“WHAT A SUPRISE”

Cathedral of Como (Duomo)
Book In Advance
Half-Day Lake Como Discovery Tour from Milan
Ranked #1 of 90 things to do in Como
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Diocesi's chief Church, Bishop Cathedral, was erected since 1396 and works ended in 1740. Many famous artist, during 300 years operated in it harmonizing their own typical age's styles.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Been to Como many times and walked around this daily but never went in until we had to kill a few hours and what a surprise. A church that feels warm and friendly and we took in a hours worth of Organ recital which was very pleasant. and as usual stunning building.

There are newer reviews for Cathedral of Como (Duomo)

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Very impressive interior. Was able to visit on a normal day then again for a concert, when it was absolutely packed, standing room only. Very atmospheric. Gorgeous ceiling and stained glass.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Please do not think I am berating this ancient cathedral which is certainly worth a visit. However I am afraid I am spoiled as I have been to some of the most magnificent cathedrals in Italy and also stunning small ones. One of the small ones which is also the site of a miracle is located in Cannobio and is where I go to pray should I need to pray for a friend. One of my friends and I took a tour as she was visiting and she wanted to go to Lake Como so I accompanied. It is a nice cathedral but I cant say I would make a trip back there to see it.There are so many beautiful villages on the lake, The town of Como is just not one of my favorites.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This small cathedral, by Italian standards, has a lot of beautiful works of art, both inside and outside. Its superb gothic facade is best admired while sitting at an outdoor table in one of the many restaurants in the piazza. The lighting in this church was poor during my daytime visit and this made admiring the artwork a bit more difficult. The St. Ambrose altarpiece (first altar on the right hand of the nave as you enter) is an exquisite painted marble beauty that should not be missed. During an evening stroll of Como I highly recommend taking a walk around the cathedral's exterior, its illumination gives a visual prospective of the architecture that is not easily seen during daylight hours.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I hate to give it 3 starts, but it's not in the top 10 of European Cathedrals. As one reviewer put it, you wouldn't come to Como to see the Cathedral. But if you are in Como, come see the cathedral. It is beautiful. I would recommend a guided tour (there are many tour operators based out of Milan that will do Lake Como day trips) but if not, have internet ready and just use Google. My favorite feature of the church is the carvings of all of the important saints and citizens of Como along the face of the building.

As others have mentioned, it's free to get in which is always nice, so be sure to make a small donation if possible.