“Worst pizza in one month in Italy.”
Review of Albergo Del Sole

Albergo Del Sole
Ranked #18 of 32 Restaurants in Varenna
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst pizza in one month in Italy.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Horrible pizza with slimy canned mushrooms. Unbelievably bad. Salad was barely acceptable, with lettuce shredded like Cole slaw. Young boys throwing soccer balls into the eating area. All in all, quite unpleasant.

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Perth
“Lovely meal in Varenna”
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I dined at albergo del sole after reading several glowing reviews on trip advisor. Well that, and the fact that I'm a sucker for pizzoccheri and it just so happened to be on the menu!!
I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, best I've had in Varenna, and partner had the fillet steak with mushroom sauce. We shared meals and I can also say his was yummy. Steak was juicy and tender and sauce also very tasty. Another reviewer made a comment about the bottled water which also concerns me, but I hadn't noticed if we were charged or not. Our meal was reasonably priced with or without the tap water price included.

Scotland, United Kingdom
“If you can't cook it, don't put it on the menu!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

By far the worst meal we have ever had in an Italian restaurant. My frito misto di mare was a heap of calamare with one or two peeled prawns straight from the freezer served on a limp lettuce leaf, no sign of fish of any type. My wife's lasagne was a disgrace and I wish I had taken a photo of it, a 4" square dry brick of curled up pasta again served on a limp piece of lettuce. Awful. Other food lovers will know how your entire evening can be ruined by this kind of experience, please avoid this place. Our evening was salvaged by walking down to the lakeside Varenna Caffe for ice-cream, coffees, biscotti and digestifs.

Syracuse, NY
“Just awful!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I had pizza at Albergo Del Sole on September 11, 2013. We both had pizza and "bottled" water. Both of our pizzas were tasteless and resembled frozen pizza from a box. In addition, our water came in an open bottle which proudly displayed the Culligan name and logo; in other words, it was tap water, put into a bottle, and sold for 2.5 euro. A total ripoff!

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A welcome lunch on arrival”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Excellent dishes included papadelle with heavenly mushrooms and cream sauce. Excellent pizza. Every dish was home made. A pleasant family concern

Visited September 2013