“Very good food let down by a lack of atmosphere and wine choice”

Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees & Spa
Ranked #19 of 113 Restaurants in Stresa
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Restaurant of the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees - Elegant - Gluten free - Reservations welcome.
London
“Very good food let down by a lack of atmosphere and wine choice”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I was staying at the hotel and decided to try the well rated restaurant out. The food was veery good. It was delicious and well presented. I had the melon and ham as an antipasti - probably the best presentation I have seen like this. Then I had an amazing blueberry risotto. Yes I said bleuberry. It was spectacular. Then as a secondi I had the lamb (which if did not have a prima you would have found a little small).

The gelato was ok - didn't feel anything like the other courses but still didn't stop me giving it 5 for food.

Overall though I marked the restaurant down to a 4 on two fronts. First the restaurant is big and open. It doesn't really have any atmosphere - style yes, but it felt a little cavernous. Second, for such a good food selection I was quite disappointed with the wine choice. Only a house red by the glass and little choice even of half bottles. I'm used to north american wider choices and travelling alone, a full bottle is a bit much when I'm driving the newzxt day (I'm on a motoring holiday). It would be easy to fix this!

1 Thank thefrequenttraveller

• Hebrew first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“The taste at La Terrazza was as delightful as the view”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

During free time on a Trafalgar tour, my wife and I had lunch on the terrace of the Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees in Stresa. The hotel was so elegant-looking that we felt physically drawn into La Terrazza through the beautiful grounds, the opulent lobby, and the ornate halls. We were not disappointed. The lunch was just as delightful as the view from the terrace of the manicured garden and Lake Maggiore. We started with mushroom risotto that was flavored with blueberries. Our main course was veal with peach and foi gras. For dessert we had marinated figs with vanilla ice cream. We were unable to find a sweet white wine on the extensive wine menu, but we realize that the hotel’s guests generally prefer dry wines. Service was prompt and friendly, and the wash rooms were memorably ornate. We felt that the lunch was a very good value considering the service, quality, taste, and surroundings.

• Visited August 2011
8 Thank Staidthere
Sugar Land Texas
“Excellent Splurge Restaurant”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

This is an expensive place but the service and food were top rate. My antipasto was a superb and beautifully presented ravioli stuffed with lobster, asparagus, and onions. I followed that by some lamb saddles. My wife went with a lobster cocktail followed by a steak. She liked hers but considered my choices to be better. Both of our desserts were first rate. Of course, the view from the terrace looking out at the lakes and mountains was spectacular.

• Visited May 2011