“A wonderful holiday retreat”

Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is the third time that my boyfriend and I spent a few days at the hotel. The staff, the room, the views were all exceptional. We stayed there last month and are already planning our stay for next June. It is a must anytime we go to Italy.

Room Tip: Request a room on the lake
1  Thank Laurie233

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had a junior suite room with a 20' x 20' balcony overlooking Lake Como. The room was small by some standards but the balcony was magnificent. The breakfast was extremely helpful with ideas of what to do. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to the start of the town, 10 minutes to the pier. The free breakfast was very good. We also had dinner their our first night after a long travel day and loved it. Just a note: we found the food in the Como area not as good as central and southern Italy. Our reservation said we had to pay for parking but they did not charge us. If you drive from Malpensa airport or any where from the south of Lake Como, I strongly encourage you to drive up the west side of the lake and take the car ferry from Cadenabia. For 15 euro it is worth it because the road along the east side of the lake to Bellagio is TREACHEROUS ! ! !

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I travelled here with my partner some years ago, however it's memory as a special place in my mind does not fade.

it was absolutely sensational.

We made our way to our room,a lovely decorated in classic Italian warm tones,but by far the most breathtaking moment was when I opened up the louvre window covers and gazed upon the most stunning view of a lake I have ever seen OMG.

adding to our stay was the lovely meal in the restaurant, knowing we were indeed revelling in a some of life's most spectacular moments ,we were very grateful.

All I can do is encourage you to do is to stay here, have a moment and enjoy a paradise by the lake.

Room Tip: Room with a view a must, evening in the restaurant essential.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WorldGirl9
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We spent a few wonderful days here. Great room. Nice balcony. Fresh bed and bath.
Helpful and fun staff. Amazing room to enjoy delicious meals with spectacular vistas.
One of my favorite amenities was that of the Library! I know...sounds boring, until you consider the view with a book or newspaper and a "room service" Negroni and sandwich...all in a peaceful almost private area. Think of the walk as exercise to work off the Italian food.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room with a balcony to enjoy the views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I pretty much agree with everything said by the review before this, 'putting the Bella in Bellagio' We are from the UK and have just returned from a week here. We decided to stay at the Belvedere as a treat after a difficult year with illness and the hotel surpassed our expectations; it's not cheap but boy was it worth it. You must have a lake view or you'll regret it, the view is stunning. Lake Como is beautiful and this hotel was the icing on the cake for us.

For some reason I hadn't quite clicked that the hotel wasn't actually in Bellagio and was a little disappointed initially (for about 5 mins!!) but soon realised it was a bonus as you have an amazing view and you also have peace and quiet with the birds singing in the morning, and efficient and professional staff making your stay a delight. It is only 5 min walk into Bellagio. Bellagio is the place to stay on the lake and you can see why as it's very pretty, but gets very busy during the day.

The staff at the hotel were all great, all very professional and very helpful - a particular mention for Elise who was so cheerful and friendly every night in the dining room. Housekeeping kept the rooms and the hotel simply spotless.

We had the half board menu for supper and the food was good. The Italians do their classic dishes like no one else can so we tended to choose dishes along those lines and thought a pasta dish in the main course section would have been good. On the whole there were 4 choices for each course. Breakfast was buffet style and there was so much choice, it was very good.

Our room (501) was spacious and the walls were so thick that it meant we stayed very cool in the incredible heat that they were experiencing (plus there was aircon) and also we didn't hear our neighbours. It was just something else to wake up and look out of your room at that view every day. We had table and chairs and sunbeds outside our room which was really nice.

Overall, a great area to visit and the best place to stay! A lovely hotel for couples, you can't get much more romantic than here.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and go for a lake view room, you'll regret it if you don't!
2  Thank csKent_10
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We recently returned to the Belvedere for week's holiday.
We love the location, with superb views of the lake, attractive gardens and heated swimming pool.
We enjoy the excellent range of breakfast food and the dinner menu is also of a good standard. The outstanding quality of this hotel is the standard of service offered by all the staff at every level. They go out of their way to ensure that your stay will be an excellent experience. If you have a problem they will do all they can to solve it.
We hope to return again next year.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank miseanseo50
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Thankfully their website doesn't do them the justice they deserve for if it did I probably wouldn't have been able to book a room (albeit the last available) 10 days out from my stay. This hotel is a jewel. Quietly removed (about 500m up a slight hill from the edge of the village and the ferry dock) sits the Hotel Belvedere. With 63 rooms spread in 3 or 4 buildings the hotel has the density to offer a full set of services (spa, dining, pool, etc.) but yet has a refined boutique or Small Luxury Hotel/Relais Chateau feel to it, almost. The front desk staff is friendly and attentive (Gloria, Camilla, Silvia, Salvatore, and one more name that escapes me.) I just spent the first three nights of June here and it was lovely.

As anyone who is reading this review would likely do I spent an exhaustive amount of time reading reviews here and on other sites, and while most were excellent there were a few that caused me trepidation. The main concerns in those reviews were A.) Location, and B.) Service

Allow me to put those concerns definitively to rest. I (44 year old out of shape male) thought the location was PERFECT. A 5 minute stroll from the edge of the village and 10 minutes to the Villa Serbelloni, is all it is. It is slightly uphill from the beginning of the village (more so from the ferry dock) and it is welcome and refreshing especially after a hearty meal at Barchetta or San Giacomo. The bonus of this is the peace, quiet and tranquility you enjoy at the hotel no ferry boats in sight, no throngs of tourists, just a beautiful view to the east across the Lecco arm of Lake Como.

The service: I come from NY and have stayed in numerous 4 and 5 star properties around the world, I have high expectations and they were certainly met and often exceeded at the Hotel Belvedere.

Our room (110) was of reasonable size (spacious if compared to a room at Hudson Hotel or the W Hotel in New York) and tastefully decorated and looked as if it had been renovated or refreshed within the past year or two. The shower was great (in contrast to experiences at other hotels in Europe.) And the room came with a spacious and lovely terrace with two chairs, a cocktail table, two lounge chairs and a jaw droppingly gorgeous view.

The breakfast service (included in our rate) was very good, with a large selection of fresh, quality items refreshed constantly. The hotel seemed relatively full during our stay and the service was up to the task.

What could be improved?

Pretty much the only thing that I felt needed a little tweaking was the dinner menu in the dining room. Maybe it is because I am of Italian roots or maybe it is the confidence I gained from Joe Bastianich giving my risotto a thumb's up in Season 4 of MasterChef (US), but I feel I need to give this feedback along with all of my earlier praises.

The dinner experience feels dated (not rustic or charming, just dated) compared to the beautiful and somewhat modern feeling dining room. The menu seemed a bit uninspiring, a bit overly emphasized on the lake fish indigenous to that area (Americans tend to be a bit leery of freshwater fish, but we should expand our horizons) and just a bit boring without feeling familiar. I think the clientele of the hotel might be more inspired by a menu that rotates through and focuses on a few regions of Italy periodically. The food was prepared fine and tasted ok, the experience was just a bit bland and old fashioned.

Would I stay at this hotel again? In a heartbeat, it is a true jewel and an amazing find. Please do not tell your friends!

Ciao.

3  Thank circanyc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellagio
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni
#1 of 6 in Varenna
Hotel Il Perlo Panorama
Hotel Il Perlo Panorama
#2 of 16 in Bellagio

Been to Hotel Belvedere Bellagio? Share your experiences!