“Lovely hotel, great value and friendly staff”
Review of Borgovico Hotel

Borgovico Hotel
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Como
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I loved this hotel and for the price it far exceeded my expectations. It was 52 euro a night and it was worth every cent. The staff were very friendly and helpful in recommending places to go and how to find the laundromat, internet cafe etc. While not as centrally located as the other Como hotels, this was a good thing because it was quiet at night and Como is a relatively small place so it was only a 5 minute walk to the restaurants, shops and ferry terminals It was only just down the road from the main train station Como San Giovanni which was great and meant I didn't have to lug my luggage far at all. The room and bathroom were spotless and everything worked as it should. The breakfast was great with a range of yoghurts, juices and pastries. I would wholly recommend this hotel and have already recommended it to other travellers, and if I go back to Como again I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Brisbanetraveller91

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Hotel Borgovico is a really sweet hotel right near the lakeside in the town of Como. The hotel is all exposed stonework and woodedn beams and we had an amazing double height room with beautiful spotless new bathroom. The staff were really welcoming and it felt like they looked after everything in the hotel with a great deal of care and attention. The hotel is just a 2 min walk from the lake and very close to the main streets of the town too, it's also just a few minutes walk from the station meaning a stay in Como from Milan was so easy. When we arrived we were given some tips in good places to go and eat and they were really useful, Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo in particular was well worth the visit: such beautiful gardens. The hotel was brilliant value and personally I much prefered staying in a good value individual hotel a few min from the lake than paying over the odds to be right on it. The hotel also offered free wifi which I thought very good considering some of the quite fancy 4 star hotels we stayed in on our honeymoon charged high daily or even hourly rates in addition to the big room rates.

We only visited Lake Como for 2 nights and we both agreed we wanted to go back and explore the rest of the area a bit more so I'd certainly go back to the Borgovico.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank CPHardman
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Yes, it is good, but I did find the walk to and from the train/ ferry bit far dragging suitcases. The staff are very honest. I left behind an newly purchased silk scarf. I didn't realize until later the day, rang them, and yes they had it and held onto it until I could return to collect. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Only a 5-10 min walk from the train station. Also only 5-10 min from the central lakeshore of Como town. The hotel is right on the smallish street outside which is busy enough. We asked for, and were allocated a back room which was fine and quiet - we like the window open when sleeping. Having said that, the hotel had air-conditioning which was functioning in May - not like a Milan hotel I will review elsewhere.
The room was spacious and the bathroom even more so and we had a nice view of a courtyard from the window. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The breakfast was very good. And there is an excellent restaurant two doors up the street which was one of the best places we ate at in Italy. Its clientele was, apart from us, very Italian without an obvious tourist in sight.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Travelling by train we wanted accommodation near stations. This hotel was only a 5 min stroll and yet we had no train noise inside the rooms. The rooms were spotless, the breakfasts were fine, the proximity to the town centre was a bonus ( 10 min walk ).
Our stay was more than enjoyable thanks to Lino - a perfect "mine host" - made us feel most welcome and provided us with pre dinner drinks and nibbles each day , as well as giving inside information on the best placed to dine and places to visit ( other than the usual touristy ones ). A real bonus.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I was in Como for business and my wife and I extended our stay, so we were at the Borgovico for 9 nights. We loved the beautifully renovated rooms, the helpful and accommodating staff, the excellent breakfast, the free internet access, and the satellite TV. The location is charming, but unpretentious, and has a distinctly local flavor. An excellent restaurant, bakery, laundry, grocery, and other shops serving local clientele are nearby. The main train station is an easy walk and provides access for day trips to places like Lugano, Switzerland, which is only a half-hour away. The beautiful lakeside area and historic old town are both within easy walking distance. We loved Como - an interesting city in a beautiful setting that is relatively unaffected by tourists. We will no doubt return and stay at the Borgovico.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My first stop ever in Italy was here at the Borgovico Hotel. As I walked into the hotel on a Sunday night in early May at about 5 pm, it seemed that Lino was just beginning his shift.
We had traveled 24 hours straight to get there, and were limp. After walking up the steps past the open air patio to our suite, we were pleased to find a spacious room with loft, and very modern bath. As Lino tried to leave, I asked for some wine and he brought 2 excellent bottles to soothe our weary bodies.
We woke the next day for the ferry and rode all the way up the lake and returned--a very pleasant afternoon. Lino helped us with the local grocery store. Later in the afternoon, he told us about Italian wines while serving us another bottle or two and even prepared snacks while we traded stories.
I only met one other employee while at check out. Even so, I would rate the service at this hotel quite highly due to its choice of Lino alone. He was knowledgeable and entertaining! Thank you Lino!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rmad125
Also consider these accommodations in or near Como
Palace Hotel
#2 of 32 in Como
Hotel La Darsena
Hotel La Darsena
#2 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Borgovico Hotel? Share your experiences!