“Be sure of what you are getting!”
Review of Eremo Gaudio

Eremo Gaudio
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed here 5 nights and have never found it so difficult to review a hotel!
Firstly there are 2 hotels - the lower where we stayed and an older (more expensive I presume) upper part which is 150m further up the mountain by private funicular. All rooms appear to have stunning views over the lakes.
Good - good service , cleanliness, the bar (fabulous view) and the bar food (simple and reasonably priced, with the views) and the views, the views
Bad points - our double bed was two singles that appeared to dislike each other intensely, the sound insulation between rooms was poor, the breakfast was very average with poor coffee and fruit juice, wifi was obtainable in our room and very poor elsewhere.

Similarly the location is good (high up thus the views, 10 mins walk from Varenna) and bad (MUST use a taxi if you aren't carrying your bags)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank macca99

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We had the Varenna room at the tip-top of the hotel. This hotel is fabulous and a totally unique experience but it is not in the main part of the town. We reached it by climbing up the hill to the hotel, climbing stairs to an outdoor funicular elevator to get to a second funicular elevator, then taking an indoor elevator to the 6th floor. The view from high, high on the mountain was amazing and there are no other buildings around. We had a private balcony, clean room and bathroom, good breakfast, and nice staff helped us find a good restaurant and get a taxi. If, like us, you do not have a car, it is a fairly long walk from the ferry with part of it uphill and up stairs. If you come in at the train station I would suggest a taxi which you should probably arrange for in advance. It is worth the extra trouble to get to. You will never forget it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the very top floor with balconies are a little pricier but worth it for the view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We went there for the views and location and no one could be disappointed with them unless it was obstructed by clouds. Telephone wires from your room? Go to the main patio and don't go without a good camera. Quiet and romantic too.

Room Tip: Read the reviews on this place and choose to meet your expectations. We did. Amazing. Amazing. Amazi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights here and absolutely loved it. We had a balcony that overlooked the lake, with the alps in the backkground. The views were awesome. The hotel is clean and simple. Nothing fancy. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast is included and it's nothing to write home about, but adequate. The hotel is up a pretty steep hill so when we left in the morning, we didn't come back until the end of the day. It's about a 10 minute walk into the town. There's a funicular that takes you to the rooms on the higher levels. We didn't have dinner there, since there's so many good restaurants in the area and the hotel did not have a very good menu. I would go back there in a minute.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room with a balcony. The lower level rooms would have no views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

The ad at hotels.com looks nice, but that's the upper building. The standard rooms are in a totally uncharming building below. The breakfast was the worst on our trip; everything wrapped in small plastic containers. No assosiation to great Italian food, and NO charm. Other hotels in same price-range have ber splendid, this sucks. The reception lady was nice, hence the one star...

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Line D
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed here 13-14th April 2014 for two nights. We paid for a room with a view. This was the best decision we made during our entire 6 week holiday. The views from our room and balcony were unbelievable.
The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The receptionist during our stay was incredibly good and her help was greatly appreciated.
Breakfast was only average.
The room itself was very clean and comfortable

Room Tip: Make sure you upgrade to a balcony room
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nern2014
Reviewed April 20, 2014

In this hotel, the motto should be "you get what you get and you don't get upset"
Really, No idea on how the management think when it comes to customer satisfaction. I know a lot of the readers would reply by the need of lowering service expectations when you take a trip to Italy and book a standard room in a 3 star hotel, but it is not a reason to be quite on things. Nevertheless, this hotel charges $225 a night. I really love Italy, half of my family is italian. I have relatives that live throughout Italy from lake Garda to Sicilly. So let's put things in perspective here: this is not a desire to take revenge on a place where my family and I were not treated right "at least according to US service standards" but rather a modest contribution from someone outside the box with substantial travel experience, very familiar with service oriented industries, and that dedicates a lot of his time to study art.
Here is briefly one of the interactions:
The guest:" there is dozens of mosquitoes in the room and I tried to get them using a towel but the next door guest complained about the noise I was making. Could you please move us to a different room? I brought the towel with me so you could see that I am not making this up "
Hotel clerk: " Sorry Sir you have been assigned that particular room, try to make less noise, and beside we are pretty much fully booked"
The guest :"but I just checked on the Internet and looks like you have rooms available"
Hotel clerk: "Well they have to be at the same level"
The guest:"I just looked at the floor plan on the door and it looks like most of your rooms are the same"...
Hotel clerk: "Sorry Sir there is nothing I could do for you at this time"

I am not here to tell this hotel how to run their business, but I would like them to pay more attention to a guest that leaves his bed at midnight and head up to the front desk with a request that would have been considered reasonable in other establishments, to clarify in advance or to obtain a pre-approval for any considerable charges that would be billed at the end of the stay, to realize that landscape historical sites and art gives a tourist a good reason to visit an area, but an excellent service give him a good reason to come back.

Room Tip: The interesting part of the hotel that is advertised is not open until May.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Forevertrips50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
Royal Victoria
#2 of 6 in Varenna
Hotel La Darsena
Hotel La Darsena
#2 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Eremo Gaudio? Share your experiences!