WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Stresa
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“italy May 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

First class service from very friendly staff, brilliant room overlooking a beautiful lake good food limited choice of menu , great pool and bar area. location very central with easy access to town , cable cars boats etc.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Wendy L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed in this hotel as a family of four with my wife's parents last summer (July 2013) as part of a Riviera Travel tour and had a fantastic time.

The staff were excellent - nothing was too much trouble for them - and the food and service at mealtimes was excellent.

Our rooms overlooked the rear of the hotel and although we missed out on the view of the lake, we did get the afternoon sun which was great for sitting out on the balcony.

We'd readily recommend this hotel to anyone considering a visit to Lake Maggiore and Stresa.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the rear (swimming pool side) get the afternoon sun and a view of the hillside.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank GraniteCity86
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Astoria between 6th-12th April 2014. We did not realise that this was literally before Stresa's summer season and therefore some places within the area were not yet open/available. However there was still plenty to do.

The staff at the hotel couldn't have been more helpful and polite during our visit- especially the barman, Gian-Luca, who was constantly providing useful tips/recommendations for our visit as well as being a lovely man to have met. The bellboy who's name we didn't catch was also extremely polite and was there to take our luggage as soon as we parked behind the hotel.

The hotel itself was wonderful and extremely clean. The room we stayed in (Superior double room) was a little dated and could do with a slight make over (e.g. New carpet and a newer bed, which was quite hard) the shower door had a constant leak when in use and so we had to place a lot of towels down. However this didn't affect or ruin our stay.
We paid for a 'garden view' but due to our room being on the side of the hotel, we were lucky to have a beautiful view of the lake as well.

Overall, we would defiantly return to Stresa and would highly consider staying at Hotel Astoria again. Very pleased!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lea-Tony
gullane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Excellent as part of a Riviera holiday package.
Very good staff, good location and good value for money with all our tours included.
The lake view rooms are rather small but very well appointed.
Easy access to Stesa which is a super location and some great shopping.
45 minutes from Milan airport.
Good location too for getting to Switzerland, lake Como and lake Orta.

Room Tip: The lake view rooms are worth the extra.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank scotland26
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here during September and were well satisfied with the hotel. We had a first floor, lake view room (front corner) with a more than adequate balcony. The room was of a suitable size with a reasonably sized bathroom. Being an end room the bathroom had a side window to give some natural ventilation, Everything was kept clean and tidy. We both felt that the food in the hotel was very good and the waiters were always pleasant and helpful. The Sunday buffet meal was excellent, but not so good for the waistline. Some comment on the breakfast being the same each day, but the choice was adequate. Cant comment on the pool as we didn't use it due to the temperature. Plenty to do in and around Stresa to keep us occupied for 2 weeks. Hope to come again in a few years and would not hesitate to use this hotel again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank doddy1940
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Having previously stayed at the Regina Palace next door, we decided that we would like to try this hotel. Having read some 'not too encouraging reviews' about the Astoria, we began to wonder about that decision. I have no doubt that we made the right choice. The hotel was clean and well looked after. Our room was a 'lake view' and the balcony was large enough to use the two chairs and small table to good effect in the evenings before going down for dinner. The food, although a slightly limited menu for the tour group, was well presented and tasty. We enjoyed one meal of veal particularly, and we have not eaten better in far more expensive hotels in Italy. The staff were welcoming and helpful and encouraged me to try out my limited Italian. The weather wasn't always the best that we could have wished for, but put on a raincoat and go and visit the gardens on Isola Madre, you won't be disappointed. All in all, a good well run hotel in a beautiful position overlooking the lake. We will definitely use this hotel again, perhaps in May to see the Azaleas and the other flora at their best. Another Riviera Travel success.

Room Tip: A lake view is a must in this part of the world.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank Les W
N Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I travelled with a coach party recently and arrived rather tired to this lovely hotel. I was allocated my room and immediately taken by a porter to the annex, climbing 4 flights of marble steps to reach the room.It was a very adequate room with a tiny little balcony overlooking the back of hotel with a limited view of the pool.I did not like being isolated from the main group of our party. I later discovered the single travellers were placed in the annex.this is not fair as we pay supplements as single travellers.
Before dinner I spoke to the duty officer at the desk and told him I was not happy being in the annex away from the main party.He told me he had nothing to do with this problem and advised I spoke to the owner manager at 830 pm.I left the dining room and spoke to the manager who listened and said he would relocate me the next day when rooms were vacated.
I packed my bags and they were moved to my new room 118 was the room I was given next day. We had been out all day so I had a very short time only to assess the room before dinner.I discovered over dinner that this room 118 had been rejected by one of my party because it was so unsatisfactory.
The plumbing was awful,no shower curtain or screen was at the bath so the floor flooded and was dangerous ,in spite of me placing a towel on the floor to catch some of the water.
I spoke to the manager again next morning and told him how awful this room was ,how noisy the plumbing was,a constant hum from heating or aircon for the hotel, not the room.There was no balcony for the room but a passage way which could be used by anyone.He said he would move me again but I decided not to bother for just one more night.
This hotel is beautifully furnished, location is delightful and the food was reasonable with the most fabulous buffet served on the Sunday evening.The staff were very pleasant and the manager was understanding and pleasant.I would love to return and enjoy a lovely room with a view of the beautiful lake as I was disappointed with accommodation in not one but two different rooms.
Stresa is a lovey area and the hotel is in a delightful location.
I hope the hotel will take comments from guests as helpful.I would love to return to Astoria hotel.

Room Tip: Do not go to 118 or annex if a solo traveller
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo