Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,821 results
All reviews riviera travel indoor pool beautiful hotel lake maggiore small balcony head waiter steam room dining rooms salad bar garden view waiting staff old style town centre scrambled eggs yogurt mauro chandeliers
Selected filters
Reviewed June 10, 2015

My husband and I stayed at Regina Palace for 5 days. We found it to be a fantastic experience and great value for the money. We have made 28 trips to Italy, usually 3 weeks to a month in duration, and at various times of the year. I will say that the decor both inside and out was absolutely stunning. The staff was impeccably dressed in a formal style, with ironed and starched jackets and shirts. There was no area that wasn't in perfect condition. It was both clean as well as opulently decorated in every corner of the hotel.

You can eat your meals either inside or outside facing the gorgeous views of the lake and front gardens. Every table has a great view so there is nobody vying for the best table. The food was decent but definitely not over the top fabulous by Italian standards. But they did have a huge selection for breakfast, including delicious scrambled eggs, sausage and all the other usual European items, such as fresh and delicious brioche filled with various creams, delicious organic, gluten free, and vegan packaged items, fresh grapefruit and orange juice, fresh fruit, yogurts, etc. The cheeses were fresh toma from the region. Every food restriction and desire was accounted for.

They also had some fun little extras at the hotel: every day there would be a different classic car or expensive car displayed outside in the courtyard. One day it was a peach colored Fiat Cinquecento, and another day it was a red Ferrari Testarossa ! In the evening the outside bar is lit with various colors of gently changing lighting, giving a tasteful festive, though not garish feel to the evening sky. They also had live music,which I didn't care for. The taped music was lovely - a sort of easy listening jazz with an excellent sound system. The nice man playing the music was really enjoying himself but the selections seemed to be a lot of German sounding, old fashioned polka style selections. Perhaps this is due to the large number of German senior tourists they had there at the time.

Our room was a standard room overlooking the lake, which was fabulous. The balcony was very small, but for the price it was fine. The view was breathtaking. The bathroom was a decent size with a shower/bathtub combination. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever stayed in while in Italy - ever !

We were there during a very hot period and the air conditioning worked very well.

I am going to contradict previous statements of others about the rude staff. The staff was polite, pleasant and highly professional. Every need was met gladly. I guess I was prepared for the experience because we have stayed in many types of hotels, apartments and B & B's over the years. At large, elegant hotels, you should not be expecting the warm, fuzzy, gushing emotion and warmth or intimacy that you experience in small hotels or family run businesses in other parts of Italy.In addition, this is Northern Italy, where the people are influenced by a more German and Swiss culture. Indeed this is a much different experience than a small hotel or one in Southern Italy.The positive side is that everything is run run like a finely oiled machine. On the downside, your waiter will not stand at your table for half an hour conversing with you because he has served 400 people that day. Everyone was polite, efficient, professional and accommodating. I never felt rushed, and due to habit, I eat painfully slow. I found them to be very nice with one exception, which was the head waiter who seemed a bit grumpy. In fact, after a bad, rainy weather forecast, we awakened to a clear, sunny , temperate day. After greeting the waiter with "Buon giorno", he replied with a smile in a warm fashion, "yes indeed this is a very beautiful day today, Senora". I said, "yes because we finally have cooler weather, beautiful sunshine and not the rain we were all expecting", and then he pinched my cheek(on my face) ! We both then laughed . This is not the sign of a rude and cold staff ! (He was clearly 20 years younger than me, so he wasn't flirting).

The pool and back gardens were lovely with a nice snack bar, though we didn't make use of either of them. The spa downstairs also looked terrific. The website photos are very accurate. We did not make use of the spa either.

In short, I would definitely go back to this hotel again, only next time I would plan to stay longer so I could have the time to enjoy all of the facilities!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank m_kandl
Reviewed June 7, 2015

This is a grand "belle époque" hotel with very impressive public rooms. Unfortunately not all aspects live up to this grand style.

The room was furnished and decorated in period style but the air conditioning was ineffective. The bathroom needed refurbishing: sink and bath plugs failed to stop water running out, and the shower over the bath was difficult to stand under and a slipping hazard. The balcony needed painting and had a poor, restricted, outlook.

But the worst aspect was the food. Seriously under-cooked "boiled" eggs were served one morning at breakfast. Dinner was bland and lacked flavour most evenings. Riviera Travel customers need to be aware they will be offered a very limited menu if they choose this hotel with a choice of soup or pasta for starters and one meat or one fish dish for mains. The tour operator said it was a low budget meal to make up for a high cost hotel. My advice is choose one of the other hotels providing good food and a good hotel.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank TowerTwo
Reviewed June 4, 2015 via mobile

The hotel looks impressive. The common areas are nicely decorated and the view of the lake is great. This was the nice part.
The bad parts are outdated rooms, not very clean and disappointing food. The service is slow and most of the hotel personnel is rude.
All in all not the best place to spend one's money and free time.

Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank SGVSofia
Reviewed May 29, 2015

We had a wonderful two night stay at the Regina Palace! Our room was very comfortable, spacious and immaculate! Lake view was amazing and the grounds are manicured beautifully!
Front desk staff was lovely accept for one younger, dark haired girl ( I wish we had gotten her name). She was rude to us on more then one occasion!
Weather was unseasonably warm, so it would have been nice to have air conditioning option, as terrace door did not give us much of a breeze.
Breakfast was ample and delicious with many great choices, however waitstaff could be a bit friendlier! They seemed to have their favorite guests who they were friendly with, but hardly gave the rest of us the time of day! I sat for fifteen minutes one morning and finally had to ask one of the waiters if I could get some coffee!
Location was great, walking distance to town and ferry ticket office.
We had a wonderful stay and would definitely return!

Room tip: Lake view for sure!
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank CTGUY799
Reviewed May 29, 2015

We stayed at the Regina Palace for 7 nights on a Riviera Travel Italian Lakes holiday. We found the past reviews on TA to be pretty accurate with the hotel offering excellent location, beautiful grounds, grand decor, good breakfast and a great Sporting Club / indoor pool / Spa.

A couple of pieces of advice:
1. If the air conditioning is not working in your room ask reception to turn it on. Within 15 minutes our's was then in full flow.
2. In previous reviews people have complained about the two small lifts. These lifts are small but there is a very large lift just round the corner from the rear entrance that serves the car / coach parking area. This is the lift that you have to use to access the Sporting Club.

In the restaurant if you are lucky enough to have Mauro as your Head Waiter then you are in for a great time. A consummate professional added with wonderful humour made our stay complete.

Recommended

Room tip: The room's on 4th floor with lake view are best
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple