Eremo Gaudio
Hotel Olivedo(Varenna)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsupper buildingtrain stationthe lower levelminute walk to townlake comoafraid of heightsolder gentlemannarrow roadmountain sideshort hikeamazing viewshundred feettop floorhard boiled eggsstaying at this hotelbreakfast terraceyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2009

I can only repeat what others have already said- great hotel with incredible views over Lake Como. The rooms were simple but perfectly adequate with a great bathroom. We had a huge balcony which was perfect for watching the sun set over the lake with a bottle of wine. The location is a little bit away from the center of town high up on a hill over looking the lake. This means there is a little bit of walking required (or taxi) but the peace and quiet and views make up for it. The staff was wonderfully friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel!

Varenna is a great small town with excellent restaurants. We took a day trip to Bellagio but were happy to be back in quiet little Varenna.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We were lucky to stay at this hotel for two days in July. Taking a train to Varenna was really simple and when you arrive you'll definitely want a taxi to take you up to the hotel. The taxi costs roughly 10 euro, but it's well worth the time and sweat you'll save yourself from hiking the hill with your bags. The owner and staff are very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are really plain, but very clean. We stayed in one of the upper rooms and had a giant balcony that was very private. I think our room was called the "Fumelotta." We did find a huge spider in our room, but when you're that high up on a mountain I guess they can crawl in sometimes. Breakfast was typical continental style. The food at the restaurant is pretty good, but we ate there for the breathtaking view. Really this is why we stayed here and it was well worth it. In fact we plan on returning to Varenna and staying here again. I loved the friendly small town and I also loved catching ferries to visit other nearby towns.

I recommend staying here for the most spectacular view of Lake Como!

Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed in Varenna because we had heard it had the more small town feel to it compared to Bellagio. Indeed this was correct. The Hotel Eremo Gaudio is not located in the town, but above it. It is about a 10 minute walk, but well worth it. We stayed in the "lower" part which is the basic hotel with breakfast terrace, etc. The upper section is accessible with a funnicular and according to breakfast talk is quite a bit fancier. But we were clearly happy with our location. We had a beautiful lake view and the breakfast room was just a step away. The room was clean and served us well though it was small and rather spartan. But since the point of going to Lake Como is the lake...the view was spectacular. Moonrise, sunset...it was all there!

Reviewed August 14, 2009

I was on a walking holiday and stayed at this hotel for a few nights last week. I had a room on the lowest floor (at my request). The accommodation was fine and the bathroom was excellent.
I had breakfast and dinner there. The breakfast was more the adequate and the dinner was ok. What stood out at dinner was the local produce; trout, cheese and cold meats. The view from the terrace while dining was breathtaking, especially at sunset.
The manager was avuncular and we got by on my struggles with Italian and his with English. The receptionist on arrival was very professional and welcoming.
The waitress on my first night there is one of the best I have encountered. Not only did she take me through the local delicacies on the menu, and basically sorted my order for both nights, but she also gave an insightful analysis of the book I had started reading over dinner with out giving away the plot! The remaining wine in my bottle was even better on the second night!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I had stayed here about five years ago when attending a conference in Varenna and made a mental note to return to Lake Como and to Varenna in particular. I was undecided on the hotel as I had not had the opportunity to consider the alternatives. As this was July I wanted the option of AirCon but we did not need a palatial room - why pay for that when the view is so fantastic and the idea of visiting Lake Como is to get out and about not stay in your room. I knew about the uphill walk and the distance from the rail station and the ferry, but I admit we noticed both at times - not quite as young as we were!! But no complaint, it stopped us getting too overweight with all the good food we ate in Varenna.

We stayed 9 nights! And never thought of checking out - in fact, having just returned, we wish we were still there ...

Yes, I am sure that the owner can come across as grumpy but he has a good side to him if you are polite and cheerful - and his staff are good, with a special mention for Lorna who is on reception from the afternoon and is very chatty and helpful and is very knowlegble about the mountain walks.
yes, the room is basic but clean - we were in the lower (called 'inferior') rooms and in the one that lacked a balcony but hey!
Dinner/lunch is nothing to write home about but is not expensive and does have that view. that said, there are so many other good places to eat - and we tried nearly all of them. I might get around to reviewing the food places but thought I should start here.
Advice? If you are reasonably fit, not fussy, and you dont want to splash the cash, then stay here.
Complaints? Well, on the day of our arrival there was a train strike and we were stuck in Milan, only able to get a late train. I had tried text/email to explain problem and was dismayed that there were no taxis at the station so had long and exhausting walk with luggage, to discover owner waiting up for us. Whether he was grumpy or not didnt come into it as we were both evidently exhausted and at the end of our tether. Common courtesy on both side ensured that it went off OK. And we put that behind us to enjoy our stay.

1  Thank Strollerman