“Good budget option in an otherwise expensive region” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Albergo Beretta

Albergo Beretta
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
Melbourne
“Good budget option in an otherwise expensive region”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Signora Tosca went out of her way to make our stay pleasant. We had room 3 on the first floor and as other reviewers have said, it is quite noisy until 11pm and again at 6am. This was not a problem for us and we both managed to get a good nights sleep every night. The bar is wonderful and full of characters, on occasion we felt like we were on a movie set! We recommend this hotel to the budget traveller as it is one of the better places we have stayed. Clean, breakfast is good, it does help if you speak Italian though (my husband does). We had lunch here one day, and dinner another night. Signora Tosca even made vegetable soup for my husband as he had a cold!

Room Tip: Higher floors are (slightly) less noisy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greynomads95

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

I agree 100% with SophiagoestoItaly. I think we stayed in the same room. Very large room and bathroom. Spotlessly clean. Bed was very comfortable. Yes there is street noise until 11 or 12 at night and again about 6 in the morning. My husband and were able to sleep just fine. If you have trouble sleeping, you might not to stay here though the smaller doubles on the top floor are probably quieter. We loved going through Signora Tosca's lobby because we were always greeted warmly. This hotel/restaurant/bar/coffee bar is a local favorite and we enjoyed seeing the local citizens of Varenna. The breakfast mixup is because if you have a Rick Steve's guidebook you can have a free breakfast of croissant and cappuccino. The tables are set up for the regular breakfast. You just have to know that if you want any of those items, you will pay for it. I rated this hotel high because of location,cleanliness, and budget priced. This room would be double the price if it wasn't on the street. Signora Tosca's was always very pleasant to us. We had no complaints.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sunseeker065
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

2 nights. Thought the staff was nice until it came time to check-out - she tried to charge me additional for breakfast, even though she said it was included. She also said breakfast was available until 10am. But after I checked out, while waiting for my train, I made the mistake of getting another glass of juice and a small cube of pastry - the lady Yelled at me that it was an Additional 3 Euro. Totally fine with only 1 serving of breakfast, not ok with getting yelled at. :-(

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank David S
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I rate this hotel stay a 5 simply because it is exactly what we expected: a basic, clean, convenient, and yes, rather noisy room. It was also our cheapest of 8 hotels in Europe, and we didn't have to sacrifice. It's a 5-minute walk down from the train station. Our room was large and comfortable, and the large bathroom was spotless. Unlike other posters, we had no problem at all with the wifi or the tv, although we preferred to watch the soccer games downstairs with other people. We had a large balcony right above the bar, and actually enjoyed the sounds and activity; if we wanted peace and quiet, we would have stayed home! The first morning noises were of birds chirping, then people setting up downstairs, but certainly nothing annoying. The "nonna" who runs it was friendly and kind, although her English is as limited as my Italian. We had to leave at 6:30 am the final morning (to miss the train strike planned for 9 a.m.!), and she made us coffees and pastries to go. She even gave me a little gift (a silk hankie from Como) - I think a little kindness, humour, and adaptability goes a long way when travelling, and we were certainly treated well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SophiagoestoItaly2
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

It's basic & no frills. However, it was pleasant and clean. It was also about half the price of any hotel we could find. If you want to stay in Varenna and don't need to be pampered, this place will work just fine. We did not have any trouble with reservations or with management as mentioned in some other reviews.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Beretta is a basic hotel with free wifi and some noise and maintenance problems. The hotel is ran as a backdrop to a bar and a newsstand, with few rooms with and without a bathroom. My room without bathroom had a sink and a bidet. Linen was clean, towels and soap were supplied. Shades worked properly. The room had a view onto the lake Como and the building construction was such as to ensure that the latter was the case for other rooms as well. The wifi can be activated using any cell phone that works locally, not just Italian. I suspect that an Italian sim card can be purchased at the newsstand for 10 euros or so.

Several people warned me of noise problems at Beretta. I encountered none on my second (continental) floor until a noisy neighbor moved in, who shouted into her phone at 3 o’clock at night. The noise insulation turned out to be so poor that she could have just as well shouted in my room.

Every faucet I encountered in the hotel was leaking. The first night I was busy unclogging my sink. Pouring boiling water worked, so it was not difficult to do unclog it ahead of me moving in.

What really got me was the way I got treated. As I moved in on a Sunday, the TV in my room was not working. Since I wanted to watch the soccer EURO2012 games taking place, I went down and complained about the TV not working. Nobody went up my room to check. The proprietor said that she could not get a technician on Sunday, but on Monday the TV would be surely fixed. All was immersed in charming smiles - the more of those in an Italian hotel, the more itchy I get. On Monday night the TV was still not working and then the proprietor declared that on Moday the technicians were not working as well but on Tuesday the TV would be fixed. I stopped by the hotel at 2pm on Tuesday and the TV still did not work and there were no signs of any work attempted. I went to the reception and the proprietor, somewhat annoyed, called for a technical help in my presence. In the evening the TV worked and the problem was simply with a missing decoder box that was presumably pulled from my room to somebody else’s. The box could have been taken care of, within 5 minutes, on the first night I moved in.

Some bad experiences in the past taught me never to leave the payment to the last moment and never to a weekend or night, but instead to do it with a minimum of one workday left. Sure enough, as I went to pay, the proprietor refused to take a credit card and insisted on cash. The walls were plastered with credit card signs and there was no prior warning. I pointed to two credit card machines standing on her desk, just in that particular corner of the office space. She declared that both machines were broken and indicated that there was an ATM dispenser across the street. The problem was that the ATM had a 250 euro maximum, well insufficient for my payment. Fortunately, again taught by bad experiences, I carry around 2 ATM cards for 2 different banks. Though I got through unscathed, I would rather not gather more lessons on survival on a trip. The proprietor also tried to charge me for meals taken at the hotel, which I never did.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

This place is about 5 minutes from the train station, the travel agency is right next door, and it's about 2 minutes from the lake, so you won't have any problems getting around. The rooms are basic and small, but adequate. The main downside if the wifi, which you need to get a password for using an Italian cell phone, but if you ask the hotel folks they might be able to find it for you. If you bring Rick Steves' book, you get a free croissant and capuccino for breakfast. Yes, only a few of the hotel employees speak English, but with my limited Italian I was able to get by OK.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family