“Good value, unbeatable location”

Hotel Excelsior Splendide
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed May 31, 2011

To all those who wrote about being disappointed in this hotel, I'd respond - it's Bellagio - what did you expect for this price? I found this hotel to be an excellent value and actually, an enjoyable stay. If you want the most posh hotel in town, look at Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, but expect to book it well in advance and pay three times more. The Splendide was simply furnished but clean and comfortable. Hey, if you're spending a lot of time in your room, you're either a newlywed or making a big mistake. The lake is beautiful - go outside. And, if you want a lovely lake-side pool and deck chair, you can pay EUR80 and rent one at the Grand Hotel without being a guest. At Splendide, breakfast was also included. And, they even opened the breakfast room early for me on the day of my departure - at 5:30AM. A thoughtful touch. The hotel is a short and level stroll from both the ferry and bus stops. The front desk staff were wonderful, polite, accommodating and spoke impeccable English (good thing, considering my Italian). While I can't really recommend the restaurant, I do recommend this hotel for last-minute plans or those on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank Equities4me

Reviewed May 31, 2011

It is a simple 3 stars hotel, which is have a good position, nice, cozy.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ovk2013
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and it was perfect. The view of lake Como from the window of room #21 was beautiful. It is a bit older, as all the hotels are. They do have an elevator, but we used the stairs. Nice pool as well. It's close to the ferry - but we did not hear any noise. Their restaurant for breakfast was very nice. It's close to everything. they were very quick with email replies to our questions prior to arriving - I can't say enough about their customer service! If there is to be a downer, it would be only one TV station in English - CNN. But that's not their fault. We had a wonderful time and would definately stay here again. Great value for the price!

Room Tip: Room #21 opens to a full view of Lake Como
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jackchas
Reviewed May 4, 2011

This hotel would have been an absolute gem in it's day. The original architechture is still there, charming woodwork, a beautiful staircase with painted ceiling, grand lobby... unforunately, it is dire need of a renovation, and perhaps a good scrubbing.

The hotel was one of the better 3 star hotels I've stayed in in Italy for several reasons:

1.) Large enough rooms. Your bed isnt touching the walls on three sides! There is space to put your things, EVEN room for a desk! Seemed kind of luxurious to have all of this room!

2.) Bathroom in the room, but with a door! Several places I've stayed advertise having toilet facilities in the hotel room, and boy oh boy, do they mean it! A toilet next to the bed?! No thanks! I think of having a door on the place I do my business as a necessity, and praise any 3* that has it!

3.) As mentioned before, the architecture. You can just imagine how amazing it was in it's day. It kind of transports you to a very glamorous time.

4.) Best of all, the location. As it is near the main parking lot for Bellagio, you dont have far to go, and no cobblestone streets to walk up with your bags! Wonderful views from the windows overlooking Lake Como, and at night, it is surprisingly quiet on the streets. (With the exception of a few standard Italian mopeds)

5.) Lovely service from the ladies at the front desk. Always willing to give you a recommendation, and seemed generally happy to have you there. A smile goes a long way.

My biggest complaint was that in our shower, the water seemed to back up quite quickly, so I'd have to do my bathing in two parts, one for sudsing, and one for rinsing, once the water level went back down. I'm sure it's not this way in every room, as my In-Laws had no problem in theirs.

All that being said, the hotel is basic. Basic, basic basic. AND dated. It could use a lick of paint, some new furnishings, and the bathrooms could use some updating and sound proofing! (You can hear your neighbors very well, but what are you really going to do about a 100 year old building?!) Please dont go in expecting the Four Seasons, cause it aint gonna happen. If you want a reasonably priced, conveniently located hotel with clean beds and sheets, then this is a great place to be. It's not a hotel you want to lounge around in, but that's ok, because the sites and sounds of Bellagio and Lake Como are beautiful, and not to be missed.

Room Tip: Pay in cash, and get a 10% discount.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank KizzleKatizio
Reviewed November 20, 2010

A really lovely hotel right next to the lake Food excellent. Bit of a hiccup to start with, but after that treated like royality

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JOHBUR
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We went to Lake Como to spend 2 days. It has my birthday. The hotel room had a small balcony with the view of the lake. It was beautiful. When we arrived to the room, minutes later, they brought to our room a bottle of wine because of my birthday. We weren't expecting that. It was a nice gesture. The hotel includes breakfast. Is very close to the bellagio boat stop so this makes it great to visit other villas. The experience was great!! Nice staff!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dsuazo
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed here during a convention. We expected the hotel to be a nicer place - maybe on par with a Marriott or Hyatt, but with some old-time charm. We were very disappointed. Before all of the other reviewers bash me for expecting too much, let me say that I had no problem with the vintage or appointment of the rooms. I was disappointed as to how poorly they have been maintained. This hotel COULD be a beautiful place to stay, with a little work. New beds and updated bathrooms would be great. Our room had two worn out twin beds pushed together - we walked in and found both beds sagging severely in the middle. Our bathroom door hit the tile floor and was very difficult to open fully. A piece of molding on the ceiling was hanging, about ready to fall off. Someone had smashed a bug in the sheer drapes... and the remains had not been cleaned. The carpet in the stairwells and hallways should have been replaced in the 1980's, as it is filthy and worn out. The lobby furniture is completely worn out. The wireless internet only worked in the lobby. The breakfast was horrible. From what I understand, 20 rooms have been renovated. Obviously, we didn't get one of those! Parking in Italy is difficult. We were directed to a free lot by the staff that was 1/2 mile away.

Hotel Splendide could be a very charming, historic place to stay, with lots of character. Too bad it isn't.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business