I can only begin to explain just how disappointed we are with our stay here. Firstly, but not at all the most important factor for us having to leave early from our reservation, was the miscommunication which occurred when renting the "villa". As per advertised on holiday lettings.co.uk, and after email conversations, we (the paying guests) were led to believe that we had rented the entire "villa". Typically this would involve the guests having full access and "sole" use of the rooms within the villa - kitchen, bathroom, living room. however, upon arrival we were told this was not the case and we had only booked bedrooms.
After some discussion and negotiation with the owner, it seemed that we had been able to reach a good compromise, and he would allow us access to the kitchen while he was in the property - so all times but not Friday as you were out on that day. We felt this would be a good compromise on both parts - Despite us being the ones paying money for this, we shouldn't have actually had to make any compromise whatsoever.
From then, we even offered a cooked meal for him, with wine, which he happily took.
Other points to note, safety being the most important:
Safety for the children. None. This is not a child friendly house. No understanding of the needs of children of any age. Owner kept interrupting our Italian speaking member when she was trying to talk with her child. He would not allow a dim light to be left on in the corridor for feeding the baby in the nights, instead he expect a bright light to be turned on in the bedroom only when the baby wakes up. Totally unrealistic way to expect a baby to be treated. He were loud around the sleeping baby, even when asked politely to be a little more understanding of the baby's needs for sleep - a basic human requirement.
The cot they gave us was not safe, and is is a hazard. A baby rolling over in that cot could catch and break it's arm easily in such a set up. Even worse, they are at risk of becoming trapped in between the mattress and ropes and suffocating. Luckily, and not wanting to make a fuss, we just used our safe travel cot which we had brought with us. Therefore not involving the owner further in this case.
The bunk beds to be used for a 5 and 3 year old. No railing to stop the child falling out from the bottom bunk. Limited railing for the top. We asked for an alternative if possible, and if we could put the mattress on the floor... owner just said this is not possible. His only solution was a duvet for the floor to catch the child when he falls. He could still break an arm, and would definitely be woken with a shock if this was to be used as a solution.
Instead, we took the bench from the veranda to allow for the bench back to be a used as a protective side for the bottom bunk. No harm done to child nor to the bench. Owner's response was to shout rudely at us and demand that the bench is replaced again leaving the child unprotected.
The information given upon check in:
Hotel guests must report to the police. No information about where to recycle, or things to do in the local area. He did however inform us that he would not be doing this (renting the rooms) if he were able to get a job. But as he needs the money, so does this only because has have to. Again, telling us that we are actually not welcome, nor are any of his guests.
It seems that this place is more like a very bottom of the scale youth hostel. The bins in the rooms were never emptied by the owner, nor was there a daily clean carried out. It seems that the paying guest is the one responsible for all this - but they have to work out where the local bin collection is first on their own.
Never once was an offer of compensation given from his side! Even after such an appalling stay. We were always expected to offer the compromise.
The wife seemed very ashamed that we had left early, and I am sure she would have helped in all situations a great deal more. But unfortunately, she was only available on the Saturday.
If they would like to have the house as a successful going concern, I would recommend that he addresses his manner with guests, the way that the house is advertised (Standard Hostel - not Villa), and safety issues within the house. This is not for families, nor it seems, for any people.
Finally, before our stay the owner gave us twice the wrong bank details to pay the deposit. Having tried to pay the deposit to you twice, the bank rejected this and we were charged an additional 40 Euros, taking our terrible, unwelcome 3 night stay to a total 640 Euros plus paying for his dinner one night.
Overall, a very disappointing stay.
To note - even follow up communication only came back from the owner in a negative manner.
|Overall condition of the property||Bedding & mattresses|
|Kitchen & utensils||Bathroom cleanliness|
|Other facilities & amenities||Service|