“Excellent food, nice place”

Cavallino Ristorante Trattoria dei Pescatori
Ranked #17 of 32 Restaurants in Varenna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: for lunch and dinner with the wide range of fresh lake fishkichten open from noon till late evening
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Excellent food, nice place”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The food in this place is brilliant. Although we are not fan of lake fish, we decided to try it and we didn't regret it at all.

The way they cook the fish in this restaurant is excellent and the result is a delicious meal.

The fish is very fresh (they fish it early in the morning and they serve it the same day).

The wine list is good and their own wine that they served was very cheap in price and very nice with fish.

If you want to taste nice fresh lake fish, you must visit this restaurant

• Visited August 2012

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
“Great Food & Service, Very Kind Owners”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We arrived in Varenna via ferry on a rainy afternoon. There were no taxis to be found and none showed up even after the manager of the cafe/bar across from the ferry dock kindly tried calling one for us...something about all of the taxis in town being in the middle of airport runs.... After waiting through a couple of glasses of wine, we decided to address our hunger first by giving up on taxis for the moment and making a run for the nearby restaurant, in pouring rain with our luggage in tow. That's how we discovered Cavallino.

The food was generally good and service was great. The owner/manager couple (both of whom happened to be young, casually stylish and beautiful -- yes, both) stopped by the table several times to check in on us and to thoroughly explain the menu in English (in which both were quite fluent). One dish was particularly memorable: spaghetti with lake fish roe! Light yet full of flavor, it was (and still is) one of the best pasta dishes we'd ever had. We ended up ordering a second round of it even though we were already getting too full to finish our primi's. That dish is one of the reasons why we plan on going back to Varenna on our next trip to Italy this summer.

Another memorable moment came as we finished our delicious and much-needed meal and were preparing to leave. With a couple of hours having passed since our last try, we made another request to call a taxi to take us to our hotel. The owner/manager couple told us that taxis were still hard to come by. They then graciously and without hesitation offered to drive us to our hotel (Cipressi), which is all the way in the southern end of town (sure, Varenna isn't big but it was still a bit of a drive, especially in pouring rain). As the wife (shame on me for not remembering her/their names!) drove us and our luggage in her luxe station wagon, I couldn't help but think that the kind, beautiful couple represented their country/town splendidly that afternoon, inside and out!

• Visited September 2011
“Overall positive”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

You can get the aperitiv on their boat in the center of the lake,
After they at serving you a good lake fish dishes as the owning family is a lake fisherman group.
The place is superb and the food are also good.
It's a family trattoria, they are very kind and I am not giving the full note, but I am also not believing in the so bad rewiews.
You must try , expecially with the aperitive packet on the boat.

Front Royal, Virginia
“"Great simple place with good food & charming lakeside atmospphere"”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The whitefish was cooked to perfection--so hard to find it cooked simple like that--crispy outside and meaty inside. My whitefish stuffed ravioli with raddichio (sp?) cream sauce was outstanding! The local wine was great--we bought a bottle from the waiter to take back to our hotel. The location of this restaurant is right in front of the ferry landing. We enjoyed the sunshine in late October on the terrace. Highly recommended.

Visited October 2011
Portland, Oregon
“An all-time bizarre restaurant experience”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We were enticed into this place because they display the little snail of the Slow Food osteria guide, and it's in a nice spot by the ferry dock. Just to give you the memorable moment: when our food arrived, I received penne rather than the maltagliati I had ordered. Then I looked at the table next to us, and the man was complaining to his wife that he ordered penne but received maltagliati. Both he and I had taken a few bites before we realized the mix-up at adjoining tables. I signaled the waiter/owner, and told him what had occurred. (I speak good Italian.) Before I knew it, he picked up the pasta off the table next to me -- that the man had been eating -- and set the bowl in front of me!

I have been a food journalist for almost 30 years, and this was an all-time unique experience.

• Visited October 2011