“Beautiful”
Review of Hotel Splendid

Hotel Splendid
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Baveno
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Very ostentatious hotel and in a great position and our room had a "splendid" view of the lake & the mountains.we only ate the breakfasts which were marvellous. I can't wait to go back. What else to say?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The hotel is very nice. I stayed there for a conference and is definetely pretty nice for that. I went in October so I couldn't enjoy the environment a lot as it was rainy always. However, the location is amazing. Great view of the lake (maybe as for a room with a view when you book, I was actually facing the road which is not very nice and sometimes noisy at night) and a very nice park just besides the hotel. The outside area has a lot of sitting to just be there enjoying the view and tranquility. I don't know how busy this gets in summer, but my guess is that too much.

I stayed three nights at this hotel, and I couldn't sleep properly. The mattress was too hard. But that's really the only bad thing I can say from the hotel. Unfortunately I didn't have time to try the health club but it certainly looked good. The price of the rooms, if I recall correctly, were between 80 and 300 euros (during high season).

The food that they served us was really tasty and I couldn't ask for anything else. The breakfast was a bit worse, as some morning we had bread that was a bit out of date.

In a nutsell, this was a pretty good hotel. Maybe a bit expensive, but all the hotels in the area are probably about that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the lake, or at least not facing the road if you can't deal with t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Awesome breakfast spread & dinner was divine also. I loved that the doors opened up to that view each night & morning The hotel opulent decor & rich wall coverings are beautiful , great spa/health club. Beds& pillows could use an overhaul though to make it perfect

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had the privilege of spending two nights at this beautiful hotel while touring Italy. Luxury is an understatement!. The rooms were beautifully appointed and clean.
The magnificent views of the lake is breathtaking. Marble and crystal throughout.
Staff was friendly and accommodating, the bar area comfortable and inviting.

Situated in the little town of Baveno, the location was convenient for strolling and close to shops and a park where you can walk and enjoy the Italian surroundings

A great place to stay. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Try to make sure you get a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this hotel being on vacation without kids (a rare treat).
I was trying to find a good romantic place for us.The hotel itself is good: beautiful, directly on the lake, nice garden and swimming pool area.
The suite we had was gorgeous. The reception staff was friendly and helpful with answering questions, ordering taxi etc.
However the room service was rather mediocre, the bath area wasn't properly cleaned, toiletries and the empty kleenex box weren't replaced. The balcony area also wasn't visited by the cleaning lady a single time. The room also should require more attention for such a category of hotels to my opinion. May be the lady simply had her bad days?
We were also disappointed with the hotel restaurant. The view was great, and the vine choice was good. But there were no daily specials and the main dishes weren't good (we had cheaper and much better versions of meat and chicken and risotto in the places around). We dined twice and I actually regret it: we should have go to nearby Streza from the first night (and may be simply stay in a hotel there).
The Internet (for a fee) was terrible: slow, the connection was bad, which was stressful to my husband who had to work on vacation, and it delayed our departures for sightseeing. On a separate note, I was disappointed that there is no walking path from Baveno. You really have to take a boat or a cab if you want to reach an area where you have trails and roads suitable for pedestrians.

Room Tip: Our room was great, a corner suite on the second floor, #216
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was a much needed break which fulfilled our need and exceeded our expectations. The hotel could not be faulted . Baveno is a lovely little town but there was a lack of variety in places to eat. The hotel restaurant is excellent but we do like to eat out when we are away. If you are willing to go into the next town of Stresa then there is a larger choice of restaurants. This was our first time in the Italian Lakes but will definitely go back. The scenery is stunning and it is so easy to get around the lake. Hotel Splendid definitely lives up to its name.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room as the views are stunning.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Beautiful elegant hotel with all the charms of Italy. Large outside area along the lake with plenty of seating on two levels (terrace and park area). Great outdoor furnishes and pool area which is all very well maintained. We stayed there for 3 days and didn't even mind being "rained" in one day taking full advantage of the elegant lobby and bar area...rooms were all fabulous, each with a small terrace and although we were on the street side (which still had fabulous views) once the patio doors were closed it was really quiet and comfortable. One thing we appreciated was the 5 English language tv channels which were available. Hotel restaurant was good although we found the waiters to be very snobby and curt...probably didn't like the fact that a tour group was staying at their upscale hotel. The only real super negative was the cost of Internet connection...at 5 euros per HOUR it was way over priced...no free wifi available anywhere in the hotel. But overall very classy hotel with lovely touches all around.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baveno
Grand Hotel Dino
Regina Palace
#6 of 35 in Stresa
Hotel Villa & Palazzo Aminta
Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees & SPA

Been to Hotel Splendid? Share your experiences!