“Excellent home pasta”

Ranked #46 of 542 Restaurants in Como
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Once again we are in Como visited this place twice. Love the atmosphere and the food. Owners daughter cooks, mother manages the room and father assists. They come from Madesimo up in the mountains where Bresaola comes from. You must start with freshly cut bresaola followed by home cooked green vegetable salade where you can taste each flavour. I either have their lasagne or ravoli filled with ricotta,squash so delicately cooked. As it was easter, tradition is to eat the baby lamb cooked so tenderly.We tried 1994 Chianti at 12 Euro delicious. Ask Giuseppe for wine recommendation. Very good selection of digestive drinks mostly local.

1  Thank Margeritta
There are newer reviews for Osteria del Gallo

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our hotel recommended this restaurant and we were definitely not disappointed. We arrived around 2pm and there were a few other parties waiting for tables ahead of us. This is a family run restaurant with good home cooking and no written menu. They have a few offerings every day, and everything is made in house. We had the lasagna, fish with polenta cakes and meatballs, and it was all so delicious. For dessert we had the creme caramel and the chocolate cake. Fantastic! Most staff do not speak English, but that was not a problem. Although it was really busy, we didn't feel as though they had forgotten about us while we were waiting for our table. They even moved us to a nicer table when one became available.

The food here is great. Make a reservation to avoid waiting for a table. As it was Easter weekend, they were closed for the rest of the time we were in Como, but if they had been open, we probably would have eaten all our meals here!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I always visit this little Osteria runned by a family. Owners come from Madesimo Valtelina and daughter is the chef in the kitchen. Stopped on the way to the airport and had a wonderful lunch as usual. The menu changes every day. I had pasta cooked with beetroot, followed by polenta with gorgonzola cheese, my husband had stuffed pasta with ricotta cheese and tomato sauce followed by cooked vegetable. Desert was home cooked apple tart. They have a great selection of wine. But house wine is always good. If you need to try something different ask Giuseppe the husband who has knowledge all wines and desert wines. Prices are always very reasonable. They are now open for evenings but must make a reservation, as it is popular with locals.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My mom and I had lunch here in January. We're both vegetarians who don't speak really any Italian so menus can be tricky sometimes. We sat at a nice table along a wall of wine and ordered 2 glasses of Pinot Grigio. A woman (I assume co-owner), came over to take our food order. They have a weekly, possibly daily changing menu at the entrance based on the freshest ingredients and she told us at the table what vegetarian options they had today in English. My mom had a tomato and cheese macaroni and I had the cheesy polenta. Both were great, so was the wine. The service was fantastic and homey and we never felt rushed.
I would definitely return to Osteria del Gallo.

This street has some very cool and interesting shops as well.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Menu changes daily apparently so it is recited to you, which is fine. Food was ok, nothing really amazing just good basic food. we had spinach and cheese ravioli, quiche and roast veal. All fine, nothing really memorable for me though. It was extremely busy so it obviously has a good reputation.