately came to treat me in a very proffesional way and did everything to make me feel comfortable. I was worried that I might need stiches and they did not manage to get the doctor (it was on the weekend). So when the girl in the reception ended her shift, on her own time she drove me in her private car to a pharmacy she new was open , explained and translated what I said on the situation, and after I was treated there drove me back to the hotel before she went home.
Dovk, Jerusalem

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Dovk
Columbia MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

This is a very nice hotel with an excellent location within a stone's throw of the ferry and the tiny "centro". The suite we had was enormous, with a large grassy terrace overlooking the lake. Our bathroom was small and a bit cramped but otherwise functional. The views are spectacular, although most days we were there we had a mist which obscured the opposite shore some days and on the best days, some of the distant mountains. It was sunny behind the mist so it ended up being very romantic in a way, but the photos didn't come out as well as they should have. Stresa is TINY... a handful of good restaurants and a few hotels, not much really here. However it is a wonderful base for exploring Lake Maggiore and the islands. Isola Bella was our very favorite, although they all had their charm and should not be missed.

We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning which was probably not worth the 20 euros (for 2 of us) but it was fine, good pastries, fresh fruit and the best yogurt I ever tasted (those Swiss know how to make yogurt better than anyone!).

What makes La Luna nel Porto special is the wonderful staff. We really enjoyed our conversations with everyone; they had great recommendations and were always interested in our experiences.

We would stay at La Luna nel Porto again in a flash, and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveladdiction
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Again this hotel was chosen primarily due to previous Trip Advisor reviews.

We booked directly with the Hotel via email and whilst we were in Australia with a 10 hour time difference the service, response and interaction could not be faulted. Once the booking was confirmed several months out further appropriate communication followed in terms of credit card deposit etc.

This was the last hotel of our 3 week European Holiday and we chose Stresa for 4 days to unwind and relax after previous visist to London, Paris, Seville and Rome and also with rail access up into Switzerland.

We arrived at Stresa railway station on a cold and wet evening and had originally thought we could walk to the Hotel but due to the weather we caught a Taxi (a brisk 10-15 min stroll in normal circumstances but don't consider with luggage - catch a taxi). We were greeted warmily and were advised of any required information relative to our room. We were then taken to our suite (101) and it was simply stunning. Large room (the size of a 2 bedroom London apartment), well decorated, lovely furnishings, large king bed, patio and garden and what we found out thye next day was a view over Lake maggiore to die for.

Even if the staff were of normal standard then this would still be a stand out hotel however in my mind the staff were actually the highlight with assistance and advice in relation to internet access, attractions and transport, laundry, I cannot praise enough. On the first morning I requested a glass of ice with my breakfast, the next day when I came to breakfast (and a different person was working) the first thing they did was organise a glass of ice without my requesting. One of the evening there was an issue with the town water supply and we were furnished with bottled water and a smile and told that the issue would be fixed by the council around midnight.

This was easily the best hotel that we stayed in whilst in Europe (and we stayed in some truly lovely hotels) and the price almost half of what we paid in Paris and Rome. I was staying anywhere in the Italian Lakes district I would be staying in Stresa and I would not even consider thinking about staying at any other Hotel.

PS I personally thought the price was too cheap relative to the experience

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple