Mini Hotel Baradello
$233
Travelocity
$148
$129
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Do not be scared off by how ugly this hotel looks on the outside. Aside from old and stained carpeting, our room and bathroom were very clean and had adequate furnishings for the price. The hotel is on a busy street, but windows give great sound insulation for good sleep. Breakfast is ample, delicious, and the kitchen staff is nice. Receptionist is weird.

There is a great family-owned restaurant across the street, where you can have a tasty pizza-based meal with wine for 10 euros a person.

Hotel is far from the city center, but easy to reach by buses #8, 4, and 1. To go to the city center, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. You can buy tickets at the reception.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank OlgaJenks_Oklahoma
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I've just completed a 6-night stay in the Mini Hotel Baradello in Como, Italy, and I have absolutely nothing but fantastic things to say about it. It's Hotel quality as a Hostel price.

The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful - they shift regularly, but after a few days you'll find you recognize them all just as they recognize you.

The rooms themselves are quite spacious by European standards - we were expecting a typical tiny room, but our room was the size of any room at a standard American chain hotel. The beds were easily movable, and the room included desk space and plenty of shelves and closet space. The bathroom was quite spacious too, and the air conditioning worked beautifully (almost too well!). Our room had a tiny balcony as well - not suitable for actually spending time on, but excellent for letting in some outside air and ambience. The room itself was as clean as can be - the carpet was a bit faded, but there was nothing that one could justifiably complain about.

The included breakfast is surprisingly bountiful - it consists of cereal, crossaints and rolls, along with excellent cheese and butter spreads, jams, and complimentary coffee and juice. The cheese was among the best I've ever had.

Every room is equipped with a phone and TV - right there head-and-shoulders over hostels in the area - as well as Internet access for a daily fee. The fee is high, but matches that of every other hotel I've seen in Europe.

The hotel lies in a fairly urban area, right off Piazza Camerlata, and so traffic noise can be a minor problem if you plan to sleep late. And as others have mentioned, the hotel does lie a fair distance away from the lake itself, but travel to the lake is simple - the #1 bus line stops right outside the hotel and runs straight to the lake itself. It runs every 10 minutes or so, and takes only 10 minutes to get to the lake. The out-of-the-way location also provides a nicely non-touristy feel, and the restaurants are much more competitively priced than those nearer downtown.

Overall, our experience at the Mini Hotel Baradello was fantastic by any standards - but introduce the incredibly low nightly rate, and it's in a class of its own. It's cheaper than any Hostel I found in Como for the same time period, but yet it's most certainly a Hotel through and through. I highly recommend the Mini Hotel Baradello to absolutely anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank joynerCN
Reviewed February 22, 2009

We stayed for one night. Our impression was good. Clean, TV, a/c, with private parking, genlty personel and owners. Not close to the center - you need transportation. I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank VASPLS
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Very disappointed with this hotel - not what I expected to find in Como and sort of took away from the impression I had of this otherwise wonderful part of Italy.

Rooms were dirty with blood on the floor and the bathroom had definately not been cleaned that day.

Would not recommed

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Quinner27
Reviewed August 8, 2007

I'm fine with non-luxury hotels because I try to spend my vacation money on adventure and memory-making moments not fancy hotels, but this hotel left me wishing I'd spent a little more and maybe I would have left the beautiful Como area wanting to come back. We are a family of four (two teenage girls) and booked the room because it was the only one I could find in Como that would allow all four of us to be in one room the night we were in town. That is about the only upside of this hotel. The linens and towels were clean but the room seemed unclean and it didn't look like they had painted the walls in decades. Really, when you're filling your hotel night after night, year after year, would it break the bank to touch up the walls and replace carpet every 30 years or so? The whole hotel seemed in need of clean up and maintenance. The parking garage was down right scary. We parked in something that resembled the Bat Cave. The man behind the front desk was not friendly or helpful on check in or check out. In fact I would describe him as antagonistic. I felt like he just wanted to take our money and get rid of us even though we made no special requests. On the bright side, the housekeeping staff all wished us a cheery Buon Giorno and the women in the breakfast room were pleasant and polite. All and all, we would not return and I would not recommend this hotel. I like to stay in basic hotels at economy rates but there is a point when your entire stay in a town is overshadowed by your negative feelings about your hotel, and this hotel left us feeling like we could happily not return to Como.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank OffForAnAdventure