“The only place to stay in Bellagio, wonderful hotel”

Hotel Metropole Bellagio
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
San Bruno, CA
“The only place to stay in Bellagio, wonderful hotel”
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I've been staying at the Metropole for the last 25 years and have seen many changes. And they've all been good, mostly. The only thing that I am not happy with is that 25 years ago you had your cappuchino with 2 pots, one espresso and one steamed milk. Now it is out of a machine. I won't even tell you my room because I email Martina or Michela and ask when it is available. Only then do I make my airline reservations. The hotel has been beautifully redone in the last few years. My lakefront room (no hint) is very comfortable and I finally did see the rooftop sun area. Bellagio is a lovely little town, with cute little shops, good restaurants. The Carillon has the best pizza ever and the restaurant at the top of the stairs that I can't remember is very good. Someone said that service was bad and the only place that we encountered bad service was in the restaurant. The ladies at the desk, Martina and Michela couldn't be more pleasant. The housekeeping staff is also very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast, other than the coffee, and it has gotten better this year, is very good. Everything you could possibly ask for. It is pretty pricey, but in Bellagio I would never stay any other place.

Our most favorite restaurant, and it is not in Bellagio but in Cernobbio, in back of Harry's bar, is the Trattoria del Vapore. We found that we could take the ferry across to Cadenabbia and take a local bus to Cernobbio. It is a real trip. Last time on the way home the bus was so packed with school children that my husband was almost out the door, but it was fun.

Hotel Metropole and staff. I LOVE YOU.

Gail Costa from Burlingame, CA

3 Thank carmelag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
St. Louis
Reviewed October 25, 2009

My family and I are just back from Italy. My Dad had wanted us to see Lake Como after having spent a brief afternoon in Como. I booked two rooms in May for my sister, 11 yr. old niece, and myself at the Metropole. It was more beautiful than I could have imagined!!

We were so pleased with our rooms #109 and #112. Two of the six lakefront rooms with private terraces. Room #112 is very spacious and pretty with a large wardrobe, desk, mini-bar, safe, and large bathroom. The very best part was the spectacular views from our terraces. Room #112 has a very large corner terrace that gave us great views of the both the lakefront and some the covered arcade with shops and cafes.

Our second day, we decided to go shop for a picnic lunch. We went to the Alimentari up the hill and bought a roasted chicken, grapes, bread, strawberries, pistachios, mozzarella, tomato, and some wine. Wow!! My terrace had a nice table with two chairs along with two loungers. We laid out our spread and savored the view while enjoying our lunch.

The Metropole has a wonderful sundeck on the roof for guests to soak up the sun as well. We found the breakfast to be very good. It was a buffet spread with lots to choose from: yogurt, cereal, scrambled eggs, pancetta, rolls, toast, brioche, fruit, 3 types of juice, coffee, milk, and water. The breakfast room is pleasant with windows that face the lake and the mountains in the background. I thought it was a lovely way to start the morning.

The hotel is perfectly situated right smack in the middle of the village. A two-minute walk from both ferry stops and steps from shops, cafes, and restaurants. We found the hotel staff to be very helpful. They answered our questions on departure times for the various ferries, and printed a replacement plane ticket that had been lost along the way. The lobby has chairs and sofas for guests to sit and relax. They have a laptop computer they will lend to guests for 20 min. at a time. The hotel has a lakefront restaurant, coffee bar, and a gellateria too.

Only 15 minutes to Varenna-Esino where you can hop the train to and from Milan in just over an hour.

I would definately stay at the Metropole again and recommend that you try to reserve early to enjoy the rooms with private terrace. We even received a 15% discount for booking early. Ciao!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank europhilestl
manchester
Reviewed October 23, 2009

The metropole is in need of updating,we had a room with a view off the lakeside, it was stunning, nothing in front of you except lake como.
Straight into the hotel from the ferry port, so no transfers. breakfast was ok, but very basic. would recommend for a short stay, but would be tireing if stayed for more then two nights.not a great deal to do this time of year and most of the resturants were closed for the season. It was like a ghoast town at night when the shops closed.

3 Thank w_collins40
marietta, ga
Reviewed October 23, 2009

my friend and i booked this hotel over the internet. the website was easy to use. they even booked a car and driver for use upon our arrival. when our flight time was changed, they rebooked for us in response to our email within 2 hours. the room was huge with an equally large terrace right on the lake. the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful...full of information about other locations on the lake and how to best get there. the breakfast was very generous and was served in a lovely room with a lovely lake view. the location is perfect, right on the lake and main promenade. also free wifi each day for an hour. exceeded all expectations!! room 111 is the best!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank verysatisfied09
Dunfermline, Fife
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Metropole, Bellagio while on an 18 day tour of Italy with my husband. We had stayed in Bellagio on the first night of our tour, but at nearby Hotel Belverdere, we enjoyed Bellagio's charm SO much we came back for a second stay on our way home, but this time we chose a hotel overlooking Lake Como in the main town. We were not dissapointed with our choice.
Our room was absolutly massive and had 2 bedrooms. The master bedroom had balcony doors leadin to a shared roof terrace. Although it mainly overlooked the back and side of the hotel, we still had a beautiful view on the roof across the lake. The room was traditional italian style, very clean and spacious, with tv with a host of english and foreign channels, mini bar and modern bathroom.
We had dinner at the hotel, which was delicious and one of our best on our trip, as was the local wine we consumed. Sitting eating looking out across Lake Como as the sun goes down,,,,,AMAZING! What else can you ask for. It was a little pricey, but no more than you'd pay in UK!
The staff were all friendly and helpful and I wouldnt hesitate in returning to the hotel! Hopefully very soon!
If you have the pleasure of staying in Bellagio, or indeed this hotel, have a wander through the little streets and peep in at the good array of shops...its such a charming little place! A walk along side the lake is very pleasing to the eye and soooooooo romantic. I would imagine that even in the rain, Bellagio would shine!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samparschick
Sydney
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights in June last year on the 4th floor with balcony. If you stay here you must have a balcony view as this makes all the difference. We only ate at the restaurant one night as it was quite expensive but found a lovely restaurant called La Grotta - when we went the second night we were given a special table, the third night we were treated like family. Before dinner each night we would sit on our balcony with a glass of champagne and enjoy the wonderful view - this is some place!
We will be back next year.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Bristol, England
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Outstanding location overlooking the lake in the heart of everything! A lovely 3 star hotel and excellent value for the area. The view from our room was absolutely stunning. I dont' think you would get a better view anywhere else. Our room was spotless, the staff were very helpful. The breakfast was fine (have had better, have had worse). Bellagio is expensive as you would expect and we didn't eat at the hotel so we can't comment on the restaurant.

There might have been some noise from the ferry in front of the hotel , but it didn't bother us.

If you are looking to stay in Bellagio and want a good 3 star hotel - this one is outstanding!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellagio
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
#2 of 16 in Bellagio
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
#3 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Hotel Metropole Bellagio? Share your experiences!