“Best location and wonderful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Barchetta Excelsior

Hotel Barchetta Excelsior
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Como
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Best location and wonderful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

My family all enjoyed our stay at the Barchetta Excelsior very much. The rooms were in good order with quiet air conditioning. The towels and sheets were changed every day, which was great as the weather was so hot. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was the best we could have asked for - right near the ferries and buses also not far from the Duomo.

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to have a lake view room - what a view!
1 Thank Ev52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

I booked this hotel having stayed there before and I knew what I was booking. I had three rooms this trip and two were with balconies facing the water and one was not, it made me realise that the real big thing this hotel has is its location. The staff were helpful. The breakfast was good.
You are right on the lake with the old town seconds from the door. I would stay there again as really the location is the best and although the hotel is getting tired it is still a lovely hotel.
I have given this hotel 3 stars as I feel it is over priced as a hotel but it is not over priced as a location!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_HBE_PAL, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Elizabeth,
thank you very much for your recent review. I am very pleased you chose Barchetta once again for your stay in Como. I also appreciate your sincerity and I have noted your comments.
Looking forward to your next visit,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel with my family, the location and staff make this hotel. It has lake views, the boats and buses are are both right outside. The train station is only a few mins walk too.
I can't stress enough just how good the staff have been. Laura and Valentina and Luca for front of house were excellent. Always friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Cosimo was another star make great efforts to accommodate us and my son. Chat and help us out with food and info. Just Wonderful. The only downsides I would say that that hotel does need up dating and the internet was only available in the lobby and was hit and hit at best. You can get it in your room but it is chargeable.
The beds were firm up ok for me

But all in all and excellent hotel with brilliant staff, close to all you need in Como.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Martin H
GM_HBE_PAL, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Martin H,
thank you very much for your wonderful review. Your compliments are greatly appeciated and I will proudly share them with my cherished team.
Looking forward to your next stay with us!
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

A great hotel right in the centre of Como with great views overlooking the lake and very good breakfast. We stayed for three nights. The only downside was that we had to pay for the wifi which was only available in the lobby and was very slow and unreliable. We only discovered on our last day that we could access free wifi in the town square just outside the hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Paul M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

stayed on business in Lake Como and this hotel was already picked for me, however, I would go back every time.
Staff very friendly and pleasant to deal with.
Breakfast not the biggest choice, but all seemed very fresh and room clean and tidy.
Lunch in hotel was very nice. Choose the dish of the day which was excellent.

Hotel is very central to the town and great views over the Lake.

Rooms very tidy, clean and quiet at night.

Room Tip: Ask for Lake View on booking.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

We are a family of 3, 2 adults and a child of 8. We are currently staying in the Barchetta Hotel in Como. This hotel, although it does not look as attractive as it's neighbours it certainly makes up for in it's big personality.

Plus points.

Location, Location, Location, right near everything Como has to offer.
Staff amazing and friendly, especially front of house Laura and Valentina and restaurant staff.
Had a few issues when we arrived but were dealt with swiftly, and professionally.
Currently staying in room 332, with lake view, which I would suggest booking to enjoy sitting out on the balcony in the evening and watching the world go by.

Bad points

Rooms small and need updating.
Internet only available in lobby which is very slow, there is a charge to access it from your room which I don't think you should have to pay for.

Would I return to this hotel ? YES

The location and the staff make this hotel a great place to stay and in my opinion the plus points out weigh the bad points.

Como is a wonderful place to visit and we look forward to receiving a warm welcome again when we check in to the Barchetta.

Room Tip: Lake View rooms are a must.
Dorset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Ideally located beside the lakeside and within the ancient Roman walls, this hotel was a superb base to explore Como, its ancient town and expensive shops, and the beautiful towns accessed by the lake boats.
The hotel itself was very comfortable with largish fully equipped A/C rooms including a mini bar but no tea and coffee making facilities which we have liked. The rooms were serviced well, with clean bed linen every day which we haven't come across in too many hotels. The toiletries were very nice too.
Reception was friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed great breakfasts on the first floor overlooking the lake. We only ate in the hotel on one evening, but that was excellent - from home made pasta with seafood, through fillet steak and a very delicious and unusual tiramsu to follow. We each had two courses, one glass of wine, bottle of water and two large beers - came to 95 Euros, but it was excellent throughout.
We booked early, and got a great deal through Olotels.com and paid £763 for 7 nights inc breakfast though this was not one of the lake facing rooms.
Free WiFi only in the comfortable reception areas, otherwise it was expensive in the room.
There was an excellent entertainment in the square one night, which was a lovely bonus.

Room Tip: If you want a lake view, preferably go high in case there is entertainment in the square in front, w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank tommyC64
GM_HBE_PAL, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your recent review. I am very pleased to read that you had a great stay with us at the Barchetta Excelsior. I will gladly share your compliments and positive feedback with my team. They are greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to your next visit.