“Nice Food if you have the time”
Review of Varenna Mon Amour

Varenna Mon Amour
Ranked #5 of 32 Restaurants in Varenna
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I ate here twice on my recent visit. The first time we dropped in for lunch and the food was delicious. We all had 1 course each with it being during the day and we were all happy. The next time I came was at night for a full meal and I was very disappoined. The service was exceptionally slow, and that was on a quiet night in the restaurant. The food tasted very nice, but the portions were quite small indeed, and it was quite expensive. Staff were friendly, but offered no explanation for the delays. Decor is very nice and modern, and the a/c was very welcoming on a warm evening.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We visited this restaurant on our 2nd to last night, and has simply scrummy food! Modern interior, with lovely waiters who left space between our meals yet always attentive when you needed them. It was so fantastic we went back the following evening! We tried a delicious black ravioli filled with grouper and shrimp with an almond pesto dressing, a homemade spaghetti with crab, the local fish called laveret with a leek and potato pie, and also sea bream wrapped in Aubergine with a red pepper sauce, served with a zucchini pie. YUM!! So so delicious - definitely worth a visit. The best homemade pasta in varenna, beautifully presented and very adequate portion sizes. I would rate this far higher than the top restaurants listed on trip advisor. 2 courses and 2 glasses of Prosecco came to €70. Well worth the money for classic, with a modern twist Italian food. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Neveratruerreviewer
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Very modern & updated interior. Does not match the quant Atmosphere of Varenna. Excellent food & better than average service, although there was only one waitstaff for 5 tables in our section. Not sure about the upstairs. The crispy shrimp and avocado salad was great! Also the black ravioli was very special. The 2nd course was grilled prawns and potatoes. Both were excellent with great flavor, but the only drawback is that the prawns were whole and not split. A small price to pay but if you do not like to handle your food, you might look for a different entree. I do not eat desserts but they 'looked' nice at the neighboring tables.

1  Thank rhpatt29
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I dined with my wife at Varenna Mon Amour and we had a very enjoyable experience. The food was excellent as was the service. The decor of the restaurant is quirky with a mix of old and modern. We were a little concerned that only one other couple was in the downstairs room with us but that was unfounded. The upstairs bar scene was more lively.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The food was pretty bland overall. I am not the type to put salt, pepper or sauces on everything, mind you. My local lake fish appetizer was so bland that I had to salt it heavily just to be able to taste anything at all. The service was pretty slow, but consistent, so that must just be their style and that's fine. The main courses were very pretty, and they did taste better. But for the price, I think I would have rather gone elsewhere.