“Excellent location and views in Bellagio!”
Review of Hotel Bellagio

Hotel Bellagio
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
California
“Excellent location and views in Bellagio!”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The hotel is as central as it gets in Bellagio- close to ferries, food, and main attractions. Higher level rooms have the best views one could possibly imagine from this beautiful lake!

All staff from front desk to restaurant were fluent in English very helpful and most welcoming. Contrary to some reviews here on value, we found this hotel a great bargain for the views, location, and staff friendliness...Italy is not cheap, but the hotel is price very well for what one gets.

Rooms were clean..beds were fine, windows have an automatic opening and closing feature with auto curtains as well which were pluses kinda cool!

Room Tip: Request high level lake view floors
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2011

A little info on the travelers: we are 2 young female Australians. We were traveling for leisure, the things we appreciate in our accommodation is cleanliness, value for money & good service.

SUMMARY:
The Hotel was clean, but bad value for money & well below average service. When you take into account the rates charged to visitors, it's just plain wrong.
However, that is Italy. It is a beautiful country with great food & wine- but really poor work ethic.

The surroundings of the Hotel are lovely. Lake Como is a really beautiful area, although a little commercialized compared to other areas of the country.
The views from our room were wonderful!

The uncomfortable bed & terrible breakfast ruined the stay for both of us. But we still loved the Bellagio area. If you're staying nearby- don't go past Bilacus Restaurant in Bellagio. Amazing food, great service with a smile & very reasonable. It's a rooftop alfresco set up with beautiful vines growing over. Lovely :) I uploaded a photo of the entry to the restaurant, if you want to check it out.

MORE INFORMATION:

We stayed at Hotel Bellagio at the end of our Europe trip in May 2011. It was our last Hotel before coming home to Australia, so we splurged & upgraded our Hotel suite to full lake views. I didn't see the view from any other rooms, but I would say it's worth the upgrade because our view was beautiful. You can see Villa Balbianello across the lake at Lenno. Very nice :)

I had a few friends tell me their bad experiences of Italy before my trip, so I knew what to expect. However, always the optimist - I wanted them to be proved wrong. This was not the case.

If you are traveling to Italy, be PREPARED. In Lake Como, the public transport all finishes around 7-8pm. We arrived at 7.30 to find out we could not get from Como to Bellagio until the next morning- we were told to simply pay for a backpacker & go in the morning! We declined, and started looking for a taxi- knowing we would be ripped off :(

We walked around until 8pm looking for any signs of life, we finally found a taxi- he drove away. We found another taxi who flat out refused to take us that far. The third taxi asked us for 70 euros to drive to Bellagio from Como. I counter offered but he would not budge on the price, so we begrudgingly accepted the ridiculous amount of money (that's almost a days work for me)

If I knew there was a chance we could find another taxi, I would not have paid the money.

So he drives us to the Hotel Bellagio (he was nice enough, just greedy haha)
To get to the Hotel, you need to climb about 30-40 steps [from memory] there is no way around this so beware those with luggage or disabilities.
However, that is Europe! Steps everywhere, so take good shoes :)

You can imagine - 2 girls in their 20's - after 6 weeks of shopping in Paris & London & Switzerland, that we had quite heavy bags... but I digress

When we finally reached the Hotel lobby, we were greeted by a disinterested receptionist - who did not stop her conversation in Italian with another employee to welcome us, or even address us. This went on for about a minute when I interrupted her, she just told us our room number & pointed to the lift.

Thank god there is a lift, that is one good thing I will say about Hotel Bellagio. There is an elevator! :)

The room was decent. The bathroom was clean, and spacious enough to dry my hair (always a plus) we shared a double bed, which was fine- but it was the most uncomfortable, rock hard, noisy, squeaky bed I have ever tried to sleep in.
It was really uncomfortable, and I can sleep anywhere usually. My friend said the same thing, she couldn't sleep very well on it.

In the morning, we went down to breakfast. I don't eat sweet things for breakfast - I like eggs or toast with butter & coffee.
Everything at breakfast was sweet. There was cereal, juice, croissants with jam inside, pastry with jam inside.
There was toast... with jam. If you're a sweet tooth, you will be in heaven. But my friend & I just wanted some damn eggs.
Especially with all the walking in Italy, we really needed the protein haha.

At breakfast, you can order a real coffee & I think it's included (we weren't charged & we had cappuccino's each morning..) So that was one saving grace.

Even if you don't mind pure sugar for breakfast, the quality of the food was just terrible. Especially when the Hotel rates are so high.
There is Hotel du Lac next door that has an alfresco restaurant, we didn't have breakfast there- but we did eat there once & it was ok. So they might be a better bet for breakfast, if you're wanting something substantial.

After breakfast, we are told that we need to change rooms because the Hotel double-booked us. Isn't that great?
We booked the Hotel suite 9 months in advance & confirmed our reservation TWICE, and they double book us. Not great management.

I can forgive human error easily, but they were unapologetic & unprofessional about the change. We weren't even offered any help to move our bags to the new room, a simple gesture would have been nice, it was their error after all.

Anyway, we were glad to leave the bed from hell. Unfortunately the new bed was no better. And the second room was smaller, even though we paid for the upgrade. But neither could be bothered complaining, so we just went with it. We would be home in 3 days anyway.

I sound like I'm whining, but all we wanted was a comfortable bed & decent breakfast - those two basic needs were not met by Hotel Bellagio.

Room Tip: Upgrade to lake views :)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jen_van_Worrall
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in September
Great weather and views breakfast great outside on terrace
We had room 402 great view of lake
We will return to this super boutique bed and breakfast
Bellagio is a delightful place go and visit

• Stayed September 2011
Sanford, Florida
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed here in September 2011 for one night. The location was great and easy to get to everything. Rooms were clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Bellagio is a lovely city. Ate at La Punta and even though the location and view was fabulous - the service and food was only adequate. Lake Como was beautiful and the lake views were a wonderful setting to get us in the mood for our vacation travels.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We loved our stay here. The hotel was easy to get to; the staff were pleasant, helpful and courteous; and the room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Good value for money for the location, with views of the lake from many of the rooms. Good breakfast too. If we came back to Bellagio we would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011
brisbane
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed at this Hotel in August 2011. Great location with very helpful staff. The rooms are clean and serviced daily. Breakfast is lovely, especially out on the terrace where there are views of the lake. Would recommend this hotel highly and would stay there again without a doubt.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Amazing views from our room (403) of the lake and the mountains. Great location in the middle of Bellagio with friendly staff. Being in the middle of Bellagio, you have to walk up several stairs to get to the hotel. The room and the bathroom were clean and overall the room was quiet. The bed was pretty hard, but this seems normal in Italy. There was a good selection for breakfast, including cereal, pastries, yogurt, cheese, coffee, cappuccino, and juice. There is an outside terrace on the top of the hotel with a good view of the town. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellagio
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
#2 of 16 in Bellagio
Hotel La Perla
Hotel La Perla
#1 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Hotel Bellagio? Share your experiences!