Hotel Simplon
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$238
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Residence Ortensia(Baveno)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssister hotelart gallerydining roomlake maggiorereception staffhotel dinohalf boardbeautiful hotelindoor poolmain coursetea and coffeetour groupevery eveninggrand dinofew minutes walksun loungersferry terminal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed here for two nights on our driving holiday . The hotel reception is beautiful and very classy, we were impressed! .... We booked dinner bed and breakfast for two nights. We were disappointed to be given a twin room for the price we paid , we then went for dinner, very impressive room but the food was dreadful and the service very very impersonal ... For such a high class hotel we were very surprised to see everyone elses left overs on a trolley pushed past us as we ate our meal !! ... To sum up we were very disappointed , after dinner we foolishly went into the bar and had two beers... Bar bill - €16
next time will stay put on the beautiful Lake Garda.

• Stayed: August 2011
14  Thank megan102
Reviewed October 17, 2011

There are not enough words to describe this beautiful hotel!! Stayed here as part of a Cosmos tour in October 2011.

Everything about this hotel was fantastic. Stayed on the top floor, had a private balcony facing the lake. Huge bathroom, nice room, fantastic, helpful staff. Breakfast was great!!! Best coffee I had at an Italian hotel.

The town was lovely. We found some nice restaurants to have dinner but the dinning room in the hotel was better!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Natalie M
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay (3 nights) here, the rooms were clean and we had plenty of room space in our room. You can use the pool of the sister hotel next door (Dino) which is a very swanky affair with a nice indoor pool, but I think the outdoor pool is better at Simplon, it even has sun loungers in the pool.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. We didn't eat in the hotel at all so I can't comment on that.

A few useful things to know: you get your towel for the pool from reception, not from by the pool; the bar is really pricey and was very quiet (although we had a very pleasant game of scrabble after dinner there one evening); there is a really handy supermarket almost directly over the road from the hotel (turn right and cross the road as you leave the hotel)

Room Tip: I'd recommend requesting a lake view in advance, we didn't and weren't able to move to one when we got there. The rooms are (according to reception) smaller on that side but the views would be spectacular.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank miss_doyle
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We booked to visit here July/August 2011 after it was recommended by a friend. Our holiday was superb. The room overlooking the garden, pool and with a clear sight of the lake was immaculate and well maintained by the household staff. On our first night the maitre d showed me a side entrance (ramped) to the restaurant which was excellent as I am disabled and struggle with steps. The half board was well worth it. There were immense buffet breakfasts with cooked options available and in the evening, if there was not a suitable option on the table d'hote menu (which had 4 or so options on the first few courses) they provided a veg meal of my choice. The meals were 5 course but after the first night we didn't bother with the cheese course as we were "stuffed". The gardens were lovely. 10/10!

Room Tip: Pay for a lake view. Rooms overlooking the main entrance are on a main road.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank cheshirec0uple
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I just got back from a 6 night stay at the Simplon Hotel in Baveno. It was one of my best hotel experiences ever in Europe. I arrived jet lagged after a long trip from Canada and the staff was friendly and helpful from the start. I had a large room
on the second floor with a terrace overlooking Baveno and Lake Maggiore, It was wonderful to sit there with a coffee in the morning. The room was very clean and comfortably furnished. The bathroom was perfect. The service was exceptional throughout my stay. The hotel itself has one disadvantage: it is not on the lake. However, it''s connected by a walkway to
its larger glitzier sister hotel, the Grand Dino, which is situated on the lake and has a great terrace for meals and drinks. I had never been to this part of italy before and really enjoyed it. The lakes and mountains are beautiful and it's not crowded or touristy. Go to Baveno and the Simplon.

Room Tip: Lake view with a terrace rather than a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business