“Great Stay”
Review of Palace Hotel

Palace Hotel
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Como
Reviewed April 8, 2011

We spent two nights at the Palace, the rooms were clean, and comfortable, and priced right. Recommend to anyone looking for a comfortable place in Como that is central to everything you would want to walk to. The off street parking was nice too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 3, 2011

The Palace hotel is a beautiful property, in a fantastic location in Como and right on the lake so a great place to explore the sights of Como. The rooms are quite plain compared to the rest of the hotel but this seems pretty consistent with most Como hotels AND the rooms have everything you need. The reception staff are very helpful and kind.

My only issue with The Palace was the horribly rude staff in the restaurant. I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights so I had to experience the wrath of one particular waitress every morning and I must say it put a complete dampener on my morning every day and my overall stay in this hotel. We were not greeted upon arrival, if I said bonjourno I merely got a stare, once seated we were not asked if we would like a hot beverage, and then were basically ignored for the entire experience unless we directly asked for assistance and then the service was rude and angry as if we were asking for too much. One morning when a colleague asked a waitress if we could order coffee from her (the only way to get coffee) she actually put her finger in this lady's face and told her to 'wait' in Italian and then walked off where she proceeded set tables. (obviously a much bigger priority than the customers).

The funny thing was that all the guests had noticed the bad attitude from the staff (especially the hostile blond waitress) and we all started joking together that perhaps it was time for them to find another profession as customer service was definitely not a good career choice for this team.

Whilst breakfast is not everything in a hotel, I stay in lovely Como 4 times a year for business so breakfast is really the only time each day I experience the hotel service. The complete lack of service really frustrated me as this hotel is considered more exclusive than many other hotels in Como yet the staff were so unprofessional and disinterested in their guests.

SO my personal advice is don't stay at the Palace, its pretty but looks aren't everything!! I would however definitely recommend staying in either the Barchetta hotel or Metropole Suisse hotel in Como.

BARCHETTA - this is the sister hotel to Palace (50m down the road) and I have stayed here numerous times and whilst the exterior facade of the hotel is not as pretty, the overall service from ALL their staff (especially the restaurant) is outstanding. The location is right on a piazza and beautiful in summer with the lake view rooms.

METROPOLE SUISSE is a gorgeous quirky hotel (right on the lake, opposite Barchetta) with quaint room designs (ask for a piazza view) and again their service is brilliant from the moment you check in to the moment you leave. Breakfast staff are really lovely, by morning two they remember you.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank travelbelle13
gmbarchetta, Direttore generale at Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2011

Dear Sir,

thank you for your recent review. I am very sorry to hear about the bad service you perceived during breakfast. This is usually one of our strong points and other reviews have considered it to be very positive both in terms of quality and service. However, through your accurate description I have been able to identify the waitress you mentioned and will definitely take according measures to rectify her attitude.

We greatly appreciate all reviews from our clients as they help us to highlight any weak points in our organization and enable us to react rapidly and put remedy. Our intention is that to deliver a very high standard of service at all levels.

Should you return to Como, please contact me personally. I would be very happy to welcome you once again to the Palace Hotel.

Yours sincerely,
Robert Webber
General manager

Reviewed January 29, 2011

The hotel was very nice and the rooms quite spacious for a European Hotel. The room was very clean and the amenities included were great. The staff was friendly and the breakfast, which was included with my room, was excellent. I ate no other meals but breakfast at the restaurant, however, the menu looked great and the restaurant was crowded most evenings. The hotel is situated in an excellent spot for walking to dining, shopping and the many beautiful sights within the city of Como itself. It is also situated close to public transportation. My only two complaints were: 1) the internet access was very expensive:( and 2) they charged 15 euros/day for parking. Overall the Palace Hotel of Como, Italy is a fine choice and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Okay, I will be honest to fellow travellers. This hotel has a great location (walking distance to como downtown) and the rooms facing the lake have an amazing view. I think these two are the hotels best things. Outside it seems like a trip back in time but the rooms should be upgraded, the furniture is old and for 140 euros per night i expected a lot better. I read some reviews that said the breakfast was great.
Sorry, but for me it was one of the pourest I ve seen. Croissants that were not french croissants but something that looked but didnt taste like it. Only toast bread and if you wanted eggs you had to pay extra. The parking for your car was also extra charge. In front of the hotel though it has an ice cream shop in a small garden with amazing ice cream! If you find something better for the same money go there, if all else is far away or very expensive stay here!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2010

This hotel has a lovely view of Lake Como. We had quite a big room with a view of the church. The breakfast was the best we had in our 2 weeks stay in Italy.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2010

The Palace Hotel claims to be a a real former palace and its reception rooms such as the main dining room would reflect this. However, a plan of the bedrooms shows that the former layout has been sub-divided so that previous bedrooms have been split into four! Don't expect much space for your money. For example, there wasn't enough room for two suitcases to be laid out or even to open the minibar fridge. We paid a £35 supplement for a 'superior' lakeside room but it was smaller than most on the city side and quite claustophobeic. Another gripe is that the TV didn't work and wasn't fixed despite our complaints. However, the hotel is quite impressive from the outside, it's set in a great location, breakfast was quite impressive and the reception and general staff were very fiendly and helpful. Pre-booked prices are reasonable but avoid extras such as room service as prices are exhorbitant. Only worth considering if part of a cut price deal.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PhilofEnglandLondon
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed 3 nights and had a great stay. The palace hotel is in a magnificent location - right on the lake and very close to the city centre. We walked from San Giovanni station which is about 15 minutes. It is a beautiful city with great shopping and of course the magnificent lake. The hotel building is impressive and the staff were friendly and efficient. The room was OK but not special, but was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was very good. There is internet connection in the room which cost us about 5 euro for an hour - there was free wi fi in the reception area. The breakfast was excellent and we had a wonderful meal in the restaurant - it wasn't cheap but the food and service were exceptional. There are numerous restaurants close by with lots of variety. The Palace was a bit more expensive than we would normally pay, but we felt it was well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Como
Grand Hotel Imperiale
#5 of 32 in Como
Royal Victoria
Royal Victoria
#1 of 6 in Varenna

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!