“Nice food and good location but slight pretentiousness left us a bit underwhelmed.”
Review of marghe

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2018

We've recently returned from a two week trip to the lovely town of Sirmione where we found an abundance of very good restaurants. We found the standards in the various establishments in which we ate to be generally very good, if a little pricier than other resorts around lake Garda.
We picked this restaurant, which is situated on a relatively peaceful piazza just off the main street, following a recommendation from a fellow hotel guest and on the strength of some reasonable reviews. The was certainly nothing majorly wrong with it, just that in comparison to other restaurants we had had dined at, we were left a little underwhelmed by the experience.
The food was perfectly okay, although the rather pretentious way in which it was described on the menu left us expecting something a bit more special. My starter was a good example of this; the "Mountain egg cooked at 67°, black toast, white asparagus, bagoss cheese, and timut pepper" turned out to be a rather wordy and colourful way to serve a fancy poached egg on toast (and charge about 14 euro for it!).
This was a pattern which continued throughout the meal...lavishly described dishes, which, although nicely presented and decently prepared, were largely unexceptional but with descriptions and prices prices which promised something a bit more.

This theme continued with the service, which was very attentive but rather fussily carried out by a group of young male waiters wearing a rather peculiar matching peasant garb (even with matching Birkenstocks!).

I don't want to be too critical of this restaurant because in truth we had a pleasant evening here, in a nice setting with some relatively decent food, but it was one of the pricier places we went to and it seemed almost as if the restaurant was trying too hard to be somewhere which was a notch above many of the other restaurants but ultimately came across as having an air of pretentiousness which wasn't quite matched by the finished product.

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

We stumbled upon this place by accident due to struggling to find anywhere with suitable food for the kids in the shade with more than 3* on TA. We were welcomed by a friendly chap who gave us a great table in the shade, and was really friendly with the kids. The service was attentive and quick, and the food was definitely different to other restaurants, with the pizza choices being excellent in particular. They use a different type of dough here, that seems to have some whole meal flour in it, but it tasted lovely. We ordered two pizzas and a salad. One pizza (marinara) was delicious, and despite being a cheese less pizza was enjoyed by all. The other was a milk cheese based pizza with no tomato axe, but instead has fresh tomato and anchovy on top. Delicious if a little sickly. The salad was so so, and really needed dressing, but apart from that the meal was very tasty. They looked after us and the kids really well throughout, and I would go there again if I was to return. One thing I loved was the glassware, which gave me espresso cup envy at the end!

Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

My sister and I use to go to this restaurant every year for the past 10 and this time it has been renamed and revamped.
We didn’t like it as much. There was less choice of pasta dishes and the prices have increased.
I understand that every so often places need a revamp but this was one of our favourites and the change is a little too much.
However my sister had the duck and she said it was good although it was just duck on a plate with some cauliflower sauce. I had a pizza which was also good but the prices have increased to make it less favourable. I don’t think we will be returning there.

Reviewed August 2, 2018

We had two meals here, both very nice. Fresh food, well prepared, excellent wine. Fun cocktails and knowledgeable staff. Kudos for the exceptional fries!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

Great and out of the ordinary delicious food - went there together with friends (4 adults and in total 6 kids). The staff was extremely friendly and nice to the kids despite that kids sometimes take a lot of room.

The food was so good that it’s hard to find words - go and experience yourself - this is a must try restaurant!

Date of visit: July 2018