“Great location in a charming town”

Hotel Barchetta Excelsior
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Como
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our 2 night stay here. The parking was at their sister hotel only 20m away which, although easy enough, wasn't as accessible as parking on site. Lovely hotel and bar area downstairs. Only negative was that I personally found the bed quite hard & pillows too high. I also would've liked tea/coffee making facilities in the standard room we had.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Victoria M
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased to read that you had a great stay with us at the Hotel Barchetta Excelsior. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
General manager

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We had originally planned to stay 2 nights in this hotel and ended up extending to 4 nights. The rooms are larger than average and the hotel is in a great spot- close to the restaurants, shopping and of course with views over Lake Como. The train station is 2 minutes walk and was easy to take the hour long trip into Milan for some shopping.
The breakfasts were great and the staff were friendly.
I would stay here again and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Aussiex3
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased to read that your stay at the Barchetta Excelsior was very nice and your compliments are greatly appreciated. I will proudly share them with my cherished team.
Hoping to welcome you back in the near future,
My warmest regards,

Reviewed April 18, 2014

After checking out of the Albergo Terminus we found the rooms we were looking for here at the same rate. The rooms were clean and roomy compared to what we left at the Albergo. Parking is available for 15 euros per day and nearby at their sister hotel, The Palace. We tried to book into the Palace but it was full.
Our rooms overlooked the plaza and had a clear, unobstructed view of the lake. Breakfast is included and offers eggs, bacon, sausage, different breads and rolls, fresh fruit, juices, yogurts and a selection of cereals and cold cuts. If this selection doesn't satisfy you Lake Como is probably not the destination for you. Staff is welcoming and informative. Wifi is free in the lobby and there are very comfortable chairs and lounges available.
The hotel is centrally located and convenient to all of the tourist attractions.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jim R

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review following your stay with us at the Barchetta Excelsior. I am very pleased to read you had a great stay and your description of the hotel and its services is
very accurate. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This wasn't our 1st choice, we'd wanted Lake Views at the sister hotel The Palace but when they weren't available went for Lake view here. This isn't the prettiest hotel from the exterior but it is classy, comfortable & well appointed in the public areas. The staff are all professional, efficient, helpful & courteous.
We had clean, comfortable ( if a little small) adjoining Lake View rooms on the 5th floor, with beautiful views of the Lake & the Piazza. The biggest disappointment was that the quaint cobbled road in front of the Hotel & beneath the balconies is constantly streaming with noisy, smelly diesel busses. This makes the balcony unpleasant to use but thankfully the glass is virtually soundproof & the views are still spectacular from inside the room.
The breakfasts, which we had included, are excellent, with a very good selection of cereals, fruits, pastries, meats, cheeses, yogurts etc. not as extensive as some but sometimes simpler is best & it was all delicious. The dining room is roomy enough that guests seemed very relaxed.
Wi-Fi was available only in the foyer, a bit if a hassle but worked fine.
The hotel is centrally located within very easy distance of all the shops, restaurants, attractions & public transport.
Como itself is delightful we cruised the lake, caught the funicular & drove the West Bank to the Northern extent of the lake- gorgeous. I'm kicking myself that we didn't buy some of the beautiful fashionable clothing on offer.
The highlight of our stay was coming back to our room to find that the maid, Silvia, had made the beds with the children's own cushions & soft toys placed in greeting. We were all very touched by this thoughtfulness.
I'd thought after visiting the v plush Palace that I still would've preferred to stay there but on our last day when we had to retrieve our car from The Palace there was a line up of unattended people at the reception & when a girl finally arrived she was snippy & abrupt I'd recommend Barchetta over it any day!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Erin C
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your detailed review regarding your stay with us at the Barchetta Excelsior in Como. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and appreciated our attentive service. I fully agree with you that sometimes, the smallest
gesture or detail can make the difference. Your compliments are greatly appreciated
and I will proudly share them with Silvia and all members of my cherished team.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future.
Robert webber

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Barchetta Excelsior in my opinion is a 3 star hotel right on the lake. The rooms are very small to American standard, but clean and beautiful. We didn't have a view of course. Breakfast was included in my tour price. Nothing fancy, just muffins, juice, coffee, fruits, etc. but the dining room gives you beautiful view of Lake Como. The price was good. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are bigger and of course, have beautiful lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jcv179
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay at the Barchetta Excelsior. Your room choice was that of a classic room. Should you return I strongly suggest
a lake-view room with a small rate supplement, but well worth it. Our hotel has over 60 rooms overlooking the lake, delighting our lucky guests with a breath-taking view.
The remaining 24 classic rooms have a city view.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Room size is great. We also had a room with a balcony overlooking the water. Quite a beautiful view on the 4th fl. The staff was good too. Very helpful and always around to answer questions.
You have to pay for wifi, that's fine. Had no problems connecting to it, I noticed some people have. But my connection was good and pretty fast. Breakfast was plenty for us, no complaints. The rooms were kept clean. Although the Lysol smell was strong for a bit. Location is awesome, close to everything from restaurants to shopping to boats to train station.
We were less than impressed with the heating and A/C. We went in March, the weather is all over the place with sunny days into the upper 60's but also cold nights. Neither the heat nor the a/c worked. It wasn't a problem, as we figured out a system of opening the balcony door and closing depending on temperature. But still.... I'd rather have working cooling and heating. Also, the TV did not work. Again, no problem, I didn't go to Italy to watch TV. But still (again), sometimes when you lie in bed on vacation it'd be nice to turn the tv on. (the issue was with the wall cable outlet, it was broken so the tv was connected to nothing, just stuck to a hole in the wall).
All in all, we had a good experience. I would recommend this place to a friend. And ultimately, I guess that is what is important. I can't give half stars but if I could, I would rate this 3 1/2.

Room Tip: Take the water view. Do yourself a favor!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Miggs1028
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review following your stay in March at the Barchetta Excelsior. I am pleased to read that you had a nice stay with us and I will gladly share your compliments with my team. They are greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear about the problems you encountered with the heating and TV. I can assure readers that they are both fully functional and should a guest report a problem, it is always dealed with promtly. We guarantee any type of ordinary repairal within the same day of it being reported. For information sake, A/C is available during the summer months and the installation is brand new. We have 25 TV channels, the majority of which are non-Italian.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Just spent 4 nights there with my wife. Booked a double with lake view. Were given a lovely large room 102 on the front corner of the first floor. We thought it was great as it had windows in two sides. Also had fold out bed in couch which like lots of these are ok for a bed but collapse so much impossible to sit on. Separate wardrobe room with safe and large bathroom, bit dated but ok. Place was clean and looked after well during our stay. However at 6pm next morning we thought buses were driving through our bedroom with their radios blaring. It happened that opposite the hotel is the major central bus stop for the old town and they start at 6am. Also the walls are so thin you can hear all the TV's from other rooms also loud voices. It's not noticeable until you try to sleep. Windows are double glazed but I guess building structure just let's sound travel. I would guess if you are at the back or on a higher floor outside noise will not be so much of an issue. Suggestion would be to avoid lower floor. Hotel is in great position opposite lake and boats, railway station to milan 2 minute walk as is the vehicular railway. On the edge of the old town with shops, restaurants and bars. The hotel breakfast is good and hotel now seems to have free wifi after lots of previous complaints I guess. At least I managed to connect in to a service without a password for the whole stay. Restaurant is top food, small menu but really first class and really actually cheap for what you get compared to the touristy places outside. One tip avoid WHY not bar out the front of the hotel as they have rip of cover charge €4.50 and then stil charge for bread. Parking off site €15 day. Would stay here again but only if I was not on first floor based on position. It's a good 3 star I don't see 4 stars especially not based on noise.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emelian

Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review. I hope your stay was pleasant with us at the Barchetta Excelsior. Sorry to hear about the noise in the morning. Normally our rooms on the higher floors guarantee complete silence as the window fittings are brand new and soundproof.
At the time of your stay we were fully booked and therefore unable to accomodate you on
the upper floors.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future,